TV Leaders' Debate

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Re: TV Leaders' Debate

Post by Retrosnap »

Could only watch half of it. Too much bluster and reliance on taking points from all three.

Having said that, from what I saw, Weaver won. Neither liberal nor NDP zealots would be swayed, but I think that the truly undecided might swing to the greens this time out.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Big mistake.
You will get Clark, again.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I wasn't going to watch the debate live but I did. I have to agree with Keith Baldrey's analysis. He said that there were no knockout punches but that Andrew Weaver brought his A game. Horgan was frustrated with the attacks from Weaver and it caught him off guard. It was a big distraction and he wasn't able to lay the glove on Clark the way he had hoped. Baldrey said that Christy Clark was steady and did well.

Andrew Weaver was impressive at so many points during the debate. He asked Horgan how he was going to pay for something and got Horgan to admit that he had a plan, for a plan, for a plan. Weaver just threw up his hands as if to say,"There you go." He went after the premier as well and was effective.

Horgan became rattled, yet again, and kept interrupting. He was by far the worst of the three in that regard. The partisans who support him will love his performance tonight but those who are soft NDP supporters or those who are undecided may well break for the Greens. Clearly, Weaver outshone Horgan.

Christy Clark, as Baldrey said, held her own really well. She had answers that her partisans will like but also answers that many of the undecideds will like. For example, she defended our public education system, pointing out how well our students do in comparison to students in other countries.

Finally, I thought Jennifer Burke, the moderator, did very well. It was impossible to control John Horgan because he's just a passionate guy (to put it nicely). She acquitted herself well and help kept the debate moving along.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

-Weaver won hands down, he opened a big can of whoop *bleep* on both Horgan and Clark equally hard, and he has some interesting ideas.
-Horgan made some good points, unfortunately he shot himself in the foot by not keeping his composure.
-Clark kept her composure and never dropped her Botox smarmy grin, however she never directly answered any questions. Instead she just kept repeating talking points. It's Christy's not answering direct questions, especially ones pertaining to anything controversial she and her government have done, is what will hurt her on Election Day.
The Greens are going to have a strong showing on May 9.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I watched just a few minutes but from what I saw, Weaver was winning easily. Horgan gets rattled so easily and ends up looking like a blowhard. Christy Clark is a "politician" through and through. She just reiterates the successes they've had while sidestepping any negativity.

It scares me that every time Horgan is asked about how he'll pay for his promises, his answer is "our numbers are based on Liberal numbers from the last budget". However, even to be most uneducated it's easy to see that they aren't. If he wins, he's going to end up raising taxes to pay for his promises and blame it on the Liberals. Numbers simply aren't his strong suit.

I may not like everything in Weaver's platform, but I liked him the best. If he can keep this up he has a chance at shaking things up, even if he doesn't win. Agree with him or not, I think he's good for BC politics.
Last edited by Jonrox on Apr 26th, 2017, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Jonrox wrote:I watched just a few minutes but from what I saw, Weaver was winning easily. Horgan gets rattled so easily and ends up looking like a blowhard. Christy Clark is a "politician" through and through. She just reiterates the successes they've had while sidestepping any negativity.

It scares me that every time Horgan is asked about how he'll pay for his promises, his answer is "our numbers are based on Liberal numbers from the last budget". However, even to be most uneducated it's easy to see that they aren't. If he wins, he's going to end up raising taxes to pay for his promises and blame it on the Liberals. Numbers simply aren't his strong suit.

When asked about her donations she went on to answer with her tired old jobs creation mantra while avoiding answering the question? She is a complete embarrassment. I managed 1/2 hour. Thank god for HGTV.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

In what political debate does that not happen though? That's politics... play up your successes and dodge negativity. I don't see it as an embarrassment, I see it as being a politician. I don't like it, but that's what it is and shouldn't be a surprise.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Urbane wrote:Christy Clark, as Baldrey said, held her own really well. She had answers that her partisans will like but also answers that many of the undecideds will like.

Baldrey is full of crap, he's always been Christy's number one media cheerleader..Christy had a response, taking points, to every question, but she never directly answered any questions.
If the undecided vote is going anywhere this year, it's to the Greens.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

weaver is clarks lapdog . look the way he voted in victoria
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Hurtlander wrote:Baldrey is full of crap, he's always been Christy's number one media cheerleader..Christy had a response, taking points, to every question, but she never directly answered any questions.
    If the undecided vote is going anywhere this year, it's to the Greens.
Just to be clear, Baldrey said that Clark held her own. The comment following that was mine. Clark did well but I agree with you that Weaver was the star tonight. Clark was second and Horgan was a distant third. He gets rattled and doesn't do himself any favours.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

That is not what the polls said after the last debate.
And I doubt much will change.

Horgan presents, well, the issues that bug working people.

Weaver actually helped him out by saying he wasn't too far from the Liberals.

The Greens have just too far to go...maybe next time?

Get rid of Clark, vote middle of the road NDP.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Here's the Castanet poll on tonight's debate. The results so far are interesting:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#195534
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

That is not what the polls said after the last debate.
And I doubt much will change.

Horgan presents, well, the issues that bug working people.

Weaver actually helped him out by saying he wasn't too far from the Liberals.

The Greens have just too far to go...maybe next time?

Get rid of Clark, vote middle of the road NDP.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The Kelowna area is so right wing that
even Donald Trump could win here..
Hmmmm......
Last edited by George+ on Apr 26th, 2017, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

George+ wrote:The Kelowna area is do right wing that
    even Donald Trump could win here..
    Hmmmm......
Isn't Kelowna represented by a Liberal in Ottawa?

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”