Are you voting not *for* a party, but AGAINST a party?

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Are you voting not *for* a party, but AGAINST a party?

Post by krocky »

Old Techie wrote: I've never seen a time that I've noted as much improvement to roads, hospitals, and education, as I have with the Liberals in power.

I don't know what fantasy Province you live in.. Where can I get me a pair of those rose colored glasses..??
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
krocky wrote:What I meant was the BC Liberals have spent a record amount of money over the last 16 years and have accomplished nothing of value to anyone

come on man, you know this is complete nonsense. Only the most die-hard blind sheep could make this statement, and even they would be shaking their heads while typing it.

Well I guess her Tax Payer funded "false" advertising does work because some people are obviously buying it...!!!

Can't believe you support the Canadian version of the "Democrats" and Christy "Hillary" Clark. You must really "HATE" the NDP.. How about the Greens, ther're part of your handle so they can't be all that bad.. LOL
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

f/22 wrote:I vote whatever Vote Compass tells me to vote.
http://votecompass.com/

Thanks for that link -- very interesting. Even though the final analysis of my answers suggested that I vote Lib (they are supposedly closest to my wants and beliefs...), I'll still probably vote green in protest. I despise our current premier and would throw my vote away before I used it to benefit her in any way.

And of the candidates in my riding, I just happen to respect the Green candidate the most. Although I understand that even if he wins, there isn't much he'll be able to do except warm a backbench for the next four years.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i think you said it best really . if the green person apeals to you then i can get that and respect it :130:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

krocky wrote:
You must really "HATE" the NDP..

I just think the NDP are awful at governing, and shouldn't just be handed the government due to protest voting. They have done nothing to show they deserve our votes, and also done nothing to show they've changed at all from the disaster they were in the 1990's that was turfed 77-2. I hear all of them moaning from Albertans about their NDP government (cue the NDP apologists who claim Notley is doing a great job...yeah sure) and how they wish they hadn't voted in protest, but actually done some research. We don't get a "do over" here. If the NDP win a majority, we are stuck with four long years of horrible fiscal mismanagement and a party of NO!! BC is the envy of Canada right now, and we want to mess that up? Because we don't like Christy Clark? Why would you ever let emotion guide your vote? To me that just seems beyond ridiculous. Getting rid of Christy Clark and voting in the NDP to me is like blowing your head off with a shot-gun because you have a sore tooth. It makes no sense.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

krocky wrote:
Old Techie wrote: I've never seen a time that I've noted as much improvement to roads, hospitals, and education, as I have with the Liberals in power.

I don't know what fantasy Province you live in.. Where can I get me a pair of those rose colored glasses..??

Glasses not required, but one would need to have their eyes open.

I find the level of denial present in some just astonishing, and that has zero to do with any political affiliation.

I couldn't care less if Mr. Peanut was Premier as long as our economy flourishes.

I also tend to believe in giving credit where it is due, and though the NDP always talked a good tune, no one but their union base ever benefited, and they sure as heck didn't build anything, not when they could avoid the commitment by implementing studies.

By contrast every time I'm out and about, I see multiple examples of highway improvements, safety improvements, hospital expansions, and renovations, in all three of our hospitals, with more in progress. Wait times for certain things have been dramatically reduced.

UBCO has been thriving and expanding at a robust pace, much of that thanks to our economic climate, and government investment in education, particularly the tech sector.

With its success, it has spurred investment by the private sector, as evidenced by the continued expansion of living facilities both on and off campus.

The filming industry has grown substantially in the last decade, is but another observation.

The thing that most of these have in common is they depend upon a successful, and inviting, economy.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Most -- not all, but most -- of my voting over the years has been to remove a bad government or MP or MLA or Premier or PM. I don't have a source to back it up, but I'll bet this is true of many voters.

My first provincial vote was in '72 in Coquitlam -- at that time, judging from TV and radio interviews, Premier WAC Bennett (who'd been a great Premier for most of his term...), was exhibiting signs of dementia. Apparently a good many BC'ers felt the same way and Dave Barrett won his landslide. (The following election, I voted for Bill Bennett, to get rid of Barrett, although history has been kind to him.)

In this election, I will use my vote in whatever way is most likely to hurt/penalize/oust/'end the reign of' our current Premier. It would be worth four years of NDP, to have them go over the books, find and expose all of Christy's crimes, and have a go at doing a bit better. If Horgan's crew fails, then I'll vote Liberal again in 2021.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

The Green Barbarian wrote: I just think the NDP are awful at governing, and shouldn't just be handed the government due to protest voting.

Fair enough, so how about the Greens.. They have a pretty good platform.. How about a "minority" with balance to the Greens. At least they would stop the "children" from getting their own way.. Maybe even stop the pandering to the Corporate elite "and" the Unions..?? Sounds pretty good to me, anything is worth a try, just not four more years of Chrillary..
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

OldIslander wrote: It would be worth four years of NDP, to have them go over the books, .

This made me laugh. Why not ask the NDP to develop a mission to Mars or perfect brain transplant surgery. They are just as equally qualified at those duties as "going over books". The NDP are useless.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Adam T

Post by Adam T »

I often vote for the person I think is the best local candidate.

My riding (Richmond-Queensborough) is safe Liberal. Unlike the people who complain about how terrible everybody in politics is (many of those complainers probably can't even name their local M.L.A), I could go anyway because I like all three candidates.

