Denying the obvious

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Denying the obvious

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:More sleaze from the NDP:

"We have obtained documentation concerning the activities of the B.C. NDP, Strategic Communications, the municipal political parties, Vision Vancouver, Coalition of Progressive Electors and the Surrey Civic Coalition, and B.C. NDP officials in Saanich, B.C., which show serious and ongoing breaches of the Personal Information Protection Act."
http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/04 ... ut-consent

I hope that everyone in BC reads this and understands that its not in the best interests of the people of BC for the NDP to be taking over government. This kind of NDP corruption and malfeasance just cannot be tolerated. It's time that party was disbanded.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Actually a the taxation issue is pretty simple: everyone should pay in accordance with their ability to do so.

All the rest is feldergarb put up by those who want to "free ride". Either the far left who want to tax the heck out of the wealthy so they don't have to pay, or the far right who believe nobody should pay taxes, especially corporations and the wealthy so that they can "free ride".

And if you are going to quote Reagan, you need to do so in context:

"The business of our nation goes forward. These United States are confronted with an economic affliction of great proportions. We suffer from the longest and one of the worst sustained inflations in our national history. It distorts our economic decisions, penalizes thrift, and crushes the struggling young and the fixed-income elderly alike. It threatens to shatter the lives of millions of our people.

Idle industries have cast workers into unemployment, human misery, and personal indignity. Those who do work are denied a fair return for their labor by a tax system which penalizes successful achievement and keeps us from maintaining full productivity.

But great as our tax burden is, it has not kept pace with public spending. For decades we have piled deficit upon deficit, mortgaging our future and our children's future for the temporary convenience of the present. To continue this long trend is to guarantee tremendous social, cultural, political, and economic upheavals.

You and I, as individuals, can, by borrowing, live beyond our means, but for only a limited period of time. Why, then, should we think that collectively, as a nation, we're not bound by that same limitation? We must act today in order to preserve tomorrow. And let there be no misunderstanding: We are going to begin to act, beginning today.

The economic ills we suffer have come upon us over several decades. They will not go away in days, weeks, or months, but they will go away. They will go away because we as Americans have the capacity now, as we've had in the past, to do whatever needs to be done to preserve this last and greatest bastion of freedom.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price. "

So there is the context of the Reagan "bumper sticker" that folks like to use. The context was serious inflation, and Reagan's solution was for all to bear the burden. That does NOT square with the taxation policies of the right today.

And yes, I was choked to see the BC Liberals eliminate the top income tax bracket.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Urbane wrote:More sleaze from the NDP:

"We have obtained documentation concerning the activities of the B.C. NDP, Strategic Communications, the municipal political parties, Vision Vancouver, Coalition of Progressive Electors and the Surrey Civic Coalition, and B.C. NDP officials in Saanich, B.C., which show serious and ongoing breaches of the Personal Information Protection Act."

I hope that everyone in BC reads this and understands that its not in the best interests of the people of BC for the NDP to be taking over government. This kind of NDP corruption and malfeasance just cannot be tolerated. It's time that party was disbanded.

It's interesting that the leftist rag National Observer has a picture of Christy Clark instead of John Horgan in the article. Wouldn't it be most appropriate to have the guilty Horgan's picture? The complaint was filed by Sharon White of the Liberals, not CC. Typical left wing media fail.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Oh, that's so funny in view of the ChristyLiberals easily viewed names and addresses of supporters - which Christy blatantly and FALSELY accused Horgan and the NDP of 'hacking their website'... Did Christy and her ChristyLiberals 'hack' the NDP website or that of Vision Vancouver?

Pot, meet kettle. [icon_lol2.gif]
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    Pot, meet kettle. [icon_lol2.gif]
In other words, BOTH parties are sleazy. That's what I've been trying to say for a long time.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^Umm... Tell us Urbane, what 'sleazy' or 'corrupt' things have the NDP been accused of over the past 16 years? Curious minds want to know......
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:^^Umm... Tell us Urbane, what 'sleazy' or 'corrupt' things have the NDP been accused of over the past 16 years? Curious minds want to know......

Just a few quick examples for you:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... le1215277/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e33045874/

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/b-c-ndp- ... -1.1239754

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/carole-james-wants ... g-1.576825

And this NDP MLA had some relevant comments:

Life outside the B.C. NDP caucus is quite liberating for Guy Gentner.

