BC Election issues

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Election issues

Post by hobbyguy »

All of the anti site C stuff has been shown to be unrealistic horsefeathers in the site C thread.

Like quoting the disingenuous Wendy who conflated and extrapolated the silly "the flooded area will feed 1,000,000 people" road apple. Wendy inflates the acreage of ALR land that be lost by almost a factor of 5, then assumes it is all class 1 - when a lot of it is class 6 and 7. But even then, using Wendy's wildly inflated numbers, 1,000,000 people/31,000 acres = 32.25 people fed per acre.

Anyone with any logical ability knows there is no way that you can feed 32.25 people from 1 acre!

Then when faced with the reality that every single jurisdiction in the world that has gone "windy-solar" without huge subsidies has skyrocketed electricity prices. Denmark - $.44/kWh. South Australia - $.35/kWh. Germany - $.47/kWh. Compare that Fortis (large scale hydro) - $.11/kWh (taxes included).

Sorry, can't vote for any party that wants us to pay those kinds of electricity rates. Site C is far better for the future.

Cue the ant site C "we don't need the power" off key song. Electric cars are nearing the crossover to where folks start buying and using them in volume - where is all the electricity going to come from? And I guess all the folks creating population growth in BC are going to use candles? And folks that want to start new businesses are going to go back to steam power? Hello?

But that's what you get from the anti site C NDP partisans. Road apples.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Personally I think the premise that hydro-electric energy is non-renewable is a load of bunk.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Site C will provide 1,100 megawatts (MW) of capacity, and produce about 5,100 gigawatt hours (GWh) of electricity each year – enough energy to power the equivalent of about 450,000 homes per year in B.C.

The Site C project received environmental approvals from the federal and provincial governments in October 2014, then got the green light from the Province of B.C. in December, 2014.

Construction of the project started in summer 2015 and will be completed in 2024.

Site C will be a source of clean, reliable and affordable electricity for more than 100 years.

https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/pr ... ite_c.html

Hydro Electric power IS a clean form of energy; and as I believe that the population of BC is going to increase exponentially in the next 30 years, I firmly believe we're going to need all the power Site C can provide.

I'm all for developing alternative energy sources but they should be in addition to, not instead of, Site C.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I have often said that hydro electric dams are simply a way to tap into mother nature's renewable solar/wind/rain cycle. Mother nature always knows best when it comes to renewable and sustainable things.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

(Groan).......I don't believe you just said that. Mother Nature only floods ares that will return to their previous state. She doesn't ruin thousand of acres of farmland, wildlife habitat, and indigenous territory forever.That Williston reservoir is a good example of why humans should stop interfering with Mother Nature. I drove up to Mackenzie a few years ago and went to have a paddle on what used to be a beautiful river surrounded by a lovely landscape. I almost cried when I saw what they'd done in the name of 'progress'.

Years ago, I lived on the banks of the Arrow Lakes. I had friends up at Arrowhead (now one of the 'drowned towns'), and I used to drive up there to visit from time to time. The drive was a breathtaking one; the river meandering along through some of the finest farmland in the Columbia/Kootenay area. It's all gone now, and we'll never get it back.

Maybe we needed all those mega-hydroelectric dams 50 years ago because it was the only viable way to produce renewable energy, but such is not the case now. We don't need to bury towns and farms anymore. We have the technology to produce power without destroying the environment. If only Christy Clark cared more about British Columbia than she does herself, her wealthy friends, and the favours they can do for her.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

There is no free lunch.

Electric lighting replaced whale oil and saved the whales.

Electric cars will replace a big chunk of gasoline cars - and be part of saving the planet.

It is a balance of optimization. You just have to think bigger to see it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:(Groan).......I don't believe you just said that. Mother Nature only floods ares that will return to their previous state. She doesn't ruin thousand of acres of farmland, wildlife habitat, and indigenous territory forever.

I object to your use of the pronoun "she" in this scenario. It is offensive to men and implies that men are not nurturing.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@Hobbyguy:
You're over-simplifying again.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

It's gonna be raining dolla' bills...coming from your wallet

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fact-check-ndp-plan-to-build-114-000-homes-in-10-years-incredibly-unrealistic-say-critics-1.4091560

NDP plan depends on other governments

The CBC fact check team consulted several housing experts who identified three hurdles in Horgan's plan:

The federal government would have to pay one third.
Municipalities would have to donate hundreds of building sites.

The rezoning process would have to be fast-tracked
The NDP platform includes building 7,000 rental homes a year for 10 years, plus "housing for students, singles, seniors and families, ranging from supported social housing to quality, market rental housing."

"Why the government should be in the business of building market housing is beyond me," said Tsur Somerville, the director of UBC's Centre for Urban Economics and Real Estate.

Somerville questions the need for so many homes, when there are only 15,000 people on B.C. Housing's wait list.

"I think that's a really, really hard case to make," he said.

"That's a phenomenal amount of money for a really large number of units. You're talking about the over-doubling of the existing stock of affordable housing," said Somerville.

Cost of NDP housing promise

The NDP platform does not say what its housing plan will cost.

​"Billions to build, hundreds of millions to operate and maybe billions of dollars in city land, plus a construction industry that is already running at full tilt," said Jordan Bateman, former Canadian Taxpayers Federation spokesperson, and now communications directors with the Independent Contractors and Businesses Association of B.C.

"It is an incredibly unrealistic plan," said Bateman.

Somerville estimates it will cost at least $15 billion, if they can find Crown land and $30 billion if land must be purchased.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Oh my goodness!

This CAN'T be good for the NDP!

https://www.facebook.com/Steve4Kelowna/ ... 4417473830
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Rwede wrote:Oh my goodness!

This CAN'T be good for the NDP!

https://www.facebook.com/Steve4Kelowna/ ... 4417473830

Obviously the dippers were desperate to run a full slate of candidates. She lost the North okanagan monashee nomination so she casts her eyes South and gets acclaimed in Kelowna Mission! None of the local party faithful could be bothered to stand for nomination [icon_lol2.gif]

Her chances of winning this riding are less than the chances that the BCTF will endorse Clark for premier.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ To borrow a much overused word from the left.............. "disgusting".
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Remember when Dayleen was an NDP candidate here?

Just sayin'...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Old Techie wrote:^^ To borrow a much overused word from the left.............. "disgusting".

I think Rwebe and GB have the market on that word.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Rwede wrote:Remember when Dayleen was an NDP candidate here?

Just sayin'...

I remember that. It sort of suggests that the only requirement necessary to qualify for the NDP is that you be breathing. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”