TV Leaders' Debate

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: TV Leaders' Debate

Post by alfred2 »

BeingHuman wrote:I watched the debate as well, and concluded that Christy Clark was not even in a debate, she ignored most all of the questions to deliver her set memorized commercial messages to the camera. It made the debate somewhat of a joke! John Horgan was right about her NOT being able to apologize to the children and families that were cheated out of 14 years of quality public education. Christy Clark couldn't apologize because it was not in her memorized script!

you must of been out to lunch during the debate, unlike potty mouth she answered her questions, horgan could not so he kept raving. Anyone voting for horgan must be realy brainwashed\ :135:
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

whatwhat wrote:Then so be it? I don't really feel like strategically voting.
Good for you. Strategic voting is a big mistake. If I agreed more with Dr. Weaver's policies I'd vote for his party but I agree more with the policies of the BC Liberal Party so that's the way I'll vote. I certainly can't be in favour of Site C and the Kinder Morgan expansion, two critically important projects, and vote for anyone but the Liberals.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
BeingHuman wrote:I watched the debate as well, and concluded that Christy Clark was not even in a debate,
Color me shocked.

Like I said, she may as well not even have been there and some people on here would still have you believe she won the debate, shows you their "true" colors. You know, like when she doesn't show up to the legislature but "pretends" she did and criticizes those who were there..

If Christy Clark loses the election and you still think she won, you might be a Liberal..
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

DO NOT make this personal.!
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Apr 27th, 2017, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

If you think that you can become premier of BC by screaming and yelling like a lunatic at debates, or telling people mid-way through a campaign that you want to kill thousands of jobs and billions of dollars of investment, you might be an NDP...

I have no idea what debate you were watching but there was no screaming and yelling like a blah blah blah...... from John Horgan. I was waiting for Christy Clark to say something....anything that would draw me to her. She said basically nothing.Answered NO questions. I hope people are not going to be sucked in by her because she smiles pretty.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Merry wrote:I watched the entire debate (apart from the odd exit to refill my glass. LOL) and frankly I don't think ANYONE won.

My feeling is that, for the most part, whichever Party you supported going into the debate, you probably still supported when the debate was finished.

The only people who might have been influenced were the undecided, and even for them the debate wasn't all that helpful.

For starters, all three candidates tended to "bob and weave" when asked direct questions - even Weaver (which surprised me the most). I think they were all so busy trying not to upset any potential existing voters, that they forgot they were supposed to be recruiting new voters.

Christy did have a very false smile plastered on her face for most of the debate, and it was true that she usually responded with "soundbites" and "talking points" more than provide actual answers. I didn't learn a single thing from any of her answers that I didn't already know.

Weaver seemed to get flustered at points, and almost lose his thread. And he definitely went after Horgan more than Christy. I suspect he figures he has a better chance of stealing NDP votes than Liberal ones so, for him, that was probably the best strategy. But it tended to give Christy a bit of a "free ride" at times. Prior to the debate I had a higher opinion of Weaver and the Greens than I did after; I don't think he conducted himself as well as some on these forums are giving him credit for. He did not come across as a good public speaker, and I didn't like all the extra taxes he wants to dump on home buyers. I didn't understand why he figured doing that would help with housing affordability, because it seems like the opposite to me.

Horgan didn't come across all that well either, although when he smiled it did seem to be a lot more genuine than Christy's. But he got flustered sometimes and had a hard time getting his point across. However I didn't see the anger that some posters claim he exhibited. For the most part I thought he came across as genuine, and earnest. I think he truly believes in his cause, and wants to do the right thing for BC. So if I were going to say anyone won last night I'd have to say it was him, but only barely. Because none of them came across all that well.

By the way, saying that Horgan did the best (but only slightly) does not mean I endorse all of his policies. I'm still in favour of Site C and the Kinder Morgan pipeline, and I think the renters credit is a total waste of money which (as the other two pointed out) won't provide much relief to renters anyway. But, as I really am sick and tired of the Liberals sleazy ways, and don't like what the Greens have to offer, I'm still very much in the undecided camp. And that debate didn't help me at all.

Insightful as always Merry.. I sooo agree with you except I did change my vote. I had planned on voting Green for lack of a better choice but after last night I am going NDP.. If anyone lost their cool it was Weaver and I didn't like his "being a little baby" attitude when he kept saying to "Horgan" are you going to yell at me now.. And of course you nailed it with respect to Christy.. I don't agree with everything the NDP are saying especially the renters credit as it won't do anything but for the most part I liked what I heard.

As for Weaver and the principal residence tax you are right, they think it will curb speculation but in fact people will just add it to the price like they do realtor fees and the transfer tax and just make them even more unaffordable..
Last edited by krocky on Apr 27th, 2017, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Hassel99 wrote: People will see what they want to see regardless of the truth.

Boy you nailed the whole Liberal philosophy there, that's for sure..!!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

If Horgan loses the election and you blame everyone but yourself, you ARE an NDP.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Excellent posts by Merry and krocky. I heartily agree with everything they said.........except of course, the Site C dam and Kinder Morgan (Sorry, guys, but I just can't).

It's pathetic how Keith Baldrey always bows and scrapes to Christy. He's supposed to be an unbiased journalist, for gawdsake! Whenever he shows up on Global I hit the mute button. Most of the MSM in B.C. used to be weighted heavily to the right, but they seem to be coming around to the centre again, which is a good thing. Voters should not be influenced by biased reporting.

Anyway, I found last night's debate to be a huge disappointment.The moderator sucked, and so did the 'three stooges'. I came away from it with even less respect for them than I had going in. Talking points was all I heard from Clark and Horgan, and Weaver just proved that he's 'not quite ready for prime time'. His words come tumbling out of his mouth incoherently, and he would have been wise to heed that old saying, "you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar'.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Lore wrote:I have no idea what debate you were watching but there was no screaming and yelling like a blah blah blah...... from John Horgan. .

Then I don't know what debate that you were watching.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

George+ wrote that there's no Conservative party to crash and burn this time. Wrong, George........there's the BC faux-Liberals.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

krocky wrote:. So NDP it is..!!!

I know you say that you are a Conservative. No true conservative would ever go to their grave, knowing that they had voted for the pure evil that is the NDP. No one.

Gee, I lot of Conservatives voted for the NDP in Alberta, and what did that get them? Yup, 20,000 jobs created just last month... amazing. Oh, by the way, it is now a province where corporate and union donations to political parties are no longer allowed.

Voting NDP will get you those kind of results! :biggrin:
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Then I don't know what debate that you were watching.

The one where Christy was asked about (see below)

Clark was also put on the spot when she was asked about a stipend she once collected from the Liberal party on top of her salary as premier and about the political donations that have led to a police investigation of B.C.'s political parties.
Taken from https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#195576

I may have had some respect for her had she even tried to answer the question.
Of course she did not answer, just changed the subject. You know, jobs, jobs and more jobs.
I have no trust in this woman what so ever.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

BeingHuman wrote:
Gee, I lot of Conservatives voted for the NDP in Alberta, :

No, actually a lot of them voted Conservative, and Wild Rose, and split the vote. And that's why the two parties are merging, to ensure this travesty never occurs again.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

BeingHuman wrote:Voting NDP will get you those kind of results! :biggrin:

Unemployment, high taxes, and crippling debt? Yes, voting NDP will get you those.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”