NDP campaign run by USW, $600,000 in cash from USA

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

NDP campaign run by USW, $600,000 in cash from USA

Post by Rwede »

ELECTION 2017: Union backing revives donor debate

Steelworkers paying for NDP campaign staff, Christy Clark targeted for corporate cash

TOM FLETCHER Sun Apr 23rd, 2017 6:00pm NEWS

Big donors and foreign donors have been a defining issue of the 2017 B.C. election, with most of the attention on B.C. Liberal leader Christy Clark and the millions in corporate donations the ruling party has collected.

NDP attack ads focus on donations from property developers while housing prices soared in Metro Vancouver, and a $50,000-a-year party salary for Clark that has since been replaced by undisclosed expenses for her party activities.

But as the campaign began, the biggest donation ever in the province was reported by Elections BC, more than $600,000 from the United Steelworkers. The windfall came from the party’s U.S. headquarters and various locals representing mostly forest industry employees in B.C.

Then the NDP confirmed that its two senior election staffers, campaign director Bob Dewar and deputy director Glen Sanford, are contract employees of the United Steelworkers, hired and assigned to run the campaign.

NDP leader John Horgan has campaigned for years on the corrupting influence of big money, said Green Party leader Andrew Weaver, who has declined all but personal donations.

“How can you trust a leader who publicly talks about how big money corrupts politicians, and then quietly goes into a back room and strikes a deal with a union to have them pay for his senior staff?” Weaver said.

SNIPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

http://www.abbynews.com/news/election-2 ... or-debate/
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: NDP campaign run by USW, $600,000 in cash from USA

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Looks like the NDP has a major case of the pot calling the kettle black.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The hypocrisy of the NDP is breathtaking. NDP supporters on here are lining up their excuses but there simply are no excuses for being a world class hypocrite. And that's precisely what Horgan is.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

In light of this new information some suggested campaign slogans for the NDP:

Do as we say and not as we do.

A little corruption in the right place isn't so bad after all.

Hey, look over there!
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Urbane wrote:The hypocrisy of the NDP is breathtaking. NDP supporters on here are lining up their excuses but there simply are no excuses for being a world class hypocrite. And that's precisely what Horgan is.

And a bully..."NDP insiders privately admit Horgan does himself no favours by dishing out nasty personal shots, especially against a female opponent"

A whiner..."I thought we were supposed to be on the clock, Bill"

A mansplainer..."maybe you should read sometime"

A creep..."I'll just sit here and watch you. I know you like that"

and a liar..."It's fully costed"
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Horgan reminds me of the old white guy at the union hall in the 1950s.

No women allowed. Talk down to people. Be a bully. A sexist. A creep.

I hope he keeps doing these things so that the electorate can see him for what he is.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 24th, 2017, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

BeingHuman wrote:So what is to stop one of us from opening up another discussion thread titled "US Corporations and Special Interests donate BIG to BC Liberal Party"?

Or we could just lump everything into one thread and call it "Politics is a dirty business".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

This issue deserves its own thread. Kudos to Andrew Weaver for taking the highroad. Shame on Christy Clark for not banning corporate and union donations and shame on John Horgan for being a big hypocrite.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

This issue deserves its own thread. Kudos to Andrew Weaver for taking the highroad. Shame on Christy Clark for not banning corporate and union donations and shame on John Horgan for being a big hypocrite.

Amen to that.
Hearing Horgan denounce this practice while quietly doing the exact same bloody thing is just beyond the pale. :200:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Yes, we're all aware who the Green Party advocates are on this and other threads. I would never suggest that people shouldn't vote for the party they believe in, but to continually slam John Horgan for accepting a $600,000 union donation while at the same time ignoring the $12.5+ corporate donations to the BC Liberal party is really low, and it leads me to believe that these self-professed Green Party advocates are not what they claim to be.

There are true Green Party promoters, and then there are the BC Liberal promoters who are aiming for some vote-splitting between the NDP and the Greens. Well, guess what? You're going to get a huge surprise when you find out that it's the BC Liberal voters who switched their votes to the Green Party in the upcoming election.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Rwede wrote:Horgan reminds me of the old white guy at the union hall in the 1950s.

I hope he keeps doing these things so that the electorate can see him for what he is.

[icon_lol2.gif] those traits just helped the current President of the USA get elected.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:Yes, we're all aware who the Green Party advocates are on this and other threads. I would never suggest that people shouldn't vote for the party they believe in, but to continually slam John Horgan for accepting a $600,000 union donation while at the same time ignoring the $12.5+ corporate donations to the BC Liberal party is really low, and it leads me to believe that these self-professed Green Party advocates are not what they claim to be.

There are true Green Party promoters, and then there are the BC Liberal promoters who are aiming for some vote-splitting between the NDP and the Greens. Well, guess what? You're going to get a huge surprise when you find out that it's the BC Liberal voters who switched their votes to the Green Party in the upcoming election.
Here's what you're ignoring though: You say, "but to continually slam John Horgan for accepting . . ." but why don't you also say, "but to continually slam Christy Clark for accepting . . ." You're just adding up the dollars collected and are mad because the Liberals have accepted more. You fail to acknowledge the principle that Andrew Weaver is pointing out. I understand this latest story is a huge embarrassment for NDP'ers but it's better to deal with it rather than make excuses.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Hurtlander wrote:
[icon_lol2.gif] those traits just helped the current President of the USA get elected.

That's right, they did.

Uneducated bigots, sexists, racists...the list goes on and on.

Says volumes about an NDP voter.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Rwede wrote:Horgan reminds me of the old white guy at the union hall in the 1950s.

Actually that's a rather bizarre analogy when you consider it was unions that fought for equality in the workplace. A more accurate analogy would've been a corporate boardroom, or a Fox TV talk show host.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”