BC Election issues

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Election issues

Post by hobbyguy »

fluffy, I agree. The NDP have made me angry - at them. I admit I have a problem in that "I do not suffer fools gladly".
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:Most of us are not so selfish and stingy that we would sing the praises of a government that has a reverse Robin Hood attitude........steal from the poor and give to the rich. That's exactly what the BC Liberals have been doing for 16 years, and this theft of BC taxpayers' dollars has been accelerating rapidly since Christy took over from Martini Gord.

Contrary to Christy cheerleaders belief, B.C.'s economy is a house of cards just waiting to collapse along with the B.C. housing market that has been the only thing that's been sustaining it for the past several years. Job creeation under Christy's reign is practically non-existent except for minimum wage service jobs. The 13,000 jobs that were supposed to be created by AdvantageBC didn't materialize. Only 300 of those jobs were created. The Site C dam, which is Christy's 'ace in the hole' will only go ahead if she's reelected, and even if that remote possibility occurs, the whole north slope will likely slide into the river and the BC taxpayers will wind up footing the bill for the clean-up as well as the cost of the whole failed project to date.

If our health care is better than everywhere else in Canada, I'd hate to think how long people in the other provinces have to wait for lab tests and surgery. And 'the government' doesn't plan to expand the UBC medical school. That was just one of Christy's campaign promises, and we all know how much faith to put in those, don't we?

If our education outcomes are good, it's in spite of the government, not because of it. Who can forget the 15 years Christy fought our teachers in court, spending all our money that could have gone towards school programs instead of lawyers pockets, and in the end she lost in the Supreme Court of Canada. The judge took only 20 minutes to decide in favour of the teachers. Christy tried to spin it in her favour, but that went over like a lead balloon.

The Kinder Morgan expansion will not go ahead. Anyone with a brain (of course that excludes Clark and Trudeau) knows that we'll never meet our GHG emissions targets if the tar sands are allowed to increase production, and the people who live on the coast will not take the risks involved in increased bitumen tanker traffic. Besides the price of oil is dropping again and the multinational oil corporations in Alberta aren't about to keep mining bitumen when there's no profit in it.

That old fearmongering tactic about how raising the minimum wage results in job losses has been debunked many times over.
Why should British Columbians vote for the NDP or Greens? Because they're the only political parties that care about ordinary people and the environment, and they're the only ones who will spend our tax dollars wisely. Both parties have a few policies that don't resonate with everyone, but both are 100% better than the BC Liberals.

Oh, and Urb, O.T., G.B. et al? 'Rah, rah, rah, siss, boom, bah!......and goodnight.

Instead of wasting my time by reading a repeat of what you've posted in every other thread, I'll just respond by asking you a simple question.

If the NDP is so great and you figure capable of governing better, then why haven't they been the governing party, for the last sixteen years?

It seems as though you are suggesting you are smarter than the voters. Having read enough of your input to give me a headache, I'd say you are unequivocally not.

Many of us have indicated numerous times that we wish there were another viable option. We just don't agree with you that anyone but Clark is the way to go, given that under the Liberal regime our economy has done well, and quite a number of BC's statistics are the envy of other provinces.

We see no wisdom in voting in a party with a worse track record, simply to be able to say Clark is gone, which is about all voting for the NDP would do. Well that plus jack up taxes and trash our economy yet again.

You might do well to take note of the fact that the ones yelling the loudest, when it comes to saying the 90's were great, despite records showing otherwise, were all public sector union workers. That would be the sector least impacted by stupid government policy, because they are accustomed to existing off the tax payer teat, as opposed to putting themselves at risk, as in small business, which is the heartbeat of British Columbia. Of course they thought it was great, they didn't suffer given the NDP's union umbilical cord.

A very visible common denominator found in all of you, is the distinct inability to recognize the same issues within the NDP, that you so hate in the Liberals. Then again blind hatred has a tendency to cloud logic,reason, and good judgment.

I care more about the policies of a government, than I ever will what color flag they are flying. If they ever came up with a good logical platform I could even support the NDP. The problem is after being subjected to NDP rule a number of times, and in different locations, I've yet to see them produce such a platform. The only consistency they seem to have mastered is failure.

