The direct result of the NDP's $15 minimum wage proposal

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The direct result of the NDP's $15 minimum wage proposal

Post by Rwede »

If someone has made minimum wage all their life, my suggestion would be to log off Castanet and take a course or two with that time to better your credentials and get a better wage from your employer.

Once you become a filthy rich corporatist neo-con jerk like I am, you can log back on and tell us what you learned.

In the alternative, you can vote NDP and then come back in a year and tell us why you've lost your minimum wage job when your employer closed shop due to NDP policies and fled to the US or Saskatchewan.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JollyGreenBully wrote: I've made minimum wage my entire life as have a lot of other people I know.

I honestly don't believe this, unless you were 15 years old when you started working and your "entire life" means you are now 21.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JollyGreenBully wrote:Try talking to people who work in retail stores sometime. They make make minimum wage unless they're managers or supervisors of some kind.

My wife started working at the mall working for a clothing store. She walked into a store and got a job above min. wage, and was quickly promoted within months to a shift supervisor and was given a raise. After that she left to work in a field that she desired.

Even retail these days doesn't pay min. wage.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JollyGreenBully wrote:I've made minimum wage my entire life as have a lot of other people I know.

Why? There are a number of entry level jobs available that pay more than this. To advance in these jobs you basically need to be able to breathe.

Here's the listings, and not a single job quotes minimum wage - https://classifieds.castanet.net/cat/jo ... aners/?p=2

Most of them $13-15-/hour to start with improvement as you gain more experience and show value to the employer.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Even Steven wrote:
Why? There are a number of entry level jobs available that pay more than this. To advance in these jobs you basically need to be able to breathe.

Because it's not actually true.

Here's Skogies:

Skogie's Auto Spa in Kelowna is hiring car wash attendants and detailers for F/T and P/T positions. This is a physical, customer service job that requires customer interaction, use of a high-pressure detail gun,, vacuuming cars, cleaning windows, cleaning mats and other assorted light physical work and cleaning duties. Applicants must be physically fit and energetic, possess a good attitude, work well with others and the public, and have an eye for details. Skogie's is a very busy place to work. Must be available for weekends.

Starting wage is $11 with a promotion to $13 after 3 months. Medical benefits available to employees after 6 months continuous employment.

Tips typically amount to another $1.50 - $2.25 per hour depending on the season.

Wow - a raise of $2 an hour after 3 months. That's pretty good. I should let my nephew know about this.

I wish I had made that kind of coin back in the day working at a car wash in high school. And I can vouch for the tips, I use Skogies and I always tip the nice young people who work there.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Starting wage is $11 with a promotion to $13 after 3 months. Medical benefits available to employees after 6 months continuous employment.

Tips typically amount to another $1.50 - $2.25 per hour depending on the season.

So, in six months one can be making $15/hour + benefits. It's not a rolling in dough position, but it's way better than "making min. wage all my life". Not to mention if you're not a complete dummy, you'll advance with time to a lead and with time you can be making more. Once again, not middle class, but way better than making min. wage as the poster claims.

Something tells me that virtually anybody can do this job. What stops our friend?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

JGB

You work min wage with a 4 year university degree?

life is not your circumstances life is your decisions
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Even Steven wrote: What stops our friend?

Perhaps reality doesn't fit his narrative, which is blaming Christy Clark for some fictional situation.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Makes min wage and has a car ... takes it to stories for detailing...

I do pretty good . I can not afford to pay hundreds of dollars to have my car cleaned
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Christy Clark is alternative facts.

Most voters vote against her.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Jflem1983 wrote:Makes min wage and has a car ... takes it to stories for detailing...

I do pretty good . I can not afford to pay hundreds of dollars to have my car cleaned

Skogies is a pretty good deal. I usually use my Petro-Points.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Rwede wrote:Perhaps reality doesn't fit his narrative, which is blaming Christy Clark for some fictional situation.

-I don't remember blaming Christy Clark for anything. I stated my personal circumstances which was obviously a mistake judging
by the mean posts here

-Just because a job is listed on a website doesn't mean a person can be successful in obtaining the job. But thanks a lot guys for
throwing around the word 'dummy.' There are people making minimum wage out there, it's a simple fact
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JollyGreenBully wrote:-Just because a job is listed on a website doesn't mean a person can be successful in obtaining the job.

So you give up without even trying instead of having a chance of increasing your income by almost 50% (plus benefits) to continue with complaining and getting offended at every single word? I think this is a very definition of lack of ambition.

Cause if I was you, I'd be all over a chance to increase my income by 50% - applying for every single one of these jobs, showing up in person to follow up, shaking hands with managers and owners, introducing yourself and telling them you're interested in the job and will take any shifts available.

There are people making minimum wage out there, it's a simple fact

Yup. And for a very good reason in a lot of cases that stares at them in the mirror.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

I never said anything about not applying, I simply stated that just because jobs are available doesn't mean the applicant will obtain the job. This is the second time you've put words in my mouth, and this time it's to belittle me. Jesus Christ you guys are harsh.

The question was asked 'who makes minimum wage?' I answered - some people do. But apparently all these people are lazy slobs so who cares.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”