TV Leaders' Debate

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Jonrox

Re: TV Leaders' Debate

Post by Jonrox »

Deficits are not inherently a bad thing. With debt as cheap as it is (and looks like it will continue to be), deficits can be a very useful tool for spurring economic growth and providing citizens with the programs they want at a very low cost.

People just latch onto the term without knowing what it means. On the other hand, surpluses are not necessarily a good thing. Politicians latch onto those terms because we're dumb and don't understand economics.

I'm not saying big deficits are necessarily a good thing, but if the return on the borrowing is greater than the interest cost will be, then the deficit makes sense. With borrowing costs as low as they are, the bar is quite low. It all depends what the spending is on, whether or not the deficit is a good or bad thing.

A surplus is quite easy to attain by just slashing spending, but then everyone would start whining about crumbling infrastructure and a lack of basic services. But hey, it would be a surplus.
Last edited by Jonrox on Apr 29th, 2017, 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Hassel99 wrote:Here is the most simple math i can provide
Say a business can afford to pay $60 an hour to its employees
It has 5 people making $12 an hour.
If min wage goes to $15. the same $60 only pays for 4. One gets get eliminated.
Sucks to be the guy or gal who just got let go, but i guess it depends on if you care about them anymore now that you get $3 more an hour.

Sure that's one possibility, I think a more probable option is that the business, if they care about their employees , would hike prices somewhat and look for ways to cut some frivolous expenses, become more efficient perhaps. It's easy for people with good paying jobs or sitting at home in a lazy boy with a big fat government pension to criticize and surmise what it would be like to survive on $11:00 an hour while paying back 35,000 in student loans and paying 1500/month for rent but to each their own.

We are all used of the Liberal way of thinking by now that the most important thing is for the business owner to have the big house, and the boat and all the toys while their employees work 3 jobs to survive, so if they do win next week we won't be expecting anything different..
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Jonrox wrote:Deficits are not inherently a bad thing. With debt as cheap as it is (and looks like it will continue to be), deficits can be a very useful tool for spurring economic growth and providing citizens with the programs they want at a very low cost.

People just latch onto the term without knowing what it means. On the per hand, surpluses are not necessarily a good thing. Politicians latch onto those terms because we're dumb and don't understand economics.

I'm not saying big deficits are necessarily a good thing, but if the return on the borrowing is greater than the interest cost will be, then the deficit makes sense. With borrowing costs as low as they are, the bar is quite low. It all depends what the spending is on, whether or not the deficit is a good thing.

Hold on, you can't just post something that makes perfect sense on here... what the hell...???
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Old Techie wrote:
Hassel99 wrote:Here is the most simple math i can provide
Say a business can afford to pay $60 an hour to its employees
It has 5 people making $12 an hour.
If min wage goes to $15. the same $60 only pays for 4. One gets get eliminated.
Sucks to be the guy or gal who just got let go, but i guess it depends on if you care about them anymore now that you get $3 more an hour.

That math goes right over an NDP's head.
Just want to point out that yes that $60 then only pays 4 employees, but you can also bet they still have to do the work of the eliminated fifth one.

Oh, you mean like common sense goes over a Liberals head and intelligence goes over... well you know..!!!!

If you think common sense is a form of currency, you might be a Liberal..
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

lasnomadas wrote:That's a really cute artist's concept of the Penticton Hospital, GB. I usually don't bother with comments from people who are so far removed from reality, but you need some facts, not just election campaign bafflegab.

I am not sure if it is possible for you to be more misinformed.
Pretty typical representation of an NDP supporter.

So adamant about one thing, and wont say a peep when its proven to be the 100% opposite.

This is why the BCLiberals will win the election again.

Time for some sell awareness and self reflection bucko.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

krocky wrote:Sure that's one possibility, I think a more probable option is that the business, if they care about their employees , would hike prices somewhat and look for ways to cut some frivolous expenses, become more efficient perhaps. It's easy for people with good paying jobs or sitting at home in a lazy boy with a big fat government pension to criticize and surmise what it would be like to survive on $11:00 an hour while paying back 35,000 in student loans and paying 1500/month for rent but to each their own.

