BC Election issues

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: BC Election issues

Post by krocky »

This just in Christy Clark says NO new HST and no VAT.. She "promises" which in Christy speak means I won't implement it until "after" the election, you know like my 50% pay increase after the last time you were all stupid enough to believe me.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#196102
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

krocky wrote:This just in Christy Clark says NO new HST and no VAT.. She "promises" which in Christy speak means I won't implement it until "after" the election, you know like my 50% pay increase after the last time you were all stupid enough to believe me.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#196102

What did the NDP say about the 50% pay increase they were too greedy to opt out of when given the chance?

Did you call them up and give them hell for lining their pockets?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Yeah the last promise on the HST lead to an expensive referendum. Regardless on where you stand on that issue, pro or con, it sure would have been more honest to just say what you fully intended to do rather than lie to get elected and do it anyhow. It just lead to a stupid referendum that didn't need to be.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Rwede wrote:
What did the NDP say about the 50% pay increase they were too greedy to opt out of when given the chance?

Did you call them up and give them hell for lining their pockets?

For what it's worth, I did get a hold of both parties to voice my displeasure. Never heard back from either.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@OldTechie:
Thanks for re-submitting my little song. I was afraid someone might have missed it.The biggest BC Election issue in the Okanagan is the bowing and scraping of the Christy Clark Fan Club.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Excellent Globe editorial. Two excerpts and a link to the full editorial:

Of all the interactions ever to occur between a voter and a campaigning politician, the one last week between BC Liberal Party Leader Christy Clark and a woman in a North Vancouver market has got to be among the most anodyne.

Except, of course, that this one was caught on camera and went viral on Twitter, where it is being used against Ms. Clark.

We’re not buying it. Anyone who wants to can see the incident online and judge for themselves.

The voter in question, Linda Higgins, is an innocent party in all of this. There’s no evidence she was looking to make news, or that she was an NDP plant. She deserves no condemnation.

But neither did Ms. Clark do anything wrong. In fact, in the hurly-burly of a closely fought election campaign, she handled it well. Voters love to tell politicians they are not going to vote for them; it’s a fact of life for campaigners. As long as a politician is respectful, he or she can move on without having to listen to every prepared lecture about their failings.

Voters who start a conversation with “I would never vote for you” shouldn’t be shocked when the conversation is brief. The assumption in the #IamLinda hashtag is that Linda Higgins is a victim. But of what? Of not being an exception to the facts of life?

Link to full editorial: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/ ... e34880286/
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://glbn.ca/T5Huzz

notley wants to know whay clark wants to put albertans out of work . :smt045
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

MJ - Christy is simply using the election bullhorn to amplify a message to Donald Trump - that there are other chips on the table if Donald goes all Trumpian on softwood lumber. It is called a negotiating tactic - and it is right out of "The Art of the Deal" lol.

Trump needs his "coal" voters (even though he made false promises to them). If the US can't export thermal coal, then Trump loses Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.

That's a pretty good bargaining chip to put on the table, and especially as Christy knows it is not one she can play, only the feds could. But it really works well for the federal Liberals, because they can negotiate with it sticking in the back of Donald's mind - even though they never mentioned it.

"Long game" negotiating. Well done.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://glbn.ca/T5Huzz

notley wants to know whay clark wants to put albertans out of work . :smt045

notley should mind her own business, and not screw co. like atco with her carbon tax. :cuss:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hmm..... I suspect the 3 leaders would not play well with each other if the election gets a minority Government.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

GordonH wrote:Hmm..... I suspect the 3 leaders would not play well with each other if the election gets a minority Government.

The only good that will come out of a minority government is the retirement of some of the dinosaurs.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

mr.bandaid wrote:Yeah the last promise on the HST lead to an expensive referendum. Regardless on where you stand on that issue, pro or con, it sure would have been more honest to just say what you fully intended to do rather than lie to get elected and do it anyhow. It just lead to a stupid referendum that didn't need to be.

It was an expensive referendum, coming in at $8.9 Million according to Elections BC. Who knew having a government not being honest and upfront would have that kind of cost associated to it?
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Hmm..... I suspect the 3 leaders would not play well with each other if the election gets a minority Government.

mr.bandaid wrote:The only good that will come out of a minority government is the retirement of some of the dinosaurs.

In many cases minority governments can work well, what it means is the leaders have to actually cooperate with each other.
Usually what happens is non conveyance vote and another election, which is waste of taxpayers money.... just because the leaders can't play well with each other.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

BeingHuman wrote:It was an expensive referendum, coming in at $8.9 Million according to Elections BC. Who knew having a government not being honest and upfront would have that kind of cost associated to it?

Revisionist history. As Bill Good pointed out at the time, the government never promised NOT to bring in the HST. The issue wasn't honesty but the handling of the HST file was a gong show from beginning to end. Despite that the NDP still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Minority governments usually result in another election before
end of term.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”