A plea to boaters...

KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

A plea to boaters...

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

I guess living on the waterfront isn't what it is all cracked up to be! nonetheless, there is only so much you can do when it comes to mother nature, eventually she'll win..until then I will continue enjoying my boat and you continue enjoying your waterfront property.
rookie314
Übergod

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by rookie314 »

Especially when you add stupid people into the mix.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

Kelownanians will find any excuse to suck the fun out of activities.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:Kelownanians will find any excuse to suck the fun out of activities.

Boy have you missed the whole point never mind thumbing your nose at those that have spent time and effort sandbagging their places up and down the valley. There will always be people who just don't care about the environment they are in - whether it's flooding season or fire season. Here's the article:
A concerned resident living along Okanagan Lake is bracing for more flooding this weekend, but it won’t be because of the weather.

In the past few days, a handful of boats have been passing by their properties causing disastrous harm to their land.

“We are inches from flooding and it is almost like people are enjoying themselves watching the consequences,” he said. “The lake is still going up.”

Heading into the long weekend when many boaters are eager to jump on the water, homeowners are concerned about wake inching closer to their homes.

Okanagan Lake is now 17 centimetres above full pool.

“A guy went really slow and the consequences of him going by were disastrous to us, then another guy going 10 km per hour, was 15 times worse,” he said. “It is just so bad.”

Castanet contacted police to see if this is something that will be patrolled over the weekend.

Central Okangan Emergency Operations said boaters are reminded that lake levels are high and emergency officials are considering plans for the possible deployment of portable bladder dams to act as protective flood barriers.

“Boaters should also keep their distance from shorelines and if possible keep speeds down as additional wave action could cause disturbance to banks and beaches,” said COEO in a statement.

The residents said they are sending out a plea to ask boaters to consider their properties and not create a wake.

“We’ve got bags and berms up and they were doing great until the boaters went by,” he said. “They just really need to have no wake.”

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197122
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:I guess living on the waterfront isn't what it is all cracked up to be! nonetheless, there is only so much you can do when it comes to mother nature, eventually she'll win..until then I will continue enjoying my boat and you continue enjoying your waterfront property.

Seems a pretty selfish attitude don't you think?

Your fun is worth more than their property hey? This is the attitude that has many people hating on Kelowna. Thankfully you're in the minority.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

What do you expect from the "crackincrew"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

getting an error on the link
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Boaters can be held responsible for damage done to property from their wake.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Im sure the cops will be out watching for the challenged folks on their boats
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Crazy risky time to be boating now, going to be dodging debris, all day long.... That may be a good thing.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There is no reason why boaters need to cruise along shore causing wakes that will further damage property and there are laws dictating speed and distance which boaters should know. There are places were there are no wake zones for a reason.
Another place that has asked for no wake:
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/4222030 ... obile=true

http://boating.ncf.ca/speed.html

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Crazy risky time to be boating now, going to be dodging debris, all day long.... That may be a good thing.

Lots of debris up and down the lake, lots washed up on shore. People want to go out and boat that's great, but be responsible and take it easy and think of all the property up and down the lake that has already been damaged - don't make it worse.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The lake is going to be insane this year, as if it wasn't before. Brace yourselves if the weather ever gets nice.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The Lakeshore looks like this today and hitting this stuff in open water going at a high speed can do a lot of damage.

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

wow, ignorance abounds.

development destroys the environment in and around the lake, and then the people responsible for that destructive development have the audacity to whine because someone chooses to boat on the lake :)
too funny.

the lakeshore is no place for a home, unless you are a duck, otter, beaver, etc.

the boats do plenty of harm to waterfowl nesting sites and other lake denizens' turf.

if you are going to seek public support, try not being a destroyer of life and habitat first.

greedy, uncaring, self entitled garbage.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Flooding 2017”