Site C

lasnomadas
Übergod

Re: Site C

Post by lasnomadas »

According to the latest poll, 63% of BC Liberal voters want the project halted until more environmental and economic studies are done. How does it feel to be one in only 37% who follow Christy like a blind little puppy?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:According to the latest poll, 63% of BC Liberal voters want the project halted until more environmental and economic studies are done. How does it feel to be one in only 37% who follow Christy like a blind little puppy?

About the only thing polls are good for these days is peeler bars. [icon_lol2.gif]

A lot of people self admittedly mess around with polls just to annoy others.

It says a lot also, that you can't process the fact, that you've been told numerous times, quite a few of the ones you're arguing with, aren't Liberal supporters, but rather, judge the project on a variety of legitimate other factors.

Kind of suggests that you can't properly process other information either.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

maryjane48 wrote:yes well since im not the premier your directing your request to wrong person . but if i was premeir bchydro would only be a conduit for people to share or sell exrra power . tesla is getting final approval to sell the powerwall in canada . it is already being used to power 2 islands .

Since when do you need to be Premier, to provide proof as to how well your solar energy production is going, and all the gobs of money you're making selling power to the grid?

Man if hot air was a clean energy source, this thread alone could power a small city!
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

According to the latest poll, 63% of BC Liberal voters want the project halted until more environmental and economic studies are done. How does it feel to be one in only 37% who follow Christy like a blind little puppy?

Are people bringing out that ridiculous poll again? Read the question that was asked in the poll. It was worded in a way that almost everyone would say yes. Try something unbiased this time.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I didn't see the poll, only the results. Sounds like you read the poll, so I guess it was sent to BC Liberal voters only.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:I didn't see the poll, only the results. Sounds like you read the poll, so I guess it was sent to BC Liberal voters only.

Very mature, and you wonder why you're not taken seriously I'll wager. [icon_lol2.gif]

Seriously now, do you actually see anything other than what you want to?

One has to conclude, NDP diehards must be issuing truth filters to all their buddies, so the only thing they see, is the altered facts that support their agenda.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I wasn't trying to be amusing, just saying that I didn't receive the survey. Your wailing and flailing at the NDP is getting quite tiresome. If you'd like to discuss the Site C issues, may I suggest some reading material that could help you understand them better:
'hilltimes.com'
'greenoptimistic.com'
'canadians.org'
'kamloopsthisweek.com'
'hydroworld.com'
'eventbrite.com'
'commonsensecanadian.ca'

The Globe and Mail, Victoria Times Colonist, and even the Vancouver Sun and Province have some good info at times.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Maybe lasnomadas you should stop reading opinions on those sights that are often bias or the author has no real idea what they are talking about. Study power systems so you understand the things you are talking about and how they work. Study the systems you are prompting, how they work, how they do or don't fit well into those systems and our area. Study how they are built and the emissions etc. in the process. Study how long they last before they have to be replaced. After that read these things you talk about with some prospect of understanding what they are saying and whether or not is it reasonable. Don't just jump on peoples opinions because they agree with yours.

I admit I am not as up on it as I was when I was in the industry but I still have enough understanding to separate truth and fact from pie in the sky dreams.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

lasnomadas wrote:

I spent most of my morning trying to do as suggested, that is, reading as many comments on the Site C dam as is possible in a few hours. Fortunately, or unfortunately, however one wants to look at it, my 'hobbies' are not nearly as varied as some other commenters here. Actually, I only have time for one hobby, and that's doing everything I can to protect our environment from the BC Liberal government. That's no easy task, since my only tools are the written and spoken word.

I do however, as do all British Columbians, have one weapon in my arsenal in my fight for the environment, and that is my right to vote. And I intend to do so, as I have in every election since the 1960s. But since that only happens every four years, I'll continue in the meantime to read everything I can on projects such as the Alberta tar sands, the various diluted bitumen pipelines, fracking for LNG, and of course the Site C dam. I am presently 4th in line at my local public library for a book called "The Peace In Peril", by two men who paddled down the 83km stretch of the Peace River which is slated to be flooded by the dam reservoir, taking photos and writing of their experiences as they travelled.

So, contrary to popular opinion, my research has not been solely from 'left-leaning' news sites, although I do find them more truthful than their counterparts. I do look forward to reading more of Hobbyguy's comments on Site C and many other topics, though. He certainly seems to spend far more time than I do researching many topics on these forums, and surprisingly, I agree with most of what I've read. Our biggest differences appear to be political.

