Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

B.C. NDP candidate ordered to pay $75K in defamation suit

Post by Gone_Fishin »

B.C. NDP candidate ordered to pay $75K in defamation suit

Ruling comes just 5 days before election

CBC News Posted: May 04, 2017 8:07 PM PT Last Updated: May 04, 2017 9:04 PM PT

An NDP candidate in the Kootenays has been ordered to pay $75,000 in damages in a defamation suit.

Gerry Taft, the mayor of Invermere, called an opponent of the deer cull in his town a "convicted felon," and a Cranbrook, B.C. judge ruled that the comments were defamatory.

Under Taft's watch, Invermere was one of the first towns in B.C. to cull urban deer.

Controversy around the cull got so heated a man named Devin Kazakoff destroyed nets used to trap deer in neighbouring Kimberley.

Kazakoff was charged with mischief and given a conditional discharge.

Taft waded into an online argument and called Kazakoff a "convicted felon," which is not true, and was sued.

The trial began the day Taft was to start campaigning and the ruling came Thursday — five days away from the provincial vote.

In his ruling, Justice Weatherhill awarded Kazakoff $75,000 in damages and said Taft's online post "attacked Kazakoff`s credibility."

Taft says he is disappointed by the ordeal and the judgement.

snip

Taft's Liberal opponent, Doug Clovechok, was quick to jump on the news.

"The people of Columbia River-Revelstoke deserve an MLA with the highest integrity, someone they can trust," Clovechok said in a statement.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4100641
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: B.C. NDP candidate ordered to pay $75K in defamation sui

Post by maryjane48 »

so the guy messes with private property and the clark supporters defend the moron. im all for stopping useless culls but not for touching other folks property . if your ok with this then you will be okay with people messing with pipelines and what ever else because you cant have it both ways . :smt045
Muzza
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Muzza »

maryjane48 wrote:so the guy messes with private property and the clark supporters defend the moron. im all for stopping useless culls but not for touching other folks property . if your ok with this then you will be okay with people messing with pipelines and what ever else because you cant have it both ways . :smt045

The guy who did the damage is not running for public office (and yes he is an idiot for damaging property!)
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

maryjane48 wrote:so the guy messes with private property and the clark supporters defend the moron. im all for stopping useless culls but not for touching other folks property . if your ok with this then you will be okay with people messing with pipelines and what ever else because you cant have it both ways . :smt045

No one has defended either of the morons involved.

Same Gerry Taft from this story last year

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3811299

The current MLA is the NDP's Norm MacDonald, who is retiring after three terms in office. The party has a policy requiring any departing MLA to be replaced by a woman or "equity-seeking candidate," including racial minorities, Indigenous people, and members of the LGBTQ community.

Hawes is a woman with a disability, and after losing the race, she questioned how Taft could be the candidate.

Gerry stood up and stated he would take the D for the NDP.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Once again I feel vindicated. After reading that CBC story a few months ago, I dashed an e-mail off to Craig Keaton, head honcho of the BCNDP, telling him what I thought of their 'gender equity' policy. The very same thing happened in my riding, and I'm sure the NDP's going to lose a lot of votes over this. I would never vote for an obvious liar like Taft, and I'm glad he got fined for his slanderous statement.

As for BC Liberal MLA Clovechok's statement, "The people of Columbia River-Revelstoke deserve an MLA with the highest integrity, someone they can trust", I find that laughable, considering his boss is the biggest liar ever to find herself in a position of power.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 5th, 2017, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”