Discuss the upcoming elections here.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by George+ »

No!
Please!
Not the much beloved Christy...

While struggling against a microphone that wouldn't stay upright, she commented, "I'm not going to say it reminds me of my ex-husband."
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

She probably shouldn't have said that but it was a joke. There is a difference between a joke and the constant barrage of sexist attacks that she's received. Some who are disgusted with her joke, and pretty well everything else she says, are fine with the sexist attacks on her. Funny how that works.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Gone_Fishin wrote: I don't recall any sexist remarks from anyone against Dix.

It's weird how the usual suspects here develop amnesia when their hypocritical stances are brought into the light. Since no one seems to remember Dix being ridiculed and called ugly and other things, here's at least one thread with proof:

https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=31256&p=1101528&hilit=ugly#p1101528

NAB wrote:
What I don't get is why a thread about Christy Clark seemingly constantly invites off topic posts from some about the NDP.

The green Barbarian wrote:
because it's funny? Adrian Dix is such an ugly guy - I just like posting pictures of him purely for humourous purposes. Plus - the NDP sucks.

This is one example out of a million that can be found just by searching through some old topics.

Why was it perfectly acceptable for people to call Dix ugly and ridicule him in 2013 but the EXACT SAME people have a problem with other users making sexist remarks about Christy Clark?

Hypocrisy.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Then, Urbane, you would think her princess comment
about the Seattle soccer team, was just a joke also?
Implying that girls can't play soccer is bizarre for a female leader..
And...
Better stop here,
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:Then, Urbane, you would think her princess comment
    about the Seattle soccer team, was just a joke also?
    Implying that girls can't play soccer is bizarre for a female leader..
    And...
    Better stop here,
No, she was criticized for the soccer comment at the time and rightly so. It was a stupid comment. Unfortunately, when we look at the flip side, i.e. the barrage of sexist rhetoric directed her way, the NDP cheerleaders are all for it. They say that she's asking for it or that she deserves it. Or that the comments aren't sexist at all. Denying the obvious!
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

How about some specific examples...

I can think of a couple anti NDP posters who are rabid.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:How about some specific examples...

I can think of a couple anti NDP posters who are rabid.
I've provided plenty of examples in the past such as the comment that the premier dresses to attract gullible men. Of course that's sexist but when you live in a world where everything that Christy Clark and the Liberals do is bad, and I do mean literally everything, and nothing that the NDP does is ever bad, then of course the default answer is to deny the obvious when it comes to the sexist comments.

I said in the last election and I say it again now: The Liberals deserve to be defeated. However, those of us who are in favour of clean, green hydro-electric power, those of us who favour responsible resource development, and those of us who favour a strong economy can't vote NDP. We saw what happened in the 1990's and don't want to see it happen again. And we definitely don't want to see John Horgan bring in his own Leap Manifesto as he promises to do.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

What's obvious to me is that for Christy's supporters, there is a double standard. It's okay for her to ridicule others because 'she was just joking', but when someone ridicules her and it's obviously a joke even though [icon_lol2.gif] isn't added, then her fans take umbrage. Why is that?

Now how about that Kelowna bridge debate? Or did you concede?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

lasnomadas wrote:What's obvious to me is that for Christy's supporters, there is a double standard. It's okay for her to ridicule others because 'she was just joking', but when someone ridicules her and it's obviously a joke even though [icon_lol2.gif] isn't added, then her fans take umbrage. Why is that?

This has been your most common rebuttal which is effectively you only saying "I know you are but what am I" again and again, much like the NDP you need to bring more to a discussion than the actions of a 5 year old and not knowing that is simply missing the obvious.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Urbane wrote:Unfortunately, when we look at the flip side, i.e. the barrage of sexist rhetoric directed her way, the NDP cheerleaders are all for it.

How exactly do you know for an absolute fact that these "cheerleaders" are NDP and not Greens, Independents, Conservatives or even disgruntled Liberals? Admit it, you don't.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:What's obvious to me is that for Christy's supporters, there is a double standard. It's okay for her to ridicule others because 'she was just joking', but when someone ridicules her and it's obviously a joke even though [icon_lol2.gif] isn't added, then her fans take umbrage. Why is that?

I didn't defend Christy Clark's joke. If you go back and look you'll see that I commented that she probably she shouldn't have said it. It was a joke though and I'm sure you understand that. And I'm sure you understand that the comment about her dressing to attract gullible men is not a joke. Ditto for many of the other sexist comments directed her way. As to the "bridge debate," you claim that the engineers were mistaken and that the floating bridge was perfectly good so take it up with them.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Hurtlander wrote:How exactly do you know for an absolute fact that these "cheerleaders" are NDP and not Greens, Independents, Conservatives or even disgruntled Liberals? Admit it, you don't.
By reading their posts. Not everyone who opposes the Liberals is voting NDP but I'm talking about those posters on here who are planning to vote NDP. People who say things like, "Vote NDP. Don't vote Green. You'll only elect Christy Clark again." Just to give you an example.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Urbane wrote:By reading their posts. Not everyone who opposes the Liberals is voting NDP but I'm talking about those posters on here who are planning to vote NDP. People who say things like, "Vote NDP. Don't vote Green. You'll only elect Christy Clark again." Just to give you an example.

What people ? I've can only recall one or two (maybe three, but I doubt it) people saying such a thing..yet everyone who admits that they will not vote Liberal this election is being falsely accused of supporting Horgan and the NDP..
Póg Mo Thoin
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Is it showing sexism towards Christy when people make comments that they think Christy Clark is "darn hot" while discussing this obviously photoshopped picture that Christy allowed to be released to the public ?

http://www.provedplusprobable.com/100-w ... -shes-hot/
Póg Mo Thoin
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Hurtlander wrote:What people ? I've can only recall one or two (maybe three, but I doubt it) people saying such a thing..yet everyone who admits that they will not vote Liberal this election is being falsely accused of supporting Horgan and the NDP..
Not I. Of course there are people who plan to vote Green or Conservative or for an independent. But when people have nothing good to say about the Liberals, everything good to say about the NDP, and nothing to say at all to say about any other parties then it's fair to infer that they're NDP supporters. I've been called a Liberal cheerleader even though I've said for two elections in a row now that they deserve to be defeated. All I know at this point is that I won't vote NDP but in my riding I do have the luxury of casting a vote for a non-Liberal without fear of electing an NDP MLA.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”