More Flooding Imminent

voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: More Flooding Imminent

Post by voice of reason »

vegas1500 wrote:
voice of reason wrote:what is being done for these people when they get evacuated? when its fire season everything is organized and they are lodged in hotels. it seems like during the flooding they are just telling people to find a place to go for 72 hours and bring enough food.

People would/should have insurance for "living out expenses". I do feel really bad for the affected people but who are you suggesting pay for the hotels, taxpayers?

there is endless money to help junkies and other non tax paying citizens in this city/province.the people effected by these floods are the actual people who contribute to society,the taxpayers and home owners themselves.i dont see a problem using tax dollars to actually help tax payers in a time of actual need.if you do not want to go that route this city is full of community halls churches and elks style halls.they could put some cots and mats out and the evacuees could at least have some where to go for the suggested 72 hours
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Pouring rain this isn't good
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Authorities prepared for the worst and hoped for the best. And, so far, the Central Okanagan appears to have been spared from an anticipated major flooding event overnight.

Showers that moved through the area Thursday night so far haven’t contributed to any reports of additional flooding, the Emergency Operations Centre reports.

However, the potential still exists for rising water levels across the region, as ongoing showers and possible thundershowers combine with melting snow at higher elevations to boost creek flows and lake levels.

Residents in low-lying areas and near creeks and lakes are urged to continue efforts to protect their property from potential damage. Do not remove any sandbags or other protective measures until advised the flood threat is over.

Throughout the night, emergency and public works crews monitored areas that have been affected by flooding, and will continue today.

Lake levels are expected to continue rising in the coming weeks.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#196862
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:
Before continuing with this whole..there's no big flood risk stuff...like I suggested - get out and tell that to all of the people losing their homes and possessions right now.
10-15 mm of rain is a LOT of rain when there is NO WHERE FOR IT TO GO.

Pure fearmongering. Don't you know that British Columbia is 90% rocky soil? Good luck saturating that! 10 mm is nothing compared to the 40mm in the coast yesterday. The ground absorbed it down there because the ground is never fully saturated. The risk of flooding is not over, but according to yesterday's forecast, it was just crying wolf over last night and today.

If the forecast changes, with higher temperatures (like 30C), then yes, I will join you in raising alarm bells over more flooding. Just in case forecasting is a euphemism for crying wolf.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The key word here is "potential". Certainly not fearmongering when filling sandbags and walking around in cold water and seeing more rain come. Fields under water, buildings surrounded and lake level rising. Creeks are still running fast. Being prepared is smart - dissing the weather forecast is foolish.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

We were under a flood watch here too. It looks to me like the storms tricked the weather guys and went to the east of here. We did get some heavy rains, but nothing like they were predicting. Yet. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I'm leaving the stress and drama behind, and following Glacier's Weather Forecast from here on.
Seems to me there is a whole lot more truth and reason in what Glacier has posted regarding the weather possibilities than our supposed reliable sources.
If I were to follow the lead of others in this thread, I'd have a sore back today from bagging sand, and I'd be left feeling like a pawn in some mayoral joke.

Thank you Glacier, for supporting a level of truth and integrity.
We need more people of sound mind to post something tangible when the bleating gets too loud.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm paying attention to water levels and glad we did sandbag - certainly not going to follow someone else's forecast. If it rains more and the water level rises, we may need to do some more sandbags but that's on hold for the moment.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I think being proactive is great.
I don't think fear mongering, dramatizing or creating chaos while wearing a mayor's cloak is great.
I don't think cutting down people for stating educated information is great.
I think having sources of information that are honest, just and of value is great.
I don't think propagating the fear model and speaking down to others who don't ride that carpet is great.

To those that are proactive and prepared: good onya.
To those who propagate fear and defend their position through offense: you have a burning bag on your doorstep. Go stomp it out.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think too much is being made of the Kelowna mayor - there are other cities in the Okanagan affected by the water.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Fancy wrote:I think too much is being made of the Kelowna mayor - there are other cities in the Okanagan affected by the water.

But, is their mayor on Castanet or social media putting fear into their community?
THAT is the difference.
THAT is why "too much" is being made of the Kelowna mayor.

There certainly are other communities in the Okanagan that are affected by flooding. It's all across the country, really.
I spent a bit of time looking into what other mayors of other towns and cities across the country are doing on social media and news media sites. I don't see a lot of them promoting mass panic.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I saw it as promoting mass preparation. Would you rather he said nothing? This weekend could have just as easily turned out horrible as it did good. It's not over yet though.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

JLives wrote:I saw it as promoting mass preparation. Would you rather he said nothing? This weekend could have just as easily turned out horrible as it did good. It's not over yet though.

He could have EASILY promoted being prepared, and acting communally without the fear factor.
I'd have to say yes, though that I'd rather he said nothing. Ever.

It didn't have the right set of circumstances to escalate into a 200 year blah-dee-blah.
It couldn't have turned horrible just as easy. As Glacier stated, we didn't have any of the right stuff going on, nor was the weather forecast stating so.

I saw the video released by Colin soon after it was posted. I showed it to my partner, stating that Colin just put his tiny foot in his gaping mouth. I am not a meteorologist by any stretch, but I did have my senses. When I read posts from Glacier that spoke to my hunches, it made sense to me immediately. I now see that the hype really was "fake news".

Back to the question of, why?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

'One-in-200-year' flood event possible for B.C.'s Interior

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/ ... pect/82181
Kelowna may be hit in the next 24 hours by a one-in-200 year flood, emergency centre officials are warning.

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/kelo ... ear-flood/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Basran said it was crucial to be proactive rather than reactive. He said he was pleased with how the community came together to help one another.

Flood advisories from B.C.’s River Forecast Centre remained in place Friday for the Interior and evacuation orders for most affected residences were continued by the Central Okanagan Emergency Operation.

“The Central Okanagan is not out of the woods yet and the message to ‘stay prepared’ remains as important as ever,” the emergency centre said in a news release Friday afternoon.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... -in-effect

Return to “Flooding 2017”