B.C. Political Ads

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Re: B.C. Political Ads

Post by gordon_as »

Contrary to what CC4BC would have you believe in their dirty Liberal money adds , here is what Mr. Horgan actually said in the interview that they selected a couple of sound bites from.

... and I don't begrudge the good people who worked on the Leap Manifesto , and I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the leap manifesto. What I want though , as the leader of the BC NDP is to put forward a platform to the people of this Province , that we can actually implement , that will see economic growth , that will see a reduction in our greenhouse gas emissions , will see innovations that will lead to new energy sources , and new energy opportunities for all British Columbian's.
And transit , as a fundamental pillar of the Leap Manifesto , I absolutely support that. In the lower mainland getting people out of cars , and building more transit so we can move goods and services around in our metropolitan areas.... all good .... , so , when I said "hold on" on the leap manifesto , what I was saying was "that's fine for the federal NDP and talk about those issues as much as you want " ..... My responsibility as a political leader in British Columbia that has to put forward a viable platform in an election campaign is " I'll put forward my Leap manifesto in the next election , and people can make their choices there.
And why I did that grant is because the BC Lieberals , the day after the NDP convention in Edmonton , were saying " this is John Horgans roadmap to disaster "
How can you have an intelligent discussion with the public about the needs of the future ..........

Oooohhhhhh , ominous . I better Vote for Crooked Christy
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

May 9, 2013 - 844 votes
How do negative ads affect you?

No affect at all: 228
More likely to vote against the party making the ad: 590
Could sway me to vote for the party making the ad: 26

Would be funny if Christy and her bought and paid for friends at CC4BC ticked off just enough people to loose an upcoming election.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I heard it through the MSM grapevine that this crop of BC Liberal propaganda ads would be over today, so I'm waiting to see what they come up with tomorrow to spend our money on. Attack ads that would make even Harper blush, perhaps?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

gordon_as wrote:
Would be funny if Christy and her bought and paid for friends at CC4BC ticked off just enough people to loose an upcoming election.

That would have to be a ton of votes. The NDP is facing an undivided right, and the Green Party (a party that has been doing what the NDP has failed to do over and over again, articulate an actual position. A terribly silly and insane position, but a position nonetheless) is eating away their support on the Left. The NDP is actually in a lot of trouble and I expect them to lose a lot of ground this election.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Political ads that deliberately mislead the Public regarding what their opponents have said are a disservice to the Public (even those who support the ads originators). Because such ads take away our right to hear the true facts, and make our own decision based on what those facts are.

When I first heard the ads purporting to show Horgan as a supporter of the Leap Manifesto who, if elected, was hoping to bring something similar to BC, I thought "how could any politician be so stupid as to show support for the very thing that cost his Federal counterparts the election?". And I'm sure many other folks thought the same. But now that I've had a chance to read his remarks in the context in which they were originally spoken, I'm not quite as critical of what he said. Because it's clear to me that he's trying to say that while not everything in that Manifesto was a bad idea (which I agree with) the overall document did not have his support (a view I also share).

I'm still not going to vote NDP, but it won't be because of Horgan's views around the Leap (now that I better understand what those views are). But it really bugs me that the Liberals feel the only way they can win is by misrepresenting what the NDP stands for. There are plenty of things the Libs can talk about to "blow their own horn" (despite the many missteps they have made) without having to resort to misleading ads about their opponents. It would be far better for the Public to be reminded about the "good" things the Libs have done while in power, and told about the things they intend to do for BC if re-elected.

BOTH Parties would help improve the democratic process if they followed such a formula. And we all would benefit in the end.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

What 'good things' have the BC Liberals done over the past 16 years? Don't be afraid to submit the list; it's very short.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:What 'good things' have the BC Liberals done over the past 16 years? Don't be afraid to submit the list; it's very short.

