BC Election issues

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Re: BC Election issues

Post by lasnomadas »

They are being dealt with as we type, Merry. It's just that much of it doesn't get reported in the MSM or on government or CAPP websites. BT (beforeTrump), the US was well on its way to becoming coal and bitumen-free. Now, of course, they (and consequently we) are going to have a temporary setback. However, I'm convinced it will be temporary, since Trump will be lucky to last one term. So we have to move forward, regardless of what the US does, and continue to phase out fossil fuels while at the same time investing in alternative renewable energy projects. That means electing a government that shares our vision.

Rachel Notley's government is trying to do what's right for Alberta and the BC government must do what's right for BC. The only reason B.C. is so far behind in renewable energy projects is the present government's dependency on the BC Hydro piggy bank., and the piggy bank is now empty. We have to put a stop to this and I know of only one way to do that.
Last edited by lasnomadas on May 1st, 2017, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:, and continue to phase out fossil fuels while at the same time investing in alternative renewable energy projects. .

Such as? Solar and wind are just plain stupid. No one with a brain who can do math would ever support either of these two failed energy sources. So are you saying that you now support Site C? Really?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Hydro is non renewable now.? Really . You are voting against hydro .
    Please shut off your gas valve next winter . U don't want a dangerous pipeline leading rite into your home do u
    Last edited by Jflem1983 on May 1st, 2017, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
    Merry
    Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Robert Lyman, Principal at ENTRANS Policy Research Group, Inc., stated the following in his May 2016 report titled "Why Renewable Energy Cannot Replace Fossil Fuels by 2050," published by Friends of Science:

"Oil provides 95% of the fuel demands of the transportation sector... Every transport mode – cars, trucks, trains, buses, marine vessels, and aircraft – relies almost entirely on petroleum fuels. Only natural gas liquids and, in recent years as the result of regulated fuel mandates, ethanol - have made small inroads in the dominant share held by oil. Further, on the basis of the projections by all major agencies that analyze energy supply and demand trends to 2035 and 2040, this will continue to be the case for the foreseeable future...

Proponents of the all-renewable future seem to be stuck in a time warp. For them, it is still 2014, oil prices are still close to $130 per barrel, and natural gas and coal prices are surging. In such a world, it may be easier to make the case that renewables will become far more competitive sooner. The reality, of course, is that the decline of international oil prices to the range of $40 per barrel and the dramatic slumps in natural gas and coal prices in many areas (especially North America), has meant that these hydrocarbons are far better placed to compete with alternative energy sources."

http://alternativeenergy.procon.org/vie ... nID=001244
    "In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
    Merry
    Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Clive Best, PhD, a former physicist, stated the following on his website in a May 4, 2016 post titled "The Logical Fallacy of Renewable Energy":

"Modern society depends on always available power. If power goes down then society stops. There are no phones, no internet, no ATMs, no refrigeration, no sewage pumps – nothing, and if a large city like London is without power for more than 12 hours rioting and looting would quickly take hold. It is therefore inconceivable not to ensure that we have reliable energy at all times. So an energy plan for the UK must be able to meet demand even on the coldest evening of the year in winter with no wind and no solar. For this reason Renewable energy can never under any realistic scenario meet that target. To imagine that battery prices could fall enough to make wind and solar backup such enormous power demands is simply a delusion."

http://alternativeenergy.procon.org/vie ... nID=001244
    "In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
    Gone_Fishin
    Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Heated Horgan heckle

Alanna Kelly - May 1, 2017 / 11:32 am | Story: 195885

Photo: CTV
    BC NDP Leader John Horgan was heckled at a campaign event in Vancouver over the weekend.

Horgan was giving a talk at Bobolink Park about his party’s plans for childcare in the province, and when a reporter asked how the NDP would fund its $10-day daycare plan, a man interrupted him.

“I am just a hard working guy who works hard for my money, and I make a good income and now I am going to get taxed and have it taken away,” said the man.

“Has your hydro bill gone up? Has your car insurance gone up? Do you pay medical services premiums?” said Horgan.

“I’m not happy with the present government I don't like Christy clark, OK?,” said the man. “I'm not happy with them, but they are better than this alternative that is going to really just put us way down in the hole again.”

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#195885
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
    Merry
    Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I thought Horgan reacted very well to that guy's heckling, when he offered to sit down and talk to the man, one on one. Not too many Party leaders on the campaign trail are willing to take the time to do that (Christy just walked away when it happened to her). So I think Horgan did very well handling this.
    Merry
    Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Back to the renewable versus non renewable energy issue:
    The following accurate statement is often repeated: “we now have the technology to convert to renewable forms of energy.” However, an equally-accurate statement is: “renewables are too expensive, when compared to hydrocarbons, to implement on a broad basis.” Hydrocarbons are non-renewable, but they are the most economic form of energy we have access to at this time.

