Cash to widen Westside Road

lasnomadas
Übergod

Cash to widen Westside Road

Post by lasnomadas »

Hey folks, it's deja vu all over again. This was one of Christy Clark's 2013 election campaign promises, and if the West Kelowna electorate are foolish enough to elect her again, it will be put on the back burner until 2021like all the other promises.

I don't understand the mindset of people who insist on causing themselves unnecessary pain like this. It's rather sad, really.
4-Fishing

Re: Cash to widen Westside Road

Post by 4-Fishing »

Not sure what they are up to but the surveyors have been very busy on the Vernon end of Westside . They've been working from the 97W junction all the way to La Casa . Must be something up ?
Today is the day before tomorrow
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

That's the good part of that road. The worst part is from Fintry to West Kelowna. I know, because I drive that way to visit my family in Salmon Arm. If they're working on the Vernon end, BCLP MLA Foster must be trying to drum up some votes.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The work that has been done on Westside Road as per Clark's promise has been awesome.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Fancy wrote:The work that has been done on Westside Road as per Clark's promise has been awesome.

Don't ruin the hype!

Seriously, are people so dumb to comment on things they know nothing about?

There are still very bad crumbling, twisty sections approaching Fintry from WK and then some bad sections towards Vernon after that. But it's much better and I would assume still more planned to do. A substantial improvement has been made. Go drive it. Then speak from first hand experience instead of keyboard warrior armchair expert status. AKA ignoramus
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's more work to be done for sure and it's ongoing. Had to time our comings and goings so as not to get stuck during the closure times.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

lightspped, glass half empty kinda person eh. Its been worked on, being worked on and will be worked on. Did you think someone would snap their fingers or wiggle their nose and it would be done?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Steve-O wrote:lightspped, glass half empty kinda person eh. Its been worked on, being worked on and will be worked on.

Uh...that's pretty much what I said.

Sorry that I typed in Swahili or was it Farsi, or Arabic? I forget now. But yeah. Same same.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#191278
In 2014, the government made a commitment to spend $45 million over a five year period to improve the road which was named the worst in B.C. in a BCAA survey three years in a row.

Construction is expected to begin in the fall, with completion in the fall of 2018.

Here's a link to what's been accomplished and what is coming:

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/trans ... st-kelowna

lightspeed - I had no problem understanding your post
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Yet you still felt the need to call the poster an ignoramus. Why not just make your point?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Steve-O wrote:lightspped, glass half empty kinda person eh. Its been worked on, being worked on and will be worked on. Did you think someone would snap their fingers or wiggle their nose and it would be done?
That post reflects the OP better. One would think if they have driven that road they would notice the work that has been done and the equipment.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

The last time I drove that road was last fall, and the only construction that had been done at that time was a 2km stretch somewhere around Lake Okanagan Resort (can't remember the exact location). I doubt if much has been done over the winter months. Since this Westside Road promise was made four years ago, it would appear that the BC Liberal movement on road construction can be described as 'glacial'.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I posted the link that describes the improvements and date completed. There has been major changes to that road including pullouts, better alignment and widening and that's been over the last few years.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

We took a short video in the fall of 2016 during a drive through of the construction site and wanted to share it with you. Check it out here: - See more at: http://tranbc.ca/2017/02/14/a-westside- ... O2IYy.dpuf

This is only one part of improvements made.
More here:
http://www.rocktoroad.com/roads-paving/ ... -road-2498
Work completed on Westside Road this year includes a northbound slow-moving-vehicle pullout near Wilson Landing, and 380 metres of realignment and widening with concrete roadside barrier installation at Cinnabar Creek. Work still underway includes a southbound slow-moving-vehicle pullout 1.5 kilometres north of Bear Lake Forest Service Road near Pine Point. - See more at: http://www.rocktoroad.com/roads-paving/ ... xlyRy.dpuf
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Not very impressive. The first link shows that little piece I saw last fall and there's a map of a few little pull-outs that can hardly be described as 'highway improvements'. The other links are 4 years old. I don't know which construction company the BC Liberals hired to do this, but IMO they're either very incompetent or they're just milking the BC taxpayers for as much as possible, and the Transportation Ministry doesn't care.

Return to “Central Okanagan”