Vernon Jubilee Hospital

Kelowna General Hospital

Penticton General Hospital

Four laned Hwy 97 from Peachland to Summerland

Four laned Hwy 97 from Vernon to Armstrong

Installed center dividers on Hwy 97 from Kelowna to Vernon

Built the Hwy 97 Oyama Bypass

Built the Hwy 97 Bailey Road intersection

Built a couple of overpasses on Westbank Indian Band section of Hwy 97

Installed center dividers and intersection improvements on Hwy 97 from the bridge through to the connector in Glenrosa

Built the Sea to Sky highway

Major improvements to Westside Road that are ongoing

Improvements to Hwy 6 in Coldstream

Widening of Hwy 97 to 6 lanes from Hwy 33 through to Edwards Road along with intersection reconfigurations

Improved Hwy 33 through Black Mountain, and again up by the Big White turn off.

Bennett Bridge

Port Mann Bridge

Lion's Gate Bridge

George Massey Tunnel replacement

Replaced some ferries

Site "C" Dam :biggrin:

Last trip to Calgary I recall quite a few sections of Hwy 1 were being improved.

Tolls on Coquihalla Hwy were removed.

Okanagan Centre for Innovation - another thing the Liberals invested in.

That's just off the top of my head items I've seen personally, or am aware of, with no doubt in my mind at all, that there are far more that could be added to the list, located in other parts of BC.

How about you put up a list of what the NDP did last time in government. Pretty sure that will be a short list, because studies don't count.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Apr 7th, 2017, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Old Techie wrote:Replaced some ferries

How about you put up a list of what the NDP did last time in government. Pretty sure that will be a short list, because studies don't count.

Hey, the NDP replaced some ferries too!

Errrrrrrr....

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Merry wrote:When I first heard the ads purporting to show Horgan as a supporter of the Leap Manifesto who, if elected, was hoping to bring something similar to BC, I thought "how could any politician be so stupid as to show support for the very thing that cost his Federal counterparts the election?". And I'm sure many other folks thought the same. But now that I've had a chance to read his remarks in the context in which they were originally spoken, I'm not quite as critical of what he said. Because it's clear to me that he's trying to say that while not everything in that Manifesto was a bad idea (which I agree with) the overall document did not have his support (a view I also share).
Fair enough, Merry, except that there's a big difference between "not everything in that Manifesto was a bad idea" and "I don't disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto." He went on to say that he would bring in his own Leap Manifesto. He's been less than clear about his relationship with the Leap Manifesto for one of the following reasons:

1. He was very careless with the way he worded the statement.
or
2. He's trying to appeal to the extreme environmental faction of his party and the union faction at the same time.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Merry wrote:But it really bugs me that the Liberals feel the only way they can win is by misrepresenting what the NDP stands for

Sorry Merry, but the Liberals don't know any other way. If they were anywhere close to honest about what they have done the last 4 years (read 16) then no one in their right mind would vote for them, so they have to lie and misrepresent it's all they know how to do. I wonder what billboard De Jong will take out this year. Any bets the Leap will be a part of it somehow..!!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

krocky wrote:Sorry Merry, but the Liberals don't know any other way. If they were anywhere close to honest about what they have done the last 4 years (read 16) then no one in their right mind would vote for them, so they have to lie and misrepresent it's all they know how to do. I wonder what billboard De Jong will take out this year. Any bets the Leap will be a part of it somehow..!!

Do you deny that Horgan said what is in my signature line?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Rwede wrote:
krocky wrote:Sorry Merry, but the Liberals don't know any other way. If they were anywhere close to honest about what they have done the last 4 years (read 16) then no one in their right mind would vote for them, so they have to lie and misrepresent it's all they know how to do. I wonder what billboard De Jong will take out this year. Any bets the Leap will be a part of it somehow..!!

Of course I don't deny it, but he didn't say it together in one sentence nor in the context you are trying to portray but that doesn't matter as long as it paints the NDP in a bad light, which I assume is what you are going for, soooo...
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Rwede wrote:

Here is what he said :
"and I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the leap manifesto. What I want though , as the leader of the BC NDP is to put forward a platform to the people of this Province , that we can actually implement"

Will you be editing your signature line ?
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 7th, 2017, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed* :1422:
Last edited by ferri on Apr 7th, 2017, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”