NDP lose at least two ridings due to racism and sexism

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Re: NDP lose at least two ridings due to racism and sexism

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Why do my comments need explaining? Now that gender is much more understood, it's necessary to have practices in place to make sure there's some level of equality among men, women, and people somewhere else on the spectrum. Call it loving hatred if you want, I really don't care.

As for this guy apparently not being allowed to run, I'd like to see more evidence. Are we actually sure he was qualified? Are we sure he was the best person for the job? Are we sure he wasn't allowed to run because of discrimination? Or are we just taking his word for it because people love to blame "PC culture" for everything?

I could go apply for a job and claim I wasn't hired due to discriminatory hiring practices. Doesn't make it true.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Ohhhhh, this is a slippery slope. Calling the discrimination card is pretty easy. I would have to know more about this before I would comment further (provided I was the least bit interested).
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

mr.bandaid wrote:Ohhhhh, this is a slippery slope. Calling the discrimination card is pretty easy. I would have to know more about this before I would comment further (provided I was the least bit interested).

Hm.

Well, a policy that specifically excludes straight white males seems pretty discriminatory to me.

I suppose others may feel a policy based specifically and entirely on gender, race and sexual orientation is not discriminatory at all, but to me it simply seems both discriminatory, and morally wrong.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

More proof that the NDP lost the Cowichan riding solely due to their horribly sexist and racist policy:

VICTORIA — A bitter and bizarre race among New Democrats vying for the party’s candidacy in the Cowichan Valley could leave the B.C. NDP at risk of losing its grip on what has been an Island stronghold.

NDP members will pick the candidate to replace outgoing MLA Bill Routley on Sunday. For the past several elections, winning the NDP nomination was like winning the election, because of the party’s base of support in that region of Vancouver Island.

But this time the NDP is limping into its candidate meeting with self-inflicted wounds, infighting and resignations.

“Democracy is messy,” said Lori Iannidinardo, a local regional director who is one of three vying for the nomination. “Not usually quite this messy, but it is messy. And we all know that. And what we need to do is do better.”

The NDP’s opponents, meanwhile, are circling. The B.C. Greens have recruited high-profile local politician Sonia Furstenau, who led the fight against pollution near Shawinigan Lake. The B.C. Liberals are re-running Steve Housser, who placed a surprisingly strong second in 2013.

SNIP

The situation worsened Thursday, when riding association president Ian Morrison abruptly quit.

Morrison was furious that the NDP’s gender equity policy — which has proven hugely contentious — barred him from running because he’s a man. The policy says that in ridings where an incumbent male MLA retires, the replacement must be a woman or member of an “equity-seeking” minority group.

“In order to remove barriers for what they call the equity-seeking groups, they’ve raised barriers against heterosexual white males … and that’s the dictionary definition of discrimination,” said Morrison.

Morrison, who was Bill Routley’s campaign manager in 2013, blamed NDP headquarters for its “elitist” rules. He’s now running as an independent.

“It’s certainly not my intention to burn down the NDP, even though some people seem to think that,” he said.

The equity policy has proven divisive among NDP members. Some see it as a necessary way to increase diversity among candidates, while others view it as the party unnecessarily hamstringing itself from selecting the candidate most likely to actually win office.

The policy most recently flared up in Columbia River-Revelstoke, where Invermere Mayor Gerry Taft declared minority status to defeat a woman in a wheelchair for the riding’s nomination. He refused to explain his minority status even to local NDP members, but eventually disclosed he was bisexual amid complaints he was undermining the spirit of the equity mandate.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... -on-riding
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

JollyGreenBully wrote:Why do my comments need explaining?

Because they make no sense.

Now that gender is much more understood, it's necessary to have practices in place to make sure there's some level of equality among men, women, and people somewhere else on the spectrum. Call it loving hatred if you want, I really don't care.

Hey at least you are willing to come out and say why you think these policies should be in place, despite them being horribly sexist and racist, both against those who are discriminated against because they aren't even allowed to run, and against those who this horrible policy is supposed to "help", by saying that they need this policy in place because they would lose otherwise. Why would they lose otherwise? What are you trying to say? That they aren't as good as those who aren't allowed to run? That's pure sexism.

As for this guy apparently not being allowed to run, I'd like to see more evidence.

Read the article I just posted. Here's the link again:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... -on-riding

Are we actually sure he was qualified? Are we sure he was the best person for the job?

That's not the point. Anyone can run if they want, that's supposed to be freedom in a democracy. At least, everyone should be allowed to run, who wants to run, regardless of skin colour or genitalia. The point was that the NDP riding voters should have been the ones to decide if he was qualified and the best for the job, like riding associations do all across the country, and they were denied that right by a disgusting racist and sexist policy.

Are we sure he wasn't allowed to run because of discrimination?

Yes

Or are we just taking his word for it because people love to blame "PC culture" for everything?

I don't know if people like to blame PC Culture for everything, despite it being disgusting and stupid, but we don't have to take his word for it. The NDP's horrible sexist and racist policy is fully disclosed and documented. The NDP can definitely blame "PC Culture" in this case for costing them this election.

I could go apply for a job and claim I wasn't hired due to discriminatory hiring practices. Doesn't make it true.

And if the company you were applying at had a disgusting racist and sexist policy like the NDP has, you should claim discriminatory hiring practices. The NDP is just plain awful.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

GB, I just noticed your new signature.

Now, seeing as I can do the calculation in my head and know exactly what your driving at, I'm think more a soft science approach might suffice.

Since acceptable answers come in all forms:

3) "The Liberal Party members and MLAs can no longer afford to be smug, self-satisfied arrogant pricks. They have to try a little bit harder."

I'll bet there's a number four in there: Ah there is,

4) "A barely there majority is a weak majority, susceptible to the unknowns in life."

Ummm, I'll bet there's a soft science answer that I haven't thought of yet.

But seriously, there's a whole cast of posters here who may help out. Could this be the new game?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Queen K wrote:GB, I just noticed your new signature.

Now, seeing as I can do the calculation in my head and know exactly what your driving at, I'm think more a soft science approach might suffice.

3) "The Liberal Party members and MLAs can no longer afford to be smug, self-satisfied arrogant pricks. They have to try a little bit harder."

4) "A barely there majority is a weak majority, susceptible to the unknowns in life."

But seriously, there's a whole cast of posters here who may help out. Could this be the new game?

(5) As we got 40 seats this time, our best showing in 16 years, we NDP can no longer afford to lazy, stupid morons. We may even have to come up with some policies that the general public can support, and not just lunatics and people who can't do math. We will have to try a litte bit harder.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Queen K wrote:GB, I just noticed your new signature.

(5) As we got 40 seats this time, our best showing in 16 years, we NDP can no longer afford to lazy, stupid morons. We may even have to come up with some policies that the general public can support, and not just lunatics and people who can't do math. We will have to try a litte bit harder.

(6) We, the Liberal Party, will no longer be complacent about the viability of new parties in BC to rise up and hold balances of power. (Distributes "Who Moved My Cheese" to all MLAs and offers whine with having to read it.)

Anyone can join this new fun game, I have to go take flooding pix right now. Don't let GB be bored now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

anyone heard of any other ridings that the NDP cost themselves due to their inherent racism and sexism?

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”