Completely out of touch with reality.

You think business have "frivolous" expenses that they just pay currently on a whim?
Hike Prices?

Good Grief.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Hassel99 wrote:
krocky wrote:Sure that's one possibility, I think a more probable option is that the business, if they care about their employees , would hike prices somewhat and look for ways to cut some frivolous expenses, become more efficient perhaps. It's easy for people with good paying jobs or sitting at home in a lazy boy with a big fat government pension to criticize and surmise what it would be like to survive on $11:00 an hour while paying back 35,000 in student loans and paying 1500/month for rent but to each their own.

Completely out of touch with reality.

You think business have "frivolous" expenses that they just pay currently on a whim?
Hike Prices?
Good Grief.

For a minute there I though you were trying to have a reasonable discussion, my mistake.. The only thing I am out of touch with Is Liberal mentality.. There are always ways to cut expenses but it's obvious you don't get it so I will quit banging my head against a wall..
:dash:
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

OFF TOPIC
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Apr 29th, 2017, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

OFF TOPIC
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Apr 29th, 2017, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't start bickering! :-X

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

krocky wrote:For a minute there I though you were trying to have a reasonable discussion, my mistake.. The only thing I am out of touch with Is Liberal mentality.. There are always ways to cut expenses but it's obvious you don't get it so I will quit banging my head against a wall..
:dash:

Oh good, we don't need to increase min wage or disability payments because "There are always ways to cut expenses" Those people can just use the same advice and tighten their belts or as many like to comment "stop buying the daily Starbucks coffee" right krocky???

Clearly, the working poor are not buying the Starbucks every day as a "frivolous" expense, but neither are small business, they watch every penny just like you and I. If they don't they are gone and you know it.

The logic works both ways, not just the way that helps you push your transparent short sighted agenda.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Increased min wage and daycare subsidy will
just ripple thu the economy.

Believe it!

Do not Vote Green...you will get Clark, again!
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

To business; we (the workers) are an expense, something to be minimized to increase profit. How do you minimized labour expenses, one would ask? Hire CHEAP labour via the Temporary Foreign Worker program... so why should anyone be surprised that this "slave labour" program is being abused and misused? It's all about corporate and business greed folks, and the BC Liberals are all about Corporate and business interests.
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BeingHuman wrote:To business; we (the workers) are an expense, something to be minimized to increase profit. How do you minimized labour expenses, one would ask? Hire CHEAP labour via the Temporary Foreign Worker program... so why should anyone be surprised that this "slave labour" program is being abused and misused? It's all about corporate and business greed folks, and the BC Liberals are all about Corporate and business interests.

You, (the complainers) are living in a free country, therefore no one is stopping you from opening a business, and paying as high a wage as you think fair.

Instead of complaining, why not step up and demonstrate how it should be done.

Note: Attempt at your own risk, and by all means, do not complain when you fail.

PS: By what stretch of the imagination, do you NDP feel that you can criticize, and make demands, without taking any of the risk whatsoever?

You begrudge the hard working sole proprietor who in many instances, struggled for years barely getting by, always making sure his employees got paid, before he could draw a wage, in many cases less than the workers, sometimes not at all, but the moment you see him successful, or purchasing a toy, you get bent all out of shape.

How many public sector workers have a garage full of toys, that don't bother you at all, not even when many who get the privilege of helping pay for that sector, can't even imagine ever owning a boat, let alone quads, jet skis, campers, and everything else cluttering the yards of the elite?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

The BC Liberals, instead of crowing about how they managed to balance the budget by stealing BC taxpayers' money out of the BC Hydro and ICBC piggy banks, they should try to explain why the province is about $70 billion in debt, not to mention the $102+ billion in contractual obligations. It would go a long way to giving Christy some credibility if she and her cohorts started paying off some of her debt with that almost $20 million in corporate donations.

Oh, and GB, let's see a photo of that non-existent Penticton Hospital tower. I didn't see it in that drawing you provided earlier.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”