“I’m no longer MLA, and I can say things maybe I couldn’t or was reluctant to speak about before,” the former Delta North representative told the Georgia Straight in a phone interview.

“Things” like the party has become “unethical”.

Gentner didn’t run for a third term this year despite polling numbers indicating that the B.C. NDP would likely win the May 14 election. As it turned out, the B.C. NDP blew its lead and lost the election.

As the NDP undertakes a review of the debacle, he wants the party “to take a very close look at itself”. “The problem is the party itself,” Gentner said. “There’s something wrong at the core.”

Putting it more bluntly, the ex-MLA declared: “The party lacks integrity.”
http://www.straight.com/news/399226/for ... -unethical

And you deliberately excluded the time when the NDP was actually in government when you asked me to provide examples but you know well that there are lots of examples during that time period as well.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Petty nonsense and recycled so many times it is boring.

Urbane, do you read the negative Lists for the Liberals?...
For the last fifteen years, that you so proudly defend.

How could you vote for a party that pushed a young man to suicide?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Urbane:
And all of these cost the taxpayers of BC absolutely NOTHING! Not like the $15 MILLION Christy is spending on her political advertising on the taxpayers' $$$$$$$.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ To both George and to flaming: Your comments are the reason I started this thread. You deny the obvious when it comes to the NDP. They simply can do no wrong or if they do it's petty or somehow inexpensive because the NDP has been in opposition. Malfeasance is only a negative when there's a price tag on it I guess. A former NDP MLA has the decency to call his party unethical and rotten to the core and you look the other way. BOTH parties are sleazy but keep on trumpeting the virtue of the NDP if you like. The only people you're fooling, though, are hardcore NDP supporters.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

There probably is nothing more UNETHICAL and MORALLY CORRUPT than covering up an issue that caused severe damage to 8 health researchers reputations,their jobs, humiliation, the collapse of a small company that employed 10 people, and resulted in the death of a young and promising researcher who was doing his thesis on the effectiveness of an anti-smoking drug.

I seriously doubt that ANY party in Canada can match this kind of malfeasance.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:There probably is nothing more UNETHICAL and MORALLY CORRUPT than covering up an issue that caused severe damage to 8 health researchers reputations,their jobs, humiliation, the collapse of a small company that employed 10 people, and resulted in the death of a young and promising researcher who was doing his thesis on the effectiveness of an anti-smoking drug.

I seriously doubt that ANY party in Canada can match this kind of malfeasance.
Again, you asked me to point out corruption in the NDP and I did so. You respond by going back to hammering away at the Liberals. Yes, the Liberals deserve to be criticized and I've acknowledged that. But those of you who absolutely refuse to acknowledge any malfeasance on the part of the NDP are denying the obvious.

By the way, I think my position is realistic. I've acknowledged the sleaziness of the Liberals and two elections in a row now I've said that they deserve to be defeated. For the poster earlier who put down the free enterprise system it's easy just to vote NDP. But I believe in the free enterprise system and I believe in things like responsible resource development. And I believe in projects like Site C.

I also believe in some of the things that have been ridiculed on here such as the hospital expansions, the WR Bennett Bridge, the new medical schools etc. The message that the Liberals have done nothing right is ludicrous. They've also done plenty to deserve being booted out and if only there were a free enterprise alternative I would support that alternative.
Last edited by Urbane on Apr 8th, 2017, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^So do you actually believe that if the NDP are elected in May that they will carry on with the same kind of arrogance, corporate/union favoritism and governing for their own benefit as the present ChristyLiberals do??
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:^^So do you actually believe that if the NDP are elected in May that they will carry on with the same kind of arrogance, corporate/union favoritism and governing for their own benefit as the present ChristyLiberals do??
See the comments that I just added to my previous post. If the NDP wins the election they'll cater to those groups that are now advertising on their behalf and/or contributing to the party. Duh! Anyone who thinks otherwise is . . . denying the obvious!
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

`I'm ba-ack, and I see that the BC Liberal supporters want to discuss everything except the health researchers investigation.
I wonder why? :biggrin: This is something that's going to be a big election issue whether you like it or not. There have been many government scandals over the years, but none quite as heinous as this one.

And you know what, hobbyguy? That Reagan quote you submitted could just as well have been written by Tom Mulcair or John Horgan. It sounds very much like the NDP philosophy. Just delete 'United States' and add 'Canada' or 'B.C'.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”