JOBS! Jobs! jobs?

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: JOBS! Jobs! jobs?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

JLives wrote:
JollyGreenBully wrote:Job growth as in what exactly? Yes, I'm seriously asking. I always see all these ads and so on claiming "jobs" are being created, but what jobs are we talking about specifically and where are they?

If they're high-paying jobs then great, thanks Christy. If we're talking about a thousand more minimum wage jobs and counting that as "job growth" then that's ridiculous.

Are there actual stats somewhere? Every time I look there are just blanket statements about "jobs" but no specifics.

They're everywhere. I could find jobs for at least 100 carpenters tomorrow morning. Every industry is booming right now in this area. I'm not giving Clark credit for that though. I think this would be happening regardless of who is in office. People want to live here.

I agree with you that Clark doesn't deserve all the credit, but Liberal policies do deserve some of it. People want to live here yes, but many who come here did so for reasons other than our weather and scenery.

I've had opportunity to do work for a number of businessmen, who relocated here from Alberta, simply because they can't stand Notley, and prefer our economic climate.

The Liberals are more small business friendly than the NDP could ever be.

@JollyGreenBully - Specific stats no, but being involved in construction I agree with JLives it is just booming around here. The other factor to consider, is the latest unemployment statistics for BC, showing us around the 5% mark which is pretty decent. The most important part of which, is that we are that low, despite a heavy influx of workers from Alberta who left due to the bad economy there.

One can't help but notice how many pickups there are driving around here with red plates on them. These aren't vacationers.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

hobbyguy wrote:Actually it does matter which party is in power.

The NDP years were an absolute disaster for private sector jobs. They covered that up by running big deficits and hiring a ton of public sector workers (even though there was no need). I criticized Harper for that as well.

The current NDP platform will do exactly the same thing as the 1990s NDP mess. Not surprising, it is the same old bunch at the helm, Dix and Horgan. They will kill a LOT of jobs outside their immediate constituency and pad public sector jobs to compensate, run deficits, and not deliver better services.

The best platform for future jobs is the Green party platform, with the Liberals in second place, but back a bit. Both have some balance issues, but make some sense. Wish I could merge the two platforms in a "best practices" exercise.
I'm a centrist and not on the centre-left or left but I were over on the left I would definitely vote Green. Why vote for the same old bunch who failed the last time they were in power? The same old bunch who have lost four elections in a row? And yes, it does matter which party is in power.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

1. You said you voted BC Liberal.
2. The Greens aren't ready for prime time.
3. Your constant Christy Clark-like endorsement of them is as clear as a freshly-washed window.
4. Who do you think your fooling?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:1. You said you voted BC Liberal.
    2. The Greens aren't ready for prime time.
    3. Your constant Christy Clark-like endorsement of them is as clear as a freshly-washed window.
    4. Who do you think your fooling?

You should read my posts before you reply. You missed one important part in my last post. See you you can find it and try replying again.
:biggrin:
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

What part would that be? The one that states you are a 'centrist'? You can't mean that one, because you voted for a BC Liberal candidate, and the BC Liberal party is about as close to 'the centre' as Donald J. Trump.

Anyway, we seem to be straying from the 'jobs' thread. Once again I'll state that there have been more well-paying jobs lost during the Campbell/Clark years than have been created. Where's your link to disprove that?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:What part would that be? The one that states you are a 'centrist'? You can't mean that one, because you voted for a BC Liberal candidate, and the BC Liberal party is about as close to 'the centre' as Donald J. Trump.

Anyway, we seem to be straying from the 'jobs' thread. Once again I'll state that there have been more well-paying jobs lost during the Campbell/Clark years than have been created. Where's your link to disprove that?

No, you still didn't find it. Try again.

You're the one who made the claim so how about you provide a link proving that claim. Start with 2016 when BC created over 73,000 jobs. Show us how the premier fired more than that number.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Urbane is certainly not a centrist.
The current Liberals are right wing Conservatives. He voted for them.
The Greens are way over on the far left.
And the NDP is actually the centrist party.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^^ [icon_lol2.gif] :laugh: NDP centrist. :laugh: :spitcoffee: [icon_lol2.gif]
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

those alberta fre8nds must not be veru intelligent if they dont like the ndp but move to a province where chances are the ndp will win . where off to next ? [icon_lol2.gif]
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on May 7th, 2017, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't worry about others spelling. thanks!
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Yes.
You, too.
N.D.P.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

George+ wrote:Yes.
You, too.
N.D.P.

You sure you want to go down that road? It's spelled "L i b e r a l" George, and I typed it slow, especially for you.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on May 8th, 2017, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

You still here, Urb? I just got home from work and haven't had time to research all the jobs lost during the Campbell/Clark years. Would you like me to include the murder/suicides of some of the fired employees, or just the non-violent results?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:You still here, Urb? I just got home from work and haven't had time to research all the jobs lost during the Campbell/Clark years. Would you like me to include the murder/suicides of some of the fired employees, or just the non-violent results?
Would that be like your Coquihalla research?? LOL. Thanks but no thanks!
:D

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”