Are the Greens currently winning?

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Re: Are the Greens currently winning?

Post by lasnomadas »

^^ Name one advantage that you've had over the past 4 years by having Clark as your MLA.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Just one?

Millions of provincial dollars to the highway through town, improvements to Westside Rd, response to our whining about power lines, DOZENS of grants to local businesses, regular meetings between the premier and our Podunk town Mayor, extra funding for first fire prevention... All this was ignored, as it should have been since we're a nothing town, before we got her representing us.

Don't for a second think I'm supporting her. I can't stand he. But I have eyes.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:^^ Name one advantage that you've had over the past 4 years by having Clark as your MLA.

Much lower taxes than we had during the 1990's NDP reign of terror. That sure is nice.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Lol... that's funny.

What kind of "lower taxes" is that? The PST is the same as it was... with the exception that it went up (under Liberals) by half a percent for a few years in 2002ish. Carbon taxes (a good thing, imo)... 100% Liberal. PST? Doubled. Property title transfer tax? Look at the chart (http://www.rebgv.org/sites/default/file ... 0Chart.jpg) and you can see a trend since the Liberals took over (hint: it goes WAY up).

Tuition fees. Up. Gas taxes. Up.

What is down?!?!?!?

If your answer is income taxes... that's wrong too. Sure, sure... we don't have to fill out that pink form any more and we don't directly realize we're paying provincial income taxes as much as before... but that's due to Federal changes to provincial transfer payments, not because the Liberals saved the day. We pay the same (or more), we just pay it Federally and they handle it.

Corporate taxes are probably lower, at least in the industries that directly profited the various premiers. Nice for them.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

lasnomadas wrote:The only thing the Greens have won is the chance to support the NDP in their environmental policies. The BC Liberals have no environmental policies, so I doubt very much that Weaver would try to form a coalition with them.

Weaver's candidates in every riding except 3 on the Island doesn't bode well for them everywhere else in the province. He couldn't even gain a foothold in the Teflon Tart's riding in the Okanagan.

I dunno. They only had 7,000 votes in 2013 in the Okanagan. This election they 20,000 votes.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

bazinga42 wrote:Lol... that's funny.

What kind of "lower taxes" is that? .

Personal income taxes. Way lower now than during the NDP reign of terror. Look it up.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

"Look it up" is such a weak response. I provided a source to back up my statement
Where's yours? I did "look it up", and you were wrong. Or TOTAL (provincial plus Federal) personal income taxes did not go down with the provincial Liberals. Our TOTAL taxes and fees increased substantially.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Actually, in the 1990s, BC personal income taxes were calculated as a percentage of Federal tax.

In 1999, the BC portion was 49.5% of federal tax.

Today, the BC portion is, on average, about 29 - 30% of federal income tax.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

bazinga42 wrote:"Look it up" is such a weak response. .

Ok, don't look it up. I don't really care.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:The only thing the Greens have won is the chance to support the NDP in their environmental policies. The BC Liberals have no environmental policies, so I doubt very much that Weaver would try to form a coalition with them.

Weaver's candidates in every riding except 3 on the Island doesn't bode well for them everywhere else in the province. He couldn't even gain a foothold in the Teflon Tart's riding in the Okanagan.

The election is done, and yet the compunction to slur, belittle, and insult, clings firmly.

I find that sort of display toward a public official, says far more about the author, than it ever will the target.

I suppose it's just never dawned on the rank and file members, that if the NDP learned to display a bit more respect toward others, swaying minds, and gaining votes, might not be such an uphill battle.

I could easily come up with a few derogatory descriptive terms for you as well, fortunately for you the board won't allow it, and as unappealing as it is to want to stoop to your level, let me just say you make it hard. I'll just leave it to karma to repay.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on May 10th, 2017, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Hmmm...something about pot/kettle.

I have tried to be nice despite constant baiting.
By the masters!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

George+ wrote:Hmmm...something about pot/kettle.

I have tried to be nice despite constant baiting.
By the masters!

George you've been an itch on the butt of humanity for years now, so I'd be quiet if I were you.

You keep posting BS, and putting up reminders for folks to see through it, is baiting now. Oh I see. That's more like cauldron calling the pot black.

If I need some coaching on how to lie, distort the truth, engage in alternate fact generation, post fake news, or hypocritically play victim, I'll look you up pronto.

My point has complete merit, as the same group repeatedly hurls insults, and displays an alarming lack of class toward officials, and given I'm well aware of the age of some of you, it's simply mind boggling.

People in that demographic should be setting the bar high enough for subsequent generations to want to emulate, not teaching them how to be low lifes.

Even more unacceptable, is the fact that this behavior comes from several, who were in the education system.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Lol. I see I have waded into some old, sour cow patties.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

bazinga42 wrote:Lol. I see I have waded into some old, sour cow patties.

No just airing some dirty laundry for the sanctimonious sector. :biggrin:

A few just love to sling mud, but cry like little babies, when they get hit by a speck of dirt.

Oh and the Greens did awesome!
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

A few just like to sling mud, but cry like babies when they get hit by a speck of dirt. That would be Rwede, Green Barbarian, Old Techie, and a few others that aren't on here 24/7, so I've forgotten their names.

Oh, and the Greens aren't even a recognized party yet, so I don't know what Andy thinks he's winning.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”