BC Liberal Minority! Predictions for the Future:

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: BC Liberal Minority! Predictions for the Future:

Post by Drip_Torch »

BeingHuman wrote:British Columbians are waking up to the first minority government in BC since 1952. What are your predictions for political leadership in BC going forward?

For me there are two certainties; 1. Corporate and union money will no longer be a part of BC's political party funding landscape; 2. Proportional Representation is a certainty in future elections in British Columbia... why these two certainties? Because both the NDP and the Greens want them, and they will have them!

I'd be inclined to predict a green speaker of the house and an increased carbon tax - provided the minority positon holds through the recounts.

Pro/rep has got to be looking very good to the greens today, but getting that change through the process is another matter, entirely. Getting rid of Corp/Union donations to political parties sounds good and I'd certainly support that, but I'm not holding my breath till the politicians make it happen.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Depending on the absentee ballot count, if it changes it from minority to very slim majority or not.
If it stays a minority, I'd interested to see if & when the Greens or NDP cause a non confidence vote to happen.
Then to possible backlash from that move i.e unnecessary spending taxpayers money on another election before the 4 years are up.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:I'd interested to see if & when the Greens or NDP cause a non confidence vote to happen.

A vote of non-confidence wouldn't really benefit anyone but the NDP, and I think Mr. Weaver is enough of a thinking person to wield the power he now holds in that department very carefully. I believe he sees Mr. Horgan as a bit of a loose cannon, and he's in a position now to trade off his support for the Liberals for advances in a green agenda. As long as the Liberals stay in minority the Greens are the kingmakers.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:@GB (regarding PR):
57% of British Columbians voted for proportional representation at the last referendum. .

Actually, 60.9% of British Columbians voted against it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_C ... ndum,_2009
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote:^^We could also end up with an NDP majority government. After the absentee ballots are counted and the recounts of a few ridings are tabulated, it could go either way, or stay the same. There's a good chance construction of the Site C dam will be suspended (and eventually scrapped), the Kinder Morgan Pipeline expansion will be history, and LNG extraction by fracking will also end up on the chopping block.

along with all of those jobs. We'll just sit around collecting welfare and staring at each other.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

There are other measures, such as relaxing party discipline, that we should try first before we change our entire voting system. For example, as Andrew Weaver pointed out some NDP MLA's wanted to support some Liberal initiatives but were ordered to vote no by Horgan. That doesn't seem right.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Urbane wrote:There are other measures, such as relaxing party discipline, that we should try first before we change our entire voting system. For example, as Andrew Weaver pointed out some NDP MLA's wanted to support some Liberal initiatives but were ordered to vote no by Horgan. That doesn't seem right.

Voting party lines is certainly not unique to the NDP and to suggest so is ridiculous. By the people for the people is a myth.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

If Weaver wants to come out with nonsense like that, he should be man enough to state who those NDP MLAs were. If he's so knowledgeable, why didn't he name some of Christy's clapping seals as well? It's common knowledge that they're 'whipped' as well.
@GB:
The 57% of 'yes' votes for proportional representation was stated by a member of the MSM last night. Are you calling the MSM liars? Without looking at your link, I'd say you were referring to just one of the referenda. There were two, remember?
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

The Green Barbarian wrote:along with all of those jobs. We'll just sit around collecting welfare and staring at each other.

Or you could stop blaming the NDP for all your problems in life, pull up your socks, and go get a different job?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

mr.bandaid wrote:Voting party lines is certainly not unique to the NDP and to suggest so is ridiculous. By the people for the people is a myth.

That would be ridiculous. Did someone suggest that??? Did you not see "For example"??? You should re-read my post because you aren't understanding what I wrote. It was not a critique of the NDP's party discipline but party discipline in general.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Urbane wrote:There are other measures, such as relaxing party discipline, that we should try first before we change our entire voting system. For example, as Andrew Weaver pointed out some NDP MLA's wanted to support some Liberal initiatives but were ordered to vote no by Horgan. That doesn't seem right.

Don't be obtuse, you did.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

mr.bandaid wrote:

Don't be obtuse, you did.

That was an EXAMPLE. They all do it. What part of that do you not get??? Here we go: For example, some Liberals aren't that happy with every bill that their party introduces but they're obliged to support those bills. That doesn't seem right. Do I need to do that for every party now or do you get the idea?
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Well than say it like it is instead of cherry picking comments that point to your dislike of another party.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

lasnomadas wrote:@GB:
The 57% of 'yes' votes for proportional representation was stated by a member of the MSM last night. Are you calling the MSM liars? Without looking at your link, I'd say you were referring to just one of the referenda. There were two, remember?

I'm not calling the MSM liars (in this instance), I am calling you a liar. With your pants on fire. What you wrote was a blatant lie. I do remember that there were two referenda on the issue, and the last one was in 2009, not 2005 as you falsely stated. The referendum done in 2009 was the "last" referendum, not the one in 2005. In that "last" referendum, proportional representation was soundly rejected, by over 60%. The people of BC spoke, and they don't want this insanely stupid voting system. We don't need the NDP or the Greens pushing another wasteful referendum on us. They shouldn't be rewarded for bad ideas and bad policy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

JollyGreenBully wrote:
Or you could stop blaming the NDP for all your problems in life, pull up your socks, and go get a different job?

That's great advice to follow if you are someone demanding the government fix all of your personal problems, rather than looking inwards and taking personal responsibility. But I fail to see how it's relevant to this discussion. What I want is the government to stay out of the way and let BC people develop our resources, to create jobs. I also want clean green cheap power, which Site C provides.

What I really don't get is the glee which some posters here are espousing towards thousands of British Columbians potentially losing their jobs and their livelihoods. All for some horrible failed ideology. It's on par to me to those eco-lunatics who were celebrating on Twitter when Fort McMurray was ravaged by fire. These kinds of events really expose the ugliness of the so-called "Green" movement, and the evil underbelly. Wishing harm on fellow people all for your religious beliefs is just twisted and wrong in my view, no matter what religion you follow, be it the Church of Global Warming or Buddhism. I guess I just don't understand it. Why do you want your fellow man to suffer, with job losses and insanely high heating costs? What sickness makes you think like this?

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”