HST??

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

HST??

Post by Retrosnap »

I wonder if the NDP internal polls are showing trouble?

Why else would they make the claim that the Libs are going to bring back the HST?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3426242/b-c-l ... ure-taxes/

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#196102

Maybe, given his temper, Christie should ask John "When did you stop beating your wife?"

And before I get attacked, I don't believe for a second that he's an abuser (well, unless you have more than 60K in your wallet). It's a well known, example of a loaded question...not unlike the HST question.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/loadques.html
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: HST??

Post by TimmyE »

Wow, where did this one come from. Maybe the Liberal should ask the NDP when they are going to bring back tolls on the Coquihalla.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 4th, 2017, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Retrosnap wrote:I wonder if the NDP internal polls are showing trouble?

Why else would they make the claim that the Libs are going to bring back the HST?

The Christy government is responsible for the HST rumour. Implementing a VAT (HST) was a recommendation brought forward by a government appointed panel..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... e34870978/

A VAT/ HST in BC is a very real possibility if the libs win another majority. The question is, will it be implemented thru proper channels, or will it be forced on the electorate like the last time.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The polls have been moving away from the NDP and toward the Liberals. Hence the HST stories. If re-elected the Liberals will not re-introduce the HST and I think almost everyone knows that.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Urbane wrote:The polls have been moving away from the NDP and toward the Liberals. Hence the HST stories.

The polls can't be trusted, you've said that yourself many times.

Urbane wrote:If re-elected the Liberals will not re-introduce the HST and I think almost everyone knows that.

What most everyone knows is that Christy is a compulsive liar.
Póg Mo Thoin
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

The polls can't be trusted, you've said that yourself many times.

Urbane didn't say he trusted the polls. The polls are showing a trend towards the Liberals, so the NDP are panicking and making up stories.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Muzza wrote:
    Urbane didn't say he trusted the polls. The polls are showing a trend towards the Liberals, so the NDP are panicking and making up stories.

Exactly.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Urbane only quotes polls when it is advantage Liberals. When it is the other way than the polls are not to be trusted. Cheerleaders will cheer. The only poll I will even read is the one that comes out the day after the election. Before that they are not worth the ink to create them. You can look back if you want, I have always held that point.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Still, fabricating stories like this HST one does show some measure of desperation on Mr. Horgan's part, doesn't it? any opinions on the veracity of polls aside, don't you think the NDP would have a source or two for credible information?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

That really is a two way street Fluffy. Both parties have been guilty of fabricating their own version of the truth.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

fluffy wrote:Still, fabricating stories like this HST one does show some measure of desperation on Mr. Horgan's part, doesn't it? any opinions on the veracity of polls aside, don't you think the NDP would have a source or two for credible information?

As recently as last week Christy was taking the implementation of a VAT/ HST under consideration....I posted the link above.
It's not an act of desperation on Horgans part to be talking about a bought and paid for government study.
Póg Mo Thoin
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

mr.bandaid wrote:Urbane only quotes polls when it is advantage Liberals. When it is the other way than the polls are not to be trusted. Cheerleaders will cheer. The only poll I will even read is the one that comes out the day after the election. Before that they are not worth the ink to create them. You can look back if you want, I have always held that point.
Where did I say that the polls should be trusted? Nowhere. All I'm saying is if the NDP thinks the momentum isn't going their way they're more likely to make things up, i.e. the HST story. I do NOT trust polls and I have no idea who will win next Tuesday. I do have a hunch but I won't share that right now.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

it's tried, tested and true. People who poll as NDP supporters are much less likely to vote than BC Liberal voters. That's why an NDP lead at the polls of less than 5% really doesn't mean much, as those 5% aren't going to vote. When you rely on people who are only voting for you because you are promising them more free stuff for nothing, don't expect them to be there when you need them.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

Yes, I believe the NDP is getting desperate. And now Mr. Horgan says he is going to oppose the Kinder Morgan pipeline, but doesn't say how. It's part of the NDP policy of just say no to everything. Don't they remember that was their killer four years ago.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”