The Liberal is Jas Johal, the former Global News reporter (before that he did lengthy news reports on the Bill Good Show on CKNW.) I find him to be a very intelligent, reasonable person. If I was certain the Liberals were going to lose this election meaning the end of Christy Clark, I might vote for him because I could see him, as a 'new face' in politics but already well known to many British Columbians and with obvious communication skills as a serious contender for the Liberal leadership. Of course I have just one vote, but the bigger victory he wins locally as the Liberals go down to defeat provincially, the stronger that would place him.

The Green is John Wolf, a well known local environmentalist who has narrowly missed getting elected to our city council a number of times. He is a high school biology teacher and played a role in saving the Garden City lands from property development. (The lands are rated as the best quality for agriculture purposes.)

The New Democrat is Aman Singh, a smart civil rights lawyer who is disarmingly frank about his background and his former alcoholism.

Also, should the Liberals lose this election, of the new Liberal candidates I could also see Coast Capital CEO and Surrey-White Rock candidate Tracey Readies as well as Kamloops mayor and Kamloops-North Thompson candidate Peter Milobar run for the leadership.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Adam T wrote:I often vote for the person I think is the best local candidate.
The Liberal is Jas Johal, the former Global News reporter (before that he did lengthy news reports on the Bill Good Show on CKNW.) I find him to be a very intelligent, reasonable person.

I agree with most of what you say. But I find the addition of Johal's name as almost a tragedy and symbolic of much that's wrong with our system. He was like an old time 'Jack Webster' type reporter, who got his teeth into a story and shook it until he had all the info he needed. He'd go after any upper echelon characters who deserved his attention -- politicians, business mandarins, whatever -- and hold their feet tightly to the fire.

But the media is changing, and the profession failed to give him what he needed -- who knows what that was. Money? Respect? Support from his peers and management? He quit that job and went over to the dark side -- since leaving Global, he's been a lobbyist for the BC LNG Alliance, which of course suggests some kind of collusion with the Libs. Much like Pamala Martin...
And now -- surprise, surprise -- he's running for them. If elected, you might wonder if he'll be a 'bought and paid for' shill for the LNG industry. Any respect I had for him is gone -- and I loved the guy when he was Global's top bulldog.
Adam T

Post by Adam T »

OldIslander wrote:
Adam T wrote:I often vote for the person I think is the best local candidate.
The Liberal is Jas Johal, the former Global News reporter (before that he did lengthy news reports on the Bill Good Show on CKNW.) I find him to be a very intelligent, reasonable person.

I agree with most of what you say. But I find the addition of Johal's name as almost a tragedy and symbolic of much that's wrong with our system. He was like an old time 'Jack Webster' type reporter, who got his teeth into a story and shook it until he had all the info he needed. He'd go after any upper echelon characters who deserved his attention -- politicians, business mandarins, whatever -- and hold their feet tightly to the fire.

But the media is changing, and the profession failed to give him what he needed -- who knows what that was. Money? Respect? Support from his peers and management? He quit that job and went over to the dark side -- since leaving Global, he's been a lobbyist for the BC LNG Alliance, which of course suggests some kind of collusion with the Libs. Much like Pamala Martin...
And now -- surprise, surprise -- he's running for them. If elected, you might wonder if he'll be a 'bought and paid for' shill for the LNG industry. Any respect I had for him is gone -- and I loved the guy when he was Global's top bulldog.

Yes, he was the head of the BC LNG Alliance. I did not leave that out intentionally, as I just didn't see the significance of it in what I wrote. I personally have no problem with natural gas, especially with carbon pricing. The only fuel source I think that needs to be quickly phased out is coal. (Coal is also used in steel production, so coal mining is still necessary. Had it not been for people finding a way to replace wood in steel production (charcoal) with coal, the industrial revolution would have been delayed.)
supert160

Post by supert160 »

I am a conservative and have always voted that way. As such a cannot vote ndp.
dan astons handling of the school closure crisis in the south ok has cost the liberals my vote . Ashton threw the school boards under the bus, faced with declining enrollment, the boards were forced to make hugely unpopular decisions. Ashton publicly claimed that he wished the boards could do something squarely placing the blame and public ire on the boards. Then a few weeks later he pops in with th cash (our cash btw) and takes all the credit. Dan Ashton is the worst kind of self serving politician. If you are in the same room keep your back to the wall.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

If there is a Green voter wave there could easily be
a larger Liberal majority government.
Please think about the before voting.
Advance polls begin today.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

supert160 wrote:I am a conservative and have always voted that way. As such a cannot vote ndp.
dan astons handling of the school closure crisis in the south ok has cost the liberals my vote . Ashton threw the school boards under the bus, faced with declining enrollment, the boards were forced to make hugely unpopular decisions. Ashton publicly claimed that he wished the boards could do something squarely placing the blame and public ire on the boards. Then a few weeks later he pops in with th cash (our cash btw) and takes all the credit. Dan Ashton is the worst kind of self serving politician. If you are in the same room keep your back to the wall.

Good post.. Dan is taking Christy's lead and learning the Liberal way, very well I might add.. she is the Queen of self serving politicians. I too have "always" voted Conservative, even in the last election here in BC but all that did was help the Liberals. This year I was leaning toward the Greens knowing that too would probably just help the Liberals but after the debate I decided to go the way many Alberta Conservatives did and wil be voting NDP.. Sounds like you are going Green or maybe not voting but either way, Cheers..!!!

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”