How will the election results affect you personally?

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

How will the election results affect you personally?

Post by Urbane »

If I were forced to make a prediction about the May 9th election I'd have to say an NDP minority (or slim majority). If that happens, how will it affect me? I'll be unhappy to see the NDP take over the province but I won't be sorry to see the Liberals given a timeout. Perhaps a new party will emerge from the loss (if they do lose). Personally, it will mean little to me unless Horgan wants to throw some free stuff my way. I worry about our kids and grandkids because I think the economy will suffer with the NDP in charge just as it did in the 1990's but maybe British Columbians need a reminder now and again as to why the NDP has only won three elections in 80 years. Bottom line: Regardless of which party wins on May 9th I expect little impact on my life personally.

How about the rest of you? How will the election results affect you personally? Please don't rehash the old arguments from all the other threads. This thread is about how you personally will be affected by the election results.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: How will the election results affect you personally?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Once the dust settles I'm certain I'll have less money left to spend under an NDP government.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

If the NDP win and my girlfriend convinces me to marry her, we may be leaving the country, along with our two businesses which generate a great deal of income tax. It depends on when the People take control. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but I'm not optimistic.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

My Crystal ball is bust So I will have to wait and see. The Liberals have a rob peter to pay Paul philosophy all wrapped up in the notion that they balanced the budget with a surplus. I don't see the NDP being any better. I do agree that the Liberals need a time out and that they will probably reinvent themselves as they have so many times before. If your prediction is right Christy will be gone and Johnny will be on very thin ice.
Once my wife chooses to retire maybe we will leave this gong show behind and go live somewhere warm.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Muzza wrote:If the NDP win and my girlfriend convinces me to marry her, we may be leaving the country, along with our two businesses which generate a great deal of income tax. It depends on when the People take control. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but I'm not optimistic.

So you believe that a new NDP government would significantly increase taxes for small BC companies? Not being a smartass here, Muzza -- I'm probably not going to vote Lib or Dipper. I'm genuinely interested in the savings you might realize by moving your businesses to another province or country (presumably the USA)?
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

So you believe that a new NDP government would significantly increase taxes for small BC companies? Not being a smartass here, Muzza

More concerned about personal tax rates, jobs leaving the province like last time, etc. A few friends who had businesses at the time constantly complained to me about how discretionary income dropped for many of their customers.

As I have stated before here, I mentioned creating a business here, and that I would pay my employees well. I was chastised by the minority of left wing nutjobs, that "How dare I become an employer". I was told I am an "evil corporatist" for wanting to create jobs. I also worked for Harry Lali's first run in politics as he has been a friend for many, many years (I double checked -it has been 35 years... Wow!!). When I saw how many of the die hard leftist on the campaign spoke and acted in private, I was shocked. It convinced me to never vote NDP. Just like last time, these people will control the party once they are in power.

Combined with the joke that the federal liberals have become, I am less and less inclined to stay here. I can go to another country and hire people to work for me at a fraction of the cost (and pay them very well) and still sell my products here at Canadian prices. It is reaching the point where entrepreneurs are being penalized for success.

I will probably be told that I am selfish and that I should be happy to pay high taxes, as I have become a success. I am happy to pay a reasonable amount of taxes, but I deserve to be rewarded for the thousands of hours I worked for 7 years on weekends and evenings to create my product for zero compensation. I should not be penalized.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Muzza wrote:
So you believe that a new NDP government would significantly increase taxes for small BC companies? Not being a smartass here, Muzza

More concerned about personal tax rates, jobs leaving the province like last time, etc. A few friends who had businesses at the time constantly complained to me about how discretionary income dropped for many of their customers.

As I have stated before here, I mentioned creating a business here, and that I would pay my employees well. I was chastised by the minority of left wing nutjobs, that "How dare I become an employer". I was told I am an "evil corporatist" for wanting to create jobs. I also worked for Harry Lali's first run in politics as he has been a friend for many, many years (I double checked -it has been 35 years... Wow!!). When I saw how many of the die hard leftist on the campaign spoke and acted in private, I was shocked. It convinced me to never vote NDP. Just like last time, these people will control the party once they are in power.

Combined with the joke that the federal liberals have become, I am less and less inclined to stay here. I can go to another country and hire people to work for me at a fraction of the cost (and pay them very well) and still sell my products here at Canadian prices. It is reaching the point where entrepreneurs are being penalized for success.

