B.C. has Canada’s worst economy for younger generation

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

B.C. has Canada’s worst economy for younger generation

Post by BeingHuman »

Mentioned this before, but I think it deserves its own topic headline.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3307975/gener ... c-economy/
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
lasnomadas
Übergod

Re: B.C. has Canada’s worst economy for younger generation

Post by lasnomadas »

You're right, it does deserve its own headline. However, it's been up for an hour and the usual suspects have not yet come to refute it with their 'stats'. I wonder why?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

you're regurgitating this barf-bag "study" yet again? Seriously? Desperation is a stinky cologne all right.

So I'll ask the question I've asked the other 400 times you've linked to this bogus nonsense. Who should we vote for, that is going to "fix" this totally imaginary problem? Who??
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
jayro
Fledgling

Post by jayro »

I know we heard it before............. Anyone But Clark :smt045
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Under the BC Liberals, BC's economy ranks the worst in Canada for our younger generation because the job quality is no longer there, part-time low paying jobs are increasing while full-time better wage jobs are disappearing!

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/10/bc- ... september/

temp pic hosting
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

BeingHuman wrote:Under the BC Liberals, BC's economy ranks the worst in Canada for our younger generation ]

does it though, really? Or is this just more statistical nonsense cooked up in NDP propaganda labs, the same labs that cooked up the nonsensical BS about what great fiscal managers the NDP were during their last reign of terror in the 1990's?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

I did a bit of research:

BC 15- 24 unemployment: 12.4 %
Alberta 15- 24 unemployment rate: 13%
Manitoba 15- 24 unemployment rate: 13.6%
Ontario 15- 24 unemployment rate: 19.6%

I stopped there as the statement that BC is terrible is obviously not true. All information was from Federal government and Manitoba government.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Muzza wrote:I did a bit of research:

BC 15- 24 unemployment: 12.4 %
Alberta 15- 24 unemployment rate: 13%
Manitoba 15- 24 unemployment rate: 13.6%
Ontario 15- 24 unemployment rate: 19.6%

I stopped there as the statement that BC is terrible is obviously not true. All information was from Federal government and Manitoba government.

ten four, another lie by ndp has been proven as such. :cuss: :smt045 :admin: :-X :-X [icon_lol2.gif] :biggrin:
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Young, unemployed and losing hope in BC's boom economy. A rising youth unemployment rate in BC is not what Millennials expected when the BC Jobs Plan was unveiled. The government says be patient: good times are still around the corner.

An older news article , dating back to 2014, which shows how chronic unemployment has been in BC for our younger people.

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/life/y ... om-economy
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BeingHuman wrote:Young, unemployed and losing hope in BC's boom economy. A rising youth unemployment rate in BC is not what Millennials expected when the BC Jobs Plan was unveiled. The government says be patient: good times are still around the corner.

An older news article , dating back to 2014, which shows how chronic unemployment has been in BC for our younger people.

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/life/y ... om-economy

I can't believe you keep trying to get people wound up with the same nonsense all the time, knowing we can google and check your statements in a heartbeat.

Pretty much every concerning statistic you've mentioned, when investigated, shows that the numbers are far worse in every other province. So yet again you create a subject line that is a lie from the get go.

You must enjoy being called out on this type of nonsense.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

"B.C. lagged almost all other provinces in 2013 in terms of wage increases. The average wage increase for B.C. between November 2012 and November 2013 was 1.7% – below the Canadian average of 2.5% and well below Saskatchewan, which led Canada in terms of wage increases with a 4.7% increase."

https://www.biv.com/article/2014/2/bc-l ... statistic/

BC's wage income growth actually became the worst in Canada in 2015. WOW!!! :200:

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/in ... story.html
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

When a lot of our people, particularly in those public sector unions, are already among the best paid in Canada, well then that statistic doesn't really amount to much.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

“Metro Vancouver’s booming economy relies on a large group of low-paid workers to provide security, catering, cleaning, administration and other services,” says a 2016 working poverty report by Iglika Ivanova of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.

Ivanova’s report also found the majority of people in B.C. living in poverty are not on welfare — of the 14 per cent of British Columbians who live in poverty, just four per cent receive social assistance. Nearly one in 10 people living in Metro Vancouver is “working poor.”

The NDP has said it would boost the minimum wage to $15 if elected. The Liberals are raising it to $11.35 in September. Raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour would be good news for our young people, many of whom are making minimum wage, having to still live at home with their parents.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BeingHuman wrote:The NDP has said it would boost the minimum wage to $15 if elected. The Liberals are raising it to $11.35 in September. Raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour would be good news for our young people, many of whom are making minimum wage, having to still live at home with their parents.

Too bad people aren't required to have bit of a business background before doing some of their soapbox performances.

Raising the minimum wage will be good news for young people, the ones who manage to retain their jobs that is.

I predict there will be a bit of a spike in unemployment as smaller businesses that can't cover the increase, downsize, or just flat out close.

Perhaps those young people should be expanding their horizons, and not be expecting to earn a living wage flipping burgers.

There is after all a reason those types of positions are called "entry level" jobs.

If a burger joint jacks up the cost of burgers 50% to cover the added cost of wages, I guarantee you one thing, I won't be going out for burgers. I'll grab a slab of meat and throw it on my BBQ first. Do you think I'll be the only one doing that?

What happens when the sales drop drastically at a burger joint? What do you figure happens when you jack up the hourly wage almost 50%, and at the same time your income goes down?

Can we call the NDP government to cut us a cheque for the shortfall? Oh wait, what was I thinking, most small businesses aren't unionized. [icon_lol2.gif]
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

If these statistics about BC's economy being the worst in Canada for young people, why is it getting so much traction in the media? Here is another story about it, this time from CKNW;

http://www.cknw.com/2017/03/15/new-stud ... olumbians/

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”