Renewables are often considered sustainable sources of energy due to the fact that their energy comes from infinitely renewable wind, sun, waves or crops. Ironically, many of these renewables are only sustainable if continually subsidized by governments; governments that are often not in the financial position to fund economically-unviable projects.

http://www.altacorpcapital.com/upload/m ... l-2011.pdf

And therein lies the rub. Are we all prepared to pay much higher taxes and/or hydro bills in order to subsidize the conversion to renewable energy? The people of Ontario originally said yes, but are now saying a big loud NO in the face of out of control Hydro bills, that are four times larger than what we in BC are currently paying.

IF we do decide to go down that particular rabbit hole here in BC, we need to very carefully study what happened in Ontario first, to make sure we avoid at least some of the mistakes they made.
    Rwede
    Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Merry wrote:I thought Horgan reacted very well to that guy's heckling, when he offered to sit down and talk to the man, one on one.

Horgan just tried to get the guy away from the cameras and reporters.

Dude was speaking the truth, and Horgan sure as heck didn't want THAT reported!
    "I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
    lasnomadas
    Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Back to renewable energy vs. another hydroelectric dam in B.C., Merry. First of all, oil production has been subsidized for decades, so we can hardly expect that renewable energy won't be. And I find it strange that nobody seems to want to discuss a renewable source of energy that is capable of operating 24/7.......geothermal. Borealis Geopower out of Calgary has two projects on the go right now in B.C. and more in the planning stages.

Now, I don't profess to be an authority on any source of energy, but I do try to keep up with what's been written by experts in the various fields. I haven't researched what went sideways in Ontario, but I do know that British Columbians' hydro bills have increased considerably over the BC Liberal years, and they're going to skyrocket because of an ill-conceived Site C dam. The BC government has been siphoning off so much of the taxpayers' dollars from BC Hydro that our once great Crown Corporation is virtually bankrupt. And now, thanks to Christy Clark's LNG pipe-dream, our children, grand-children, and probably even our great-grandchildren will be paying off a debt that should never have been foisted upon them........or us.

This is just a layman's opinion, but I think I speak for many others when I say that this hydroelectric dam is not needed. If we effectively halt construction on it, spend a portion of what we would be spending on it on alternative sources of renewable energy instead, and use the existing dams on the Peace and the Columbia for grid storage, why would anyone with an environmental or economic bone in their body be opposed to that?
    rustled
    Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

^^More proof some folk will only see what they want to see. (In all fairness, Merry's sensible posts at 12:23 & 12:26 are significantly smaller than the tower construction at PRH.)

Thank goodness that although some of the posters here may indeed speak for many others, you're not in a position to make decisions for all of us. Willful blindness from forum posters is one thing, but it isn't something we can afford from those in positions of leadership.
    There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
    lasnomadas
    Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@ the usual suspects:
    Thanks for trying to change the subject of this conversation. You obviously have nothing to add to the discussion of renewable energy even though it is one of the most critical issues to consider in this election.
    Rwede
    Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Heated Horgan heckle

Alanna Kelly - May 1, 2017 / 11:32 am | Story: 195885

Photo: CTV
    BC NDP Leader John Horgan was heckled at a campaign event in Vancouver over the weekend.

Horgan was giving a talk at Bobolink Park about his party’s plans for childcare in the province, and when a reporter asked how the NDP would fund its $10-day daycare plan, a man interrupted him.

“I am just a hard working guy who works hard for my money, and I make a good income and now I am going to get taxed and have it taken away,” said the man.

“Has your hydro bill gone up? Has your car insurance gone up? Do you pay medical services premiums?” said Horgan.

“I’m not happy with the present government I don't like Christy clark, OK?,” said the man. “I'm not happy with them, but they are better than this alternative that is going to really just put us way down in the hole again.”

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#195885

John gets angry again.

This guy really has a mental instability. He's blowing up at anyone who doesn't agree with him.

#CalmdownJohn.
    "I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
    The Green Barbarian
    Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote:First of all, oil production has been subsidized for decades,

First of all, this is complete nonsense. When you start you entire argument off with a huge lie, there is no where else to go but straight down.
    "The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
    The Green Barbarian
    Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote:Thanks for trying to change the subject of this conversation. You obviously have nothing to add to the discussion of renewable energy even though it is one of the most critical issues to consider in this election.

I have lots to add. "Renewable energy" is an oxy-moron. The only thing "renewable" is the constant cash grab from taxpayers. This holds true no matter what latest stupid form of expensive energy is being pushed by people who can't do basic math.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”