You seem to be admitting that you do not have the time to do the research you would like to do to understand what you are fighting against. I can sympathize with that but do you think it is possible that you are doing yourself, your cause(s) and whatever an injustice by not truly understanding whether what you are saying or writing is right or wrong. Not only that you are accusing people of doing exactly what you say you are doing or is it okay for you because you are too busy.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

No, all I'm saying is that I read as many news articles on the topic as I can, and I don't think any of them are biased one way or the other. Well, that's not entirely true. Most of BC MSM is biased, mainly because Postmedia has been in bed with the BC Liberals for years, so you won't get many 'inconvenient truths' from them. Aside from the websites I've listed, I find Maclean's very informative, and the local Peace country news sites very believable as well. The Alaska Highway News and the Dawson Creek Mirror are two that I visit regularly.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

lasnomadas wrote:No, all I'm saying is that I read as many news articles on the topic as I can, and I don't think any of them are biased one way or the other. Well, that's not entirely true. Most of BC MSM is biased, mainly because Postmedia has been in bed with the BC Liberals for years, so you won't get many 'inconvenient truths' from them. Aside from the websites I've listed, I find Maclean's very informative, and the local Peace country news sites very believable as well. The Alaska Highway News and the Dawson Creek Mirror are two that I visit regularly.

Nice to know you can read, now if you could only realize that site c is needed,and not listen to ndp propoganda. :smt045
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Yes, lasnomadas but how many of the people writing those articles have a true understanding of the whole situation or are many of them just articles by news media writers that are voicing their opinion on hundreds of things but do not truly understand them. What some of us are trying to say is forget opinions that might or might not be right and educate yourself on the subject so that understand if these things will even work. Hobbyguy has done a lot of the work for you and given links to facts not opinions. If you want to disagree with him give us some facts to prove he is wrong, not just yours or someone else's opinion. I believe even the JRP in the end gave their approval to the federal and provincial governments to go ahead with their approvals. I could be wrong. I also seem to remember that some time back the BCUC gave approval subject to the need for power. They just weren't asked again this last go around. Again I could be wrong. My opinion/thoughts.

Report of the Joint Review Panel
On May 1, 2014, the Joint Review Panel submitted its report on Site C to the federal and provincial
governments, as part of the independent environmental assessment process.
The Joint Review Panel report stated: “The Project would not have any measureable effect on the
Peace-Athabasca Delta.” (page V)
On the effects of Site C on the hydrology the Peace River, the report stated: “The Panel concludes
that the Project would make small changes to the hydrology of the Peace River, and such changes
would be attenuated by the time the flows reach Peace River, Alberta.” (page 22)
Finally, the panel reported: “The Panel concludes there would be no effects from the Project on any
aspect of the environment in the Peace Athabasca Delta, and a cumulative effects assessment on the
PAD is not required.” (page 42)

https://www.sitecproject.com/sites/defa ... 2016_0.pdf

I know this is by BC Hydro but I believe it is verifiable on the links they give.

lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

The fact that you're getting your information from BC Hydro is evidence that you are wrong about the JRP and the BCUC. Dr. Harry Swain was the chairman of the JRP and he says just the opposite. Furthermore, the BCUC disapproved the application for the Site C dam every time it was proposed, first by Bill Bennett's Social Credit government in the 80s, and then by Gordon Campbell's BC Liberal government . That's why, when Christy Clark proposed it again, BC Hydro decided to by-pass the BCUC entirely.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

lasnomadas - you still haven't read the thread. The poll that you reference has been discredited. Go back through and you will see that.

Read the darn thread and you will, as pointed out, find all of the case for site C made with independent sources. Otherwise, you just come across as an NDP shill.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:The fact that you're getting your information from BC Hydro is evidence that you are wrong about the JRP and the BCUC. Dr. Harry Swain was the chairman of the JRP and he says just the opposite. Furthermore, the BCUC disapproved the application for the Site C dam every time it was proposed, first by Bill Bennett's Social Credit government in the 80s, and then by Gordon Campbell's BC Liberal government . That's why, when Christy Clark proposed it again, BC Hydro decided to by-pass the BCUC entirely.

Thank goodness no one has ever listened to the BCUC - they sound like a bunch of backward-thinking blockheads.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”