Are you voting not *for* a party, but AGAINST a party?

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Are you voting not *for* a party, but AGAINST a party?

Post by maryjane48 »

krocky for premier i say but un no trump in 4 years haha
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

supert160 wrote:I am a conservative and have always voted that way. As such a cannot vote ndp.
dan astons handling of the school closure crisis in the south ok has cost the liberals my vote . Ashton threw the school boards under the bus, faced with declining enrollment, the boards were forced to make hugely unpopular decisions. Ashton publicly claimed that he wished the boards could do something squarely placing the blame and public ire on the boards. Then a few weeks later he pops in with th cash (our cash btw) and takes all the credit. Dan Ashton is the worst kind of self serving politician. If you are in the same room keep your back to the wall.

While I'm totally with you in my utter disgust for Dan Ashton, I'm not prepared to let that disgust get in the way of common sense.

It makes no sense to me to vote for a party who's platform and policies go against pretty much everything I believe in, just to "stick it" to Ashton because he has consistently "stuck it" to others, first as a municipal politician and now as a provincial politician who's quite happy to (as you put it) throw those who are doing the heavy lifting under the bus.

I have absolutely no faith in Ashton's ability to behave with so much as a modicum of integrity, but I couldn't feel I myself was acting with integrity if I go vote for something I do not believe in just because our local Liberal rep has proven himself to be an opportunistic sleaze.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

maryjane48 wrote:krocky for premier i say but un no trump in 4 years haha

Lol.. Careful MJ you'll give Old techie a heart attack..!! :smt045
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I voted 'for' a candidate yesterday, just a I always do. I know my chosen candidate will not win because here in the Okanagan, as 'rustled' has pointed out, the BC Liberals could run a turnip as their candidate and it would win.

I know there are many who will vote strategically in order to get rid of the Christy Liberals, and I hope they're successful, but here in the Okanagan it's very doubtful, for the aforementioned reason.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

I don't 'get' why Clark does so well in Kelowna -- after all, she 'parachuted' into that riding when she lost her's to John Eby in the last election. She and MLA Ben Stewart both lied at the time, when he essentially said he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart, and expected nothing in return. I'm sure it was an utter surprise to him when she gave him a plum job a year later in Beijing as BC's special Representative in Asia. Some reports suggest his wages, living expenses, etc, for the two years he was there were over $1M.

Don't you folks in Kelowna care about this? Wouldn't this make you think twice about voting for her?
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

lasnomadas wrote:I voted 'for' a candidate yesterday, just a I always do. I know my chosen candidate will not win because here in the Okanagan, as 'rustled' has pointed out, the BC Liberals could run a turnip as their candidate and it would win.

I know there are many who will vote strategically in order to get rid of the Christy Liberals, and I hope they're successful, but here in the Okanagan it's very doubtful, for the aforementioned reason.

LOL. Its unsurprising someone who refuses to acknowledge what's happening at the Penticton hospital can likewise see only what they wish to see when reading another's post.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Here's what's been happening at the Penticton Hospital:

Over 4 years ago, while on the campaign trail, Christy rode into Penticton to announce that the long-awaited construction of a new tower would be starting immediately after the 2013 election.

For 4 years, the residents of the South Okanagan, along with the RDOS have been donating funds toward this tower, but the provincial government has ignored it until just a few weeks prior to the 2017 election, when suddenly, two big cranes arrive on the scene and some foundation work begins.

Let's see how many Penticton residents are duped by the BC Liberal Party once again.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

OldIslander wrote:I don't 'get' why Clark does so well in Kelowna -- after all, she 'parachuted' into that riding when she lost her's to John Eby in the last election. She and MLA Ben Stewart both lied at the time, when he essentially said he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart, and expected nothing in return. I'm sure it was an utter surprise to him when she gave him a plum job a year later in Beijing as BC's special Representative in Asia. Some reports suggest his wages, living expenses, etc, for the two years he was there were over $1M.

Don't you folks in Kelowna care about this? Wouldn't this make you think twice about voting for her?

Dan Ashton does well in our riding because there's no integrity in voting for policies we don't believe in, just to stick it to someone I don't admire. It's the equivalent of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. I don't have to like the man or his morals to know the fiscal, economic and social policies of the party he represents are more in line with my own, while the NDP and Green parties represent more of what I do not want.

Some people believe they are taking the moral high road in voting for people they believe have more integrity, and that's their prerogative. It seems more important to me to do what I believe is best our children's and grandchildren's future. In my opinion, policies that are sure to force them to pay more taxes in support of bigger government are not in their best interest.