In contrast, there are some who would devoutly vote orange, regardless the platform be good or bad, and despite another party producing a clearly better one, just as they would continue to ignore the shortcomings of their party.

The biggest one this election being Horgan's lack of solid commitment to answering the question, how will you pay for your promises. After sixteen years I'd say the NDP has had ample time and opportunity to formulate a fully costed platform that voters could take under serious consideration. Expecting people to vote for the unknown is absurd, even more so when we know for a fact that unknown is going to cost each and every one of us. Also the Kinder Morgan flip flop cost Dix the election, and now Horgan say's he'll stop it. I'm speculating that will cost him the same NDP votes that Dix lost. The workers engaged in that type of work want it to come through, and don't want a leader who says no to every project on the table, that would generate pay cheques.

I don't know who is going to win on Tuesday, and whatever the outcome, we will all have to deal with it regardless. I love BC and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Canada. I've tried it and came back here. I have faith that the people of BC will do the smart thing.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:according to angus reid 66 percent of bcers think the ndp would do better by running a deficit and funding social programs and raising taxes on the top percent . the will is there :smt045

Then 66% of BC'ers are idiots.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

jamapple wrote:
Actually they do. They will fight tooth and nail to get back in bed with the dreaded BCTF. They love their platform! I know of a teacher who is just hell bent on the NDP, yet, it's role in their union is the ONLY thing this person ever talks about. But then, of course, through posts on social media, this person also posts all the "evil Christy Clarke blame for everything" posts. It's classic, really.

The BCTF wants to go back to the glory days of the 1990's when they could just negotiate a deal with themselves, like the sleaze-bag 1998 deal that Dix and Clark did with them that screwed over BC taxpayers massively. The NDP must never be allowed to take power in this province ever again. They are a malignant tumor on the BC political scene.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I'm not sure what will be more annoying. If the NDP win the election and you continue to complain about the NDP in every post.
Or if the Liberals win the election and you continue to complain about the NDP in every post.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

jamapple wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:
That's why we see the NDP being uber attack dog silly. They have nothing, zero, nada, to offer anyone who actually looks at their platform with an eye toward what will it accomplish. In fact the NDP platform offers less than zero because it makes no sense whatsoever when examined. It is purely an attack document without proper solutions to the grievances raised.

Actually they do. They will fight tooth and nail to get back in bed with the dreaded BCTF. They love their platform! I know of a teacher who is just hell bent on the NDP, yet, it's role in their union is the ONLY thing this person ever talks about. But then, of course, through posts on social media, this person also posts all the "evil Christy Clarke blame for everything" posts. It's classic, really.

The proof is in the pudding, and though the BCTF and NDP loyalists would have the entire of BC believe that our educational system is deplorable, the graduation statistics in both numbers, and scores, tell quite a different story.

Nothing infuriates me more than the NDP, BCTF, and some teachers even, exploiting our children for their own selfish gain, and in worst case scenarios, even crossing the line, by actually engaging in what can only be described as NDP indoctrination.

I sent my kids to school to learn the basics, not to be recruited to the NDP party. Any teacher doing what that one in Vernon did, using her grade school class to elicit sympathy, while strike actions were going on, should be fired instantly.

Politics has zero place in a class of seven or eight year olds. University level, fine have at it, but public school keep your political bias out of it.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The Green Barbarian wrote: The NDP must never be allowed to take power in this province ever again. They are a malignant tumor on the BC political scene.

I was thinking more along the lines of hemorrhoid on the butt of humanity. :biggrin:
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

George+ wrote:Glad to. NDP will support..

$10 phased in Daycare.

Stupid idea that failed miserably in Quebec. After costing billions. It's just plain a dumb idea.

Frozen utility costs

I don't know how they can say they are freezing utility costs when they also say that they are raising carbon taxes. My utility bill includes carbon taxes (which drives me nuts as its such a stupid brainless tax) and so if carbon taxes go up, my utility bills are the farthest thing from being frozen. I assume this is what is known as "NDP math", in which nothing actually has to make sense for their sheep and trained seals to clap along.

MSP removal

With higher taxes to compensate, so really, who cares.

No bridge tolls.

Don't know what this means as I don't pay tolls now on any bridges. In other words, I don't care.

