TV Leaders' Debate

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: TV Leaders' Debate

Post by fluffy »

krocky wrote:Please Fluffy, you've been around long enough to know that our locally "elected" candidates can't do ANYTHING for our riding

I don't know about that. Don't ridings represented by party 'x' do a little better as far as provincial money flowing their way when party 'x' is in power? We've got a pretty substantial expansion going on at our hospital here right now, I wonder if that would have happened with a non-Liberal MLA holding the seat?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

fluffy wrote:
krocky wrote:Please Fluffy, you've been around long enough to know that our locally "elected" candidates can't do ANYTHING for our riding

I don't know about that. Don't ridings represented by party 'x' do a little better as far as provincial money flowing their way when party 'x' is in power? We've got a pretty substantial expansion going on at our hospital here right now, I wonder if that would have happened with a non-Liberal MLA holding the seat?

Precisely fluffy, and a point I've been trying to get across for quite some time. The last time the NDP were in power we got nothing as punishment for voting Liberal, whereas this time we have all kinds of improvements up and down the valley. All three hospitals having benefited in a major fashion as but one example.

Rather than acknowledge any of that though, the NDP faithful discount that and point at lack of beds. They don't grasp that funding has to come from somewhere and Rome wasn't built in a day.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

BeingHuman wrote:Christy Clark came across as clueless, but then again, you would have to be clueless to run a LOSER Government!

Still beats running a loser opposition like the NDP.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

George+ wrote:I will take MSP fees gone.
I will take utility controls.
I will take ICBC controls.
I will take no tolls.
I will take $10 day care.
I will take improved basic wage.

I will vote NDP...a real opportunity for change.

Lots of people on this board have chimed in over the costs of such a platform.

If people vote for this knowing that they are going to pay more, then fine...at least I can respect that. If they think that only the rich and the corporations will be affected they are naive. These things all sound great, but they come at a cost, and that cost is going to be borne by a lot more people than you think....either you and I through our taxes, or our grandchildren in the form of increased debt. The Libs have doubled the debt in the 16 years in power. Does anyone really think that the NDP won't do likewise with the cost of this platform? They did when they were in power during the 90's....why not this time?

I wonder if people remember when Gordon Campbell was elected, he cut taxes 25% across the board. Are your ready for that change to be rolled back? If you are not, do you honestly think that raising the taxes on the 2% will be enough to cover?

Think people...think with your heads. A change can be a good as a rest, but think about the consequences. Think with your head, rather than your overwhelming hatred of CC.

Awww...who am I kidding?
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

George+ wrote:I will take MSP fees gone.
I will take utility controls.
I will take ICBC controls.
I will take no tolls.
I will take $10 day care.
I will take improved basic wage.

Exactly. You will "take" it, while our grand-kids will have to find a way to pay for it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Old Techie wrote; "Precisely fluffy, and a point I've been trying to get across for quite some time. The last time the NDP were in power we got nothing as punishment for voting Liberal, whereas this time we have all kinds of improvements up and down the valley. All three hospitals having benefited in a major fashion as but one example."

"Rather than acknowledge any of that though, the NDP faithful discount that and point at lack of beds. They don't grasp that funding has to come from somewhere and Rome wasn't built in a day."

Ever hear of "blacktop politics" Old Techie? Your dearly beloved BC Liberals engage in it all the time!!!

http://vancouversun.com/news/politics/l ... on-funding

See, us NDP faithful don't have to bring up a lack of beds, etc. We just have to point out the constant overwhelming hypocrisy that is the BC Liberals and their supporters!
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

anyone in bc that works in healthcare knows the bclibs have let it decay .clarks plan is spend money with zero thought to how best start improvments . 30 000 ppl in kamloops for example unable to get a doctor is shamefull and unexscusable .
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

BeingHuman wrote: We just have to point out the constant overwhelming hypocrisy that is the BC Liberals and their supporters!

Wouldn't it be better for you NDP faithful to try and convince the electorate what you would do better and how, rather than just complain about the Liberals all of the time? I say this knowing it will never happen, you will never listen, and you will continue to just lose elections. But keep staying faithful to losing, as we know it's the only thing you guys do well.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

BeingHuman wrote:See, us NDP faithful don't have to bring up a lack of beds, etc. We just have to point out the constant overwhelming hypocrisy that is the BC Liberals and their supporters!

You'd like that would you? You'd like it if no one asked where the money is going to come from to cover the cost of the NDP platform until it's too late.