I will probably be told that I am selfish and that I should be happy to pay high taxes, as I have become a success. I am happy to pay a reasonable amount of taxes, but I deserve to be rewarded for the thousands of hours I worked for 7 years on weekends and evenings to create my product for zero compensation. I should not be penalized.

Oh come on now Muzza, you wouldn't be penalized, the NDP would just like to direct some of your hard earned money, toward their hard done by public servants, on your behalf. :biggrin:

Think of it not as being penalized, but as doing a public service. [icon_lol2.gif]
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I believe that my take home pay will be further reduced by increased taxes the NDP will impose to pay for all the spending promises Johnny boy has made too date.
Friends and family who run small businesses will see an increase in taxes and expenses which will make them less competitive and tighten their already thin margins.
I believe the resource sector I work in will be dealing with the double whammy of an anti-business provincial government and U.S tariff's. The NDP winning the election actually came up in a conference call I was part of last Friday. Talk of "belt tightening", "contingency planning", "hiring freezes", and "deferring plant improvement" were bandied about.
It is really not good.
These same discussions where had in 2013....luckily, people came to their senses then and voted Liberal.
I remain hopeful for a repeat of 2013.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

personaly i think it wont affect me if ndp win . i think in terms of community i think everyone will be .less stressed and in general more pleasant . i would like to see the bclibs become more like the fed libs and clarks crew come out of the closet and run under the bc con party . . more diversity the better :admin:
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

I will be cheering, yelling, and dancing around...
If..

But pls lay off the run away some where rhetoric or
We will have to hold you to it!
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Old Techie wrote:
Oh come on now Muzza, you wouldn't be penalized, the NDP would just like to direct some of your hard earned money, toward their hard done by public servants, on your behalf. :biggrin:

Think of it not as being penalized, but as doing a public service. [icon_lol2.gif]

As a union the NDP treated us very poorly. Having said that I think the paramedics union is the rented mule of all public service regardless of who is in power.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

OldIslander wrote:So you believe that a new NDP government would significantly increase taxes for small BC companies? Not being a smartass here, Muzza -- I'm probably not going to vote Lib or Dipper. I'm genuinely interested in the savings you might realize by moving your businesses to another province or country (presumably the USA)?

They've already promised to increase the income tax rate for small businesses by 50%.

Layer on their promise to jack carbon taxes sky high, and the only company with a bright outlook will be the guys who make these signs:

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Well if the Liberals win, nothing will change for me, same ol, same ol.. If the NDP win then we will have to see, perhaps business will pick up again and I can hire some more staff, that would be nice.. I'm at least willing to entertain that possibility and give them a chance.

You see despite what the Liberal lap dogs would have you believe it's not low Corporate taxes that help small business do well and create Jobs. That money usually goes straight into their pockets, or in some cases toward payments on their debts and expenses (or toys) although the Tax Payer funded Liberal advertising campaigns will tell you otherwise.

When businesses are doing well and there is demand for their products by their customers they "expand" and hire to cover their growth because they have to.. Usually if you are growing you NEED more staff so you hire them, if business is down you lay off staff it's that simple.

If business is down and the Liberals give you another tax cut most businesses don't say, "Yippee I can hire more staff now that I don't need".. That isn't the way it works although the Liberals would like you to believe that, you know like their ads tell you..

No, what you need to do is to put more money into the hands of the "customers" who will then buy more products and stimulate growth thus "requiring" the business, by their own desire to make more money, to hire more staff.

The Liberals have NO intention of EVER doing that because they don't really give a :cuss: about you or I they ONLY care about their donors and ONLY care about getting re-elected, and NOTHING else.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Let's see, NDP raises my taxes, and that causes me to be able to hire more people?

Huh?

Logic would dictate that the less money I have after taxes the less money I have to grow/expand/hire. But the NDP and its supporters want me to defy logic and submit to higher taxation, telling me how good it will be for business.

Somethin' isn't adding up.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

krocky wrote:No, what you need to do is to put more money into the hands of the "customers" who will then buy more products and stimulate growth thus "requiring" the business, by their own desire to make more money, to hire more staff.

Not sure what business you're in, but in the 90's people (aka your customers) had less disposable income, figures easily enough confirmed at statistics Canada.

I also know that where I've been working for 27 years, during the NDP reign we were a workforce of four, and in 2009 despite the crash, we were up to 12 plus we set a new record for sales. That was under the Liberal regime, so as I said I don't know what you were doing. :135:

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”