More Flooding Imminent

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: More Flooding Imminent

Post by Queen K »

Private page, a friend of Mr. QKs. Once I get my own photos edited in LR I will PM you.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So it rained all night and into this morning, I'm thinking more flooding is imminent.

Anyone got news?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
notme

Post by notme »

From wateroffice.gc.ca, looks like mission creek outflow hasn't changed much since yesterday, OK lake still rising, snowpack at 147% of normal and rising. Hot and sunny by the weekend. Soooo no crystal ball here but maybe we aren't out of the woods yet?

Snowpack stats at

http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/bulletins/wa ... urrent.htm
Last edited by notme on May 16th, 2017, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

mission creek will flood no question about it the hospital and cancer clinic are making plans for relocating patients and services when the lake breaches its gonna get ugly soon
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The experts and politicians felt like they were sleeping at the switch, so suffering from forecasting guilt, they predicted an even bigger flood event over the weekend.

This was nuts because the forecast called for cooler temperatures, which would prevent the snow from melting. Of course, the media (never shy to predict the next apocalypse) erroneously claimed that rising temperatures would cause a 1 in 200 year flood event.

And surprise, surprise, it didn't happen. And the only excuse they can come up with is that the forecast rains didn't occur. Yes it did (we had 17 mm, which is between the 10 to 20 mm were forecast).

And now I'm just reading several headlines about how "the worse is over" and "we can now breathe a sigh of relief." Hmm, I think the experts have moved from forecasting guilt to crying wolf guilt, and now they are being overly conservative with the forecast.

We have another 10 to 20 mm of rain forecast, and instead of calling it a major rain storm in the forecast like they did last week, they are saying, "there's little rain the forecast."

Okayyyy, so according to all the experts out there like the mayor of Kelowna, 10 to 20 mm of rain last week was enough to potentially cause a 1 in 200 year flood, but 10 to 20 mm this week with rising temperatures won't cause any problems?

Rising temperatures could mean the worst is yet to come. No reason to built an ark, but I think we will reach new heights for the year this time next week.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And Okanagan Lake is still rising. It is very serious as one decent storm will do thousands of dollars of damage.
Okanagan Lake has risen more than three centimetres since Tuesday morning.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197272
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

Article from Kelowna Courier, 1949
Article from Kelowna Courier, 1949

With warm temperatures finally coming, the topic of flooding will certainly get lots of big attention shortly. A number of issues have been ignored by the media, including what government policies have contributed to the flooding issues. For example, an article http://*bleep*.ca/newsitem/what-does-this-years-flooding-mean-for-some-farmers-no-income/it42627 mentions how sediment removal has stopped in the Armstrong area and has contributed to flooding issues there.

In Kelowna, a 2014 report done for the the Province made a number of recommendations, including removing gravel downstream of the KLO bridge on Mission Creek. This would have dropped water levels up to 0.5m. http://www.missioncreek.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Lower-Mission-Creek-Report.pdf Would this potentially have helped Mission Creek carry more water from Mill Creek and help to reduce the flood risk in the downtown area?

Take a look at the article from above from 1949. After the big floods of 1948, everyone was quick to deal with potential flooding BEFORE the risk of flooding was imminent. Could we learn a few things?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Interesting about flooding in Kelowna, I was checking out the lake levels. Of the top 4 of all time, 2 were in the 1940s (2.829m above low water line in 1948 & 2.536m in 1942) and 2 were in the 1990s (2.633m in 1990 & 2.604m in 1997). Next comes 2017, which has just eclipsed 1972 for 5th spot!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Okanagan Lake rose another two centimetres since Wednesday.

The Central Okanagan Emergency Operations Centre says flood conditions are expected to last well into June.

Crews continue to install bladder dams in Kelowna at Kinsmen Park, Sutherland Park and Tugboat Bay, as well as sandbag walls at the Manhattan Drive beach access and Watt Road.

The city asks the public to stay back from protective flood measures.

The location of the flood barriers is based on waterfront properties most prone to flooding from rising lake levels. Some of the prime considerations include protecting public infrastructure and foreshore areas that protect upland properties.

Residents in low-lying and waterfront areas are encouraged to use sandbags or other measures to protect their property.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197374
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Glacier wrote:Interesting about flooding in Kelowna, I was checking out the lake levels. Of the top 4 of all time, 2 were in the 1940s (2.829m above low water line in 1948 & 2.536m in 1942) and 2 were in the 1990s (2.633m in 1990 & 2.604m in 1997). Next comes 2017, which has just eclipsed 1972 for 5th spot!

I wonder how accurate the measurements are?

It just strikes me odd that today I read the SS Sicamous is floating, but I heard no such report in 1990, yet the 90's figures are only surpassed by 1948. I would have thought we'd be higher than the 90's already?

Then again the story says it's the first time it's floated in about 30 years so that would take it back to the 90's, but if the water was higher then, I don't see why they are worried about lengthening shore connections?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I wondered about how much sand and silt mission Creek is adding to the lake during this high water period. This is my uneducated estimation:

-82 cubic meters/second current flow rate

-let's guess 0.082 cubic meters of sediment suspended in each cubic meter of water. (picture a shovel full of sand per cubic meter)

-86,400 seconds in a day

-that's 7,084 cubic meters of sediment added to Lake daily

-in 30 days that's 21,000 dump truck loads of sediment!

Isn't that something like 3x the size of the earth fill portion of the site c dam?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Old Techie wrote:I wonder how accurate the measurements are?

It just strikes me odd that today I read the SS Sicamous is floating, but I heard no such report in 1990, yet the 90's figures are only surpassed by 1948. I would have thought we'd be higher than the 90's already?

Then again the story says it's the first time it's floated in about 30 years so that would take it back to the 90's, but if the water was higher then, I don't see why they are worried about lengthening shore connections?

If you take out the 1940s and the 1990s, this is the highest the lake has ever been. It was never this high in the 1980s, or the 1970s, or the 1960s, or the 1950s... or the 2000s.
- Douglas Murray
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Glacier wrote:
Old Techie wrote:I wonder how accurate the measurements are?

If you take out the 1940s and the 1990s, this is the highest the lake has ever been. It was never this high in the 1980s, or the 1970s, or the 1960s, or the 1950s... or the 2000s.

Lol drive down to penticton see the bluffs . That's old beach
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jflem1983 wrote:Lol drive down to penticton see the bluffs . That's old beach

Check out the flood of 1894. Skaha and Okanagan Lake would have been the same lake that year. 38C/100F by mid-May after a cold, wet spring. Nothing has ever been seen since that comes close to day. It was well over a 1 in 200 year flood. Maybe 1 in 500 year flood.
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Looking at the now functioning mission Creek flood gauge, you can see how much the water came up over night from yesterdays heat. Extrapolate that to 3 days worth and water levels may reach where we were 2 weeks ago at the peak. Oh oh
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Flooding 2017”