Do yourself a favour. Go google "Boomer Shift" and read up on what the coming few decades have in store in the way of medical costs and then ask yourself if this is the right time to be promising an empty promise of cheaper medical.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

fluffy wrote:
BeingHuman wrote:See, us NDP faithful don't have to bring up a lack of beds, etc. We just have to point out the constant overwhelming hypocrisy that is the BC Liberals and their supporters!

You'd like that would you? You'd like it if no one asked where the money is going to come from to cover the cost of the NDP platform until it's too late.

Do yourself a favour. Go google "Boomer Shift" and read up on what the coming few decades have in store in the way of medical costs and then ask yourself if this is the right time to be promising an empty promise of cheaper medical.

The old switcheroo between Old Techie and you fluffy, and not a very good one, I'm afraid. Old Techie was going on about when the NDP was in government, little funding when to this area because there was a Liberal MLA here. I simply pointed out "blacktop politics" practiced by the BC Liberals where a majority of road improvement projects go to Liberal ridings over NDP ridings. I then stated how hypocritical the BC Liberals are, and their supporters.

You cannot chastise an NDP government for the same thing the current BC Liberal government has been doing, most all of us agree that would be hypocritical. So fluffy, what does your comment have to do with NDP or BC Liberal favoritism?
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

BeingHuman wrote: I simply pointed out "blacktop politics" practiced by the BC Liberals where a majority of road improvement projects go to Liberal ridings over NDP ridings. I then stated how hypocritical the BC Liberals are, and their supporters.

Exactly BH.. It's commonly referred to as vote buying.. If you elect a Liberal MLA to help get their party into power they "reward" you with a few projects so you will vote them in again. My point was it has little or nothing to do with the MLA themselves as they actually have 0 say, 0 power and are basically just a butt in a seat.

Look at Westside road.. That is nothing more that Christy saying, hey thanks guys, here's a little tidbit for you, now can we do this again and I'll make good on another ONE of the many, many things I promised you last election when I lost my own seat, had to boot out the elected MLA and take his seat in your riding.

Of course the BCLLD (BC Liberal Lap Dogs) will disagree. But one must ask why after over 12 years of begging the government to fix Westside Road, voted one of the worst and most dangerous roads in BC they did absolutely nothing until the by-election for Ms Christy when she made it a "vote for me and I'll fix it issue..??"
Last edited by krocky on Apr 28th, 2017, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ A Government does things that people like and then people vote for that government. How about that! Good on the Liberals for inventing this procedure! It's a win-win, eh?
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Candidates from two Central Okanagan ridings took turns criticizing the B.C. Liberal record of childcare and poverty at an all-candidates forum in Rutland Thursday evening. None of the Liberal candidates were there to defend their party.

The forum was hosted by Community Action Toward Children's Health, a local organization that works to improve early childhood development in the Central Okanagan.

The forum included an introductory period, followed by a chance for candidates to answer questions relating to youth and family poverty, children in foster care and affordability, among other topics.

Christy Clark, Liberal candidate for Kelowna-West, was absent from the forum, and organizers said she didn't respond to their invitation. All other candidates in the Kelowna-West riding were in attendance.

Oh look, here she is doing something she never does, a photo-op in a hardhat and safety vest, no wonder she couldn't attend the forum..!! Her arrogance never ceases to amaze me...

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC-Electi ... n-coal-ban
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Urbane wrote:^^ A Government does things that people like and then people vote for that government. How about that! Good on the Liberals for inventing this procedure! It's a win-win, eh?

Oh, you must mean a government trying to "buy" an election. There was a truly unprecedented number, and frequency, of BC Liberal spending announcements and Liberal MLA photo ops, the extent of which, has never before been witnessed in the history of BC Politics! How bad was it?

“In one seven-hour period on a Friday alone, the BC Liberal government churned out 29 releases containing $2.3-billion-worth of spending announcements… that’s over $5 million a minute!” Yes folks, when it comes to "buying" an election with our own tax dollars, this Christy Clark Government puts all other previous governments to shame!

http://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics ... to-the-max
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Urbane wrote:^^ A Government does things that people like and then people vote for that government. How about that! Good on the Liberals for inventing this procedure! It's a win-win, eh?

The flaw in your theory is it's the other way around. They don't do ANY of it before, if they did I might agree with you, no, they do it AFTER, and ONLY if they win, the seat, the election or otherwise, that's what makes it "vote buying" . Not one thing was done on Westside road until "after" Christy won her seat.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”