Sandbagging thread.

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Sandbagging thread.

Post by Graham Adder »

LTD wrote:just saw a picture of rcmp members filling sandbags, now while I think this is great and appreciated I'm sure they could be better used elsewhere

...like finding the scum that stole my van and all my tools.
...or finding the losers that tried unsuccessfully to "beast me to death" with a tire iron in the WalMart parking lot.
...or finding the POS that I reported for illegal dumping.

Nah...
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

It was great to see the folks on Commonwealth working together toward a common cause. Community: something that goes missing as income increases it seems.
Wanna see the most resilient, honest, hard working and positive people this city has to offer? Head as far away from the money as you can. There, you will find real people, with real open hearts, helping each other with smiles and jokes and laughter. They support each other and offer to each other what they have. Not what they choose to share. What they have.

Commonwealth road is the example of community that I've seen shine through this event. Kudos to those people manning the bagging stations and working together.

It was also great to see that when the light of day left, there were dozens of sand bags sitting at the pile, ready to go where needed, when needed. They were prepared, and it was obvious. Great job.

Almost makes me wanna move back to a trailer park. Seems to me I had a lot less theft issues, scum-bag lurker issues, graffiti issues, and a whole lot more good people looking out for me when I wasn't home.

Now that I've moved back into the mix, I feel NO sense of community, and am vulnerable to crime like never before.

I miss my prying nosey neighbors. They always had my back.

RIP Paul.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Anyone know who I should ask about grabbing a half dozen bags of sand after they are no longer needed for the Great Sugarplum Flood of 17?
I'd really like to use some of this bagged sand for a few things.
1.) I could use four to anchor a canopy tent I have.
2.) I have a need for about 1/4 yard of sand to fill an area I want to pea gravel.
3.) I could use about four to six stowed away for winter weight in my work vehicle.
4.) If I can save from buying sand, and help to dispose of "leftovers" I'm all for saving a buck and lending a hand.

I know some will say, "Just take them", but that's not my style.
Me and Karma have an agreement, and I intend to keep my end of the deal.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'll take a bunch too.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Whats the deal with those waterbag tubes as a sandbag alternative. If they are just filled with water, won't they just become buoyant when the water rises and float away?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That is a weighty thing to ponder grasshopper.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

They are filled with water.
Water is heavy as ...heck.
It takes something lighter than water, to make something float on water.
The tubes are actually two bladders running parallel. that way, one counterweights the other to keep them from rolling. It would take one rolling right over the top of the other, to make them move.
Think physics, then think aqua-dynamics.
These are a fantastic shape forming alternative to sand bags, that are only vulnerable to puncture.
They are made with a VERY high quality puncture resistant material.
So long as the height of the tubes is higher than the height of the water, they will work like maple syrup on french toast. Perfectly.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

tsayta wrote:Whats the deal with those waterbag tubes as a sandbag alternative. If they are just filled with water, won't they just become buoyant when the water rises and float away?

If they weren't so cumbersome I'm sure a lot more people would be interested in getting them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

What's the latest on wave action down there? Fairly windy up here
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

We personally are ok with the wind direction right now and hope the winds die down. Others could be easily affected. Have had my scare of the decade so don't wish it on anyone else. Love weather - don't like what it can do.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Is anyone bagging today
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Went down to the Beach with the dog today for a look see. They have one of those long squared box like walls filled with sand.
It seems to be useless as the water is the same level on both sides of it.

So other than maybe some protection from eroding the beach it doesn't help flooding.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

We went to town today and looked at a few of the creeks up here...man, they are flowing fast.

Winds are picking up, up here as well.

Wish we could get some sand bags to help with our creek but sadly it's getting beyond the point now.

We're just trying to keep the large debris from floating down stream and crossing our fingers, eyes and toes

that we don't loose more property.

"Hey! Mother Nature, it's good ol' Barney Google here...can ya cut us just a little bit of slack and cool things

down a bit so we can stay ahead of the flowing and rising waters
?" :up:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Do u need help barney
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Barney Google wrote:Wish we could get some sand bags to help with our creek but sadly it's getting beyond the point now.

Need help?
Location?

Return to “Flooding 2017”