I found it disgusting that the Liberals bribed us with our own money over the school closure issue. Why would I vote for more shiny freebies from the other two parties, knowing full well who will have to pay for those freebies? Besides, I'd like to think there's still some room for families who believe parents are capable of raising their own toddlers, and that this is more important than generating more taxes for the government to manage on our behalf.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

lasnomadas wrote:Here's what's been happening at the Penticton Hospital:

Over 4 years ago, while on the campaign trail, Christy rode into Penticton to announce that the long-awaited construction of a new tower would be starting immediately after the 2013 election.

For 4 years, the residents of the South Okanagan, along with the RDOS have been donating funds toward this tower, but the provincial government has ignored it until just a few weeks prior to the 2017 election, when suddenly, two big cranes arrive on the scene and some foundation work begins.

Let's see how many Penticton residents are duped by the BC Liberal Party once again.

Unlike you, I am well aware of exactly how long the construction's been going on. Planning stages, too.

But hey, you go right on believing what you want to believe. As I said, your posts make it pretty clear you'll only see what you want to see. Not up to me to shatter your illusions.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

First of all, 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face' is exactly what your doing when you vote for a candidate who you know is not worth of your vote.

Secondly, if you're worried about how your children and grandchildren are going to be doing in the future, just look back to when you were a child. Your parents wanted a better life for you too, didn't they? But it didn't happen, did it? Your parents were probably the last generation to have actually had a better life than their parents, and do you know why? Because during your generation, there was a subtle but devastating shift in the way we are governed.

Most of our politicians are of the 'me' generation, people who care only for themselves, and to hell with everyone else. We have to stop these government train-wrecks and get back to some semblance of sanity. Electoral reform might be a good start.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Funny how the NDP supporters don't understand that if it weren't for the NDP party, the Greens and other better parties would emerge and we could have real choice.

It is precisely because of the NDP that folks have to vote against a party. It has been thus for a donkey's years because even when reduced to less than a rump (2 seats) the party of union bosses would not do the polite thing and go away.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

lasnomadas wrote:First of all, 'cutting off one's nose to spite one's face' is exactly what your doing when you vote for a candidate who you know is not worth of your vote.

Secondly, if you're worried about how your children and grandchildren are going to be doing in the future, just look back to when you were a child. Your parents wanted a better life for you too, didn't they? But it didn't happen, did it? Your parents were probably the last generation to have actually had a better life than their parents, and do you know why? Because during your generation, there was a subtle but devastating shift in the way we are governed.

Most of our politicians are of the 'me' generation, people who care only for themselves, and to hell with everyone else. We have to stop these government train-wrecks and get back to some semblance of sanity. Electoral reform might be a good start.

You're of course quite welcome to vote based on the relative morality of the candidates, if that's what you feel is best. How odd that you feel the need to lecture me about my choices. You don't even know me.

You believe voting strategically will return us to sanity, and I wish you luck with that. I'll stick to what I know. In my experience, there's no magic wand and no amount of electoral reform will change how we taxpayers prioritize our resources. We're all in this together, and we should each make the best choices we can for ourselves and others.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

hobbyguy wrote:Funny how the NDP supporters don't understand that if it weren't for the NDP party, the Greens and other better parties would emerge and we could have real choice.

It is precisely because of the NDP that folks have to vote against a party. It has been thus for a donkey's years because even when reduced to less than a rump (2 seats) the party of union bosses would not do the polite thing and go away.

They'll never go away, at least not until science develops an NDP immunization. They made one for polio so who knows, maybe one day......................................
:biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@rustled:
I did not say that voting strategically will return us to sanity. In fact, I believe the opposite. And of course I would never tell you or anyone else how to vote. I merely stated that I believe voting for an inept, or corrupt, candidate is something I would never do. I guess Linda Higgins and I have something in common.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

lasnomadas wrote:@rustled:
I did not say that voting strategically will return us to sanity. In fact, I believe the opposite. And of course I would never tell you or anyone else how to vote. I merely stated that I believe voting for an inept, or corrupt, candidate is something I would never do. I guess Linda Higgins and I have something in common.

Hm. Well, reviewing your post, I can see a great deal more than a mere statement of how you will vote (but then I also see a great deal more than a few weeks worth of construction at the Penticton hospital). It seems to me when you lecture someone about their voting habits, you're not "merely" sharing why you do what you do.

So, :topic: , if I understand you correctly, you have explained why you'll vote against what you don't believe in (corruption), although you seem also to believe voting against is not strategic voting? Or that doing so has little hope of "returning us to sanity"? But perhaps I have misinterpreted your meaning yet again. My apologies.

Meanwhile, I have explained why I will vote for what I do believe in (the party with policies that better align with what I believe to be best for my children's and grandchildren's future).

Happy voting.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”