Serious review of Site C

No, all that will happen will be a serious fleecing of BC taxpayers as hordes of NDP cronies descend on Site C and wrap it in miles of red tape, while they suck down six figure salaries doing myriad and unending "studies". We've all seen this movie before, and the trained seals will clap along as they line their pockets with taxpayer cash, and nothing gets done.
Support expanding Deas Island tunnel.

I don't know what this is and I care even less.

Improved public transit.

By doing what?? What does this mean? I honestly don't care, but I also don't know what this means.

Environmental protection by encouraging alternative energy sources.

I assume this is eco-nut speak for "waste billions of taxpayer dollars on stupidly expensive bad ideas like solar and wind power". The province of Ontario is sitting there as a shining example of stupid power management, with people having to make decisions between eating and heating, and having their power turned off. And yet here's the nutbag NDP wanting to inflict this same stupidity. They have learned nothing. What a bunch of yutzes.

No Kinder Morgan expansion...leave as is.

I actually laughed at this one. It's like the NDP is giving up. They know this issue sunk them last time, and here they go, plowing right back into it. Great - "leave as is", whatever the hell that means. Truck and rail all the oil, and blow up another Canadian city. Brilliant plan NDP. So forward thinking for the party of NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End Grizzly hunt.

This is actually an issue??? WHO THE HELL CARES. No one smart, that I can guarantee you.

Proportional Representation.

Not this nonsense again. We had a referendum, the people don't want it, and the only people who do want it are people who perennially lose elections, due to their extremely bad ideas. These bad ideas shouldn't be rewarded, as they are under proportional representation. They should be kept far from the corridors of power.

Solid pragmatic leader in John Horgan.

This one had me laughing too. Going into this election I wasn't sure how dumb Horgan was, but then he opened his fat mouth and removed all doubt. Horgan would be an embarrassment as our premier, and I would cringe every time there was a premier conference, knowing that hot-headed bozo was our representative on a national basis.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Old Techie wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of hemorrhoid on the butt of humanity. :biggrin:

ha ha yeah that's actually better!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Omnitheo wrote:I'm not sure what will be more annoying. If the NDP win the election and you continue to complain about the NDP in every post.
Or if the Liberals win the election and you continue to complain about the NDP in every post.

Yes, how dare we discuss the disgusting and horrible NDP in an election thread. I am sorry you find my posts exposing NDP stupidity "annoying", but perhaps you should actually listen and learn rather than continue to do what Leftists do best, whine and cry.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Oh if only those posts were only in election threads
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
George+ wrote:Glad to. NDP will support..

$10 phased in Daycare.

Stupid idea that failed miserably in Quebec. After costing billions. It's just plain a dumb idea.

Naturally George would like it.

I recall reading a submission from a former Quebec resident, who said the ones who benefited most from that plan, were the civil servants who didn't really need it.

It really tends to come across, as if a lot of those in that category, see themselves as having a level of entitlement, those not in that rank, simply can't relate to.

I appreciate those working in that sector, but at the same time, I wish they were a little more cognizant of the fact, that they are in many cases, already far better off, than those they are working for. In short more appreciative of what they have, rather than fixated on what they don't.

We are all equally capable of dreaming up things we don't have, that we wish we could.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The NDP (BCTF political arm) are nowhere on daycare. Their past policy errors from the 1990s just reared their ugly heads thanks to the courts and the BC Libs making a technical error. That results in - you guessed it - shutting down daycare spaces.

And what the heck good is $10/day daycare in 10 years? Anyone who needs help now will have their kids in high school by then!

The BC Greens have by far the best plan for daycare.
Last edited by hobbyguy on May 6th, 2017, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I see MJ grabbed a small snippet of the Angus Reid data.

Here is a more important one - the BC Liberals have a 7 point lead in those who weighed in on which party would form the best government. 25% were undecided - a big number. But if they vote based on that overall, the results don't look good for the NDP as they will get a smaller chunk of the undecided.

Polls can be spun 6 ways to Sunday. So that probably doesn't mean much.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Omnitheo wrote:Oh if only those posts were only in election threads

Oh if only the NDP weren't so terrible and disgusting.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”