Mill Creek flooding, who cares?

DrowningDuck

Mill Creek flooding, who cares?

Post by DrowningDuck »

Regarding your story yesterday about Mill Creek flooding:
In my experience, the City is apathetic. As Sharon said in your story, it's unclear which department you're supposed to contact when flooding occurs. And when you do reach someone at the City, the response is useless. All they can say is, "it's the homeowner's problem". Or you get the kind of bone-headed response they gave her about "dynamiting the log jam".

Many of us with homes on Mill Creek had severe flooding issues in April 2012. We were told the flood was due to a weir gate further upstream, which should have been activated but wasn't. This story explained how it was supposed to work: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/article_7b7f39ca-2220-538d-9010-0500ee587e6c.html?mode=story

If this diversion system is working properly, and if the City and Fire Department are doing their jobs and monitoring the situation, then the flooding problems on Mill Creek should never occur. Yet, five years later, nothing has changed. Many of us had flooding issues this past weekend. City staff were unreachable, and it remains "the homeowner's problem". Glad to know my taxes are being put to such good use.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Mill Creek flooding, who cares?

Post by lesliepaul »

City of Kelowna could care less about your flooding problem............they do not see it as their problem. The best they could do from some stories I have read, they may bring you a yard of sand and a few bags.

Now, in Winnipeg where flooding is quite common the city responds QUITE differently. During the flood Winnipeg (Manitoba) had in 1997 a friend who lives along the river with about a 60 foot wide yard had the city drop off 4,500 FILLED sand bags........this for ONE yard.

This city (council) has had the same outlook forever...........water will recede and snow will melt..........why get involved.
DrowningDuck

Post by DrowningDuck »

West Kelowna's council appears to be more on the ball. They deposited sand at flood-prone neighbourhoods early in the season and made sandbags available, so at least residents of those areas could do some preparation. Kelowna's advice? Pick up empty sandbags and fill them yourself. Where? How? At the beach with a shovel? Anyone got a forklift they can loan me? Making filled sandbags available to residents along the creek would be preferable, but a nearby deposit of sand and sandbags would be a step in the right direction.
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

This should not be the City of Kelowna's issue. It is a well known fact that the creeks will flood every 5-10 years. Only someone clueless would buy a house next to a creek. There should be no insurance as well, as there will be a claim every 5-10 years as well. They should build a wall at there own expense and keep it up year round. They sure brag about their lovely little creek and the park like setting when it doesn't flood. Deal with it.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

A friend of mine had to call last night because her street was under water. The water was coming out of the storm drains.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

DrowningDuck wrote:West Kelowna's council appears to be more on the ball. They deposited sand at flood-prone neighbourhoods early in the season and made sandbags available, so at least residents of those areas could do some preparation. Kelowna's advice? Pick up empty sandbags and fill them yourself. Where? How? At the beach with a shovel? Anyone got a forklift they can loan me? Making filled sandbags available to residents along the creek would be preferable, but a nearby deposit of sand and sandbags would be a step in the right direction.

Why would/should other people's tax money go towards sandbags to protect your home? If the flooding is due to water from the sewer system,, yes that's an issue. If it's over-land water from the creek that people chose to live close to, seems that would be their problem.... a friends waterfront home got flooded in Sicamous a few years ago....he didn't like it but figured that's a risk living waterfront.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Apr 24th, 2017, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Black Dogs Matter
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

it always amazes me that people move to a place like High River and buy property adjacent to the river and then wonder why they get flooded, there is a reason the place is called High River to begin with ... its nice to live on the water front, be that lake or river, but it does come with some inherit risks... those risks are for the property owner to deal with.
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

City of Kelowna does post some flood plain maps and other information for Mill creek on their website:https://www.kelowna.ca/city-hall/city-government/bylaws-policies/mill-creek-flood-plain-bylaw.

For those having issues with flooding, you should be talking to your MLA as creeks are a provincial jurisdiction.

Mill Creek is connected to Mission Creek with a large culvert from the Home Depot are over towards the Mission Creek Regional park to give flood relief. So generally speaking this takes the pressure off Mill Creek, but introduces additional water and silt to Mission Creek.

On that note, generally speaking, the province has been taking more of a hands off approach to Mission Creek and presumably the same applies to Mill Creek. To me, those who say this is an issue for those just along the creek, really don't understand the larger issues. All of Kelowna is on a flood plain and the management of creeks and streams is important. In the past, Mission Creek and Mill Creek used to flood large areas of Kelowna.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

[
Why would/should other people's tax money go towards sandbags to protect your home? If the flooding is due to water from the sewer system,, yes that's an issue. If it's over-land water from the creek that people chose to live close to, seems that would be their problem.... a friends waterfront home got flooded in Sicamous a few years ago....he didn't like it but figured that's a risk living waterfront.
[/quote]

I know what I would expect from my tax dollars.........some think EVERYTHING is extra. Probably not old enough to know what our taxes have covered in the past.
Not PC

Post by Not PC »

Wise people from the 1800's advised never building a house next to a river. I wonder why...

When in doubt, the City of Calgary is a good reference point to the argument.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

So great to see so many that live in a community as beautiful as the Okanagan valley is - be so anti-community to their fellow residents. What the hell is wrong with some of you? The city of Kelowna has been allowed to surround Mill Creek practically since the days of Father Pandosy, and yes, every once in awhile the runoff and weather conditions creates high water. These tax-paying home owners aren't asking for some massive financial bail-out. The would just like some sand and bags conveniently located in the area they can fill to protect their homes. I was involved with a volunteer fire department back in the early 90's when the lake level rose to flood height. Just like in the weeks that surrounded the fires of 2003 that swept the east side of the valley, community pulled together manning sand bag stations all along the Abbott St. and Lakeshore Rd. corridor. People helping people. Some of you are real pieces of work, and I'm disappointed at the complete lack of community and utter contempt for others displayed here - over and over.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

lesliepaul wrote:
[

I know what I would expect from my tax dollars.........some think EVERYTHING is extra. Probably not old enough to know what our taxes have covered in the past.[/quote]

I think we all know what you expect :smt045
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

vegas1500 would probably say the same thing about the Kelowna Mountain fire in 2003..........."you built near trees..........tough luck".
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I believe Vegas is better than that.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Flooding 2017”