More Flooding Imminent

Omnitheo
Guru

More Flooding Imminent

Post by Omnitheo »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#196709

The Central Okanagan Emergency Operation Centre will hold a press conference at 11 a.m. to provide information about "imminent flooding expected to start Thursday evening."

Representatives will discuss advance planning and expected water conditions.

Any details?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: More Flooding Imminent

Post by GordonH »

Hopefully all those residents who placed sandbags around there property, did not remove them. Since they may come into use again.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

And STILL, not ONE City Counselor or our "bobble-head" Mayor have ANYTHING to say about the MANY Kelowna property owners and taxpayers who are being flooded out.........with more water to come tomorrow.

What an absolute disgrace these elected "deadbeats" are in Kelowna.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

lesliepaul wrote:And STILL, not ONE City Counselor or our "bobble-head" Mayor have ANYTHING to say about the MANY Kelowna property owners and taxpayers who are being flooded out.........with more water to come tomorrow.

What an absolute disgrace these elected "deadbeats" are in Kelowna.

Mayor say something. Reaction: OMG he's using the tragedy for media attention, bring out the pitchforks!!!
Mayor doesn't say anything. Reaction: OMG he has nothing to say, this is a disgrace!!!

PS: He did say something. Feel better now?

voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

what is being done for these people when they get evacuated? when its fire season everything is organized and they are lodged in hotels. it seems like during the flooding they are just telling people to find a place to go for 72 hours and bring enough food.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

voice of reason wrote:what is being done for these people when they get evacuated? when its fire season everything is organized and they are lodged in hotels. it seems like during the flooding they are just telling people to find a place to go for 72 hours and bring enough food.

People would/should have insurance for "living out expenses". I do feel really bad for the affected people but who are you suggesting pay for the hotels, taxpayers?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

voice of reason wrote:what is being done for these people when they get evacuated? when its fire season everything is organized and they are lodged in hotels. it seems like during the flooding they are just telling people to find a place to go for 72 hours and bring enough food.

We are the helpers and organizers. All hands on deck this weekend. My family is fully prepared to spend our time, resources and energy helping our affected family and fellow neighbours however we can. I hope many more are preparing to do what they can too. The city will help too but this is going to require a massive effort to help everyone out.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I can help
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't think it's going to be that bad this time. It's more hype that substance. Yes, we will get some rain and yes, creeks will rise, but it's not going to be as bad as the last one.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Glacier wrote:I don't think it's going to be that bad this time. It's more hype that substance. Yes, we will get some rain and yes, creeks will rise, but it's not going to be as bad as the last one.

I hope you are right but am preparing for you being wrong. Last weekend was bad enough.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Glacier wrote:

I don't think it's going to be that bad this time. It's more hype that substance. Yes, we will get some rain and yes, creeks will rise, but it's not going to be as bad as the last one.

You prepared to wager a vital organ on that prediction? :biggrin:

I'm sick of water, it's not arthritic people's friend.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Glacier wrote:I don't think it's going to be that bad this time. It's more hype that substance. Yes, we will get some rain and yes, creeks will rise, but it's not going to be as bad as the last one.

I'm not sure exactly how you came to that conclusion.
The waters from last weekend have barely receded in most places, if at all.
ALL lakes are at capacity - which they were not last weekend.
With the lakes at capacity, there is now nowhere for the flow from the creeks to go...except for over their banks.
The ground is oversaturated from the coolest, wettest spring we've seen for a very long time. Any additional rain will not be soaking in, it will be running off or pooling on top.
They are calling for as much rain and perhaps even more, than last weekend.
Temperatures have risen significantly in the past week - meaning a lot more water entering the system from snow pack melt than there was last weekend.

It's not hype for crying out loud.
The conditions right now are such that any significant rainfall at all is going to tax the entire watershed beyond it's limit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

JLives wrote:

We are the helpers and organizers. All hands on deck this weekend. My family is fully prepared to spend our time, resources and energy helping our affected family and fellow neighbours however we can. I hope many more are preparing to do what they can too. The city will help too but this is going to require a massive effort to help everyone out.

Gonna get a few men together today and head to commonwealth road . If anyone else is in that area I will see u later today . Lake country is gonna get hit hard .
I went and checked on my neighborhood yesterday . I live in the rich mission . The province had a small army filling bags in my hood . I offered to help . They said they had more people than needed . Figured all was well . Then started to read about lake country and how bad it is there . Gonna try and help . Little white dodge will be loaded up and truckin sand.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's because the creeks will rise that's going to make it bad. The water has risen so much in the past week and will be rising some more. I've never seen so much water saturating the ground in some areas for years and years. We will be doing more sandbagging and keeping our fingers crossed for those that already have major troubles and have lost so much.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Flooding 2017”