If the NDP win

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: If the NDP win

Post by neilsimon »

Old Techie wrote:Naturally you'd look at it that way. Big surprise.

Oddly though if it happened to be the Liberals and Greens working together, I'm sure we'd be reading a completely different take.

No, actually if you look to my post history, I did point out a good reason for the Greens to form a coalition with the BC Liberals. That would mean a stronger majority and one which is also representative of the vote of the majority of voters. In addition, the Greens would have a lot of leverage to push through policies which are common between them and the NDP, since the BC Liberals would be aware that all the Greens need to do is shift alliances, and they would get those policies through. It wouldn't be a terrible solution.

The primary reason to not have the Greens join with the BC Liberals is because they will probably struggle to find common ground generally and their supporters will completely abandon them in the next election for not doing what they the supporters would have wanted.

In the end, my primary want from this government, since I trust them all about equally with the economy and general stability, is electoral reform. This is something I know that the Greens feel very strongly about and the NDP support too. The Greens will almost certainly insist on in from whichever partner they pick, so I suspect I'll get something I want, and it is something on the platforms of parties voted for by ~56% of the voters.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

I did not say it, Alfred.

Proportional Representation is much more democratic.
And practiced in many countries.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

George+ wrote:I did not say it, Alfred.

How is it "more democratic "?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
George+ wrote:I did not say it, Alfred.

How is it "more democratic "?

Let me google that for you:
http://blog.stevenkellow.com/is-pr-more-democratic-than-fptp/
https://www.accuratedemocracy.com/d_intro.htm
https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/sophie-cartwright/proportional-representation-can-offer-democracy-to-all-not-just-to-majority

Now, can you find evidence or a serious article which supports first past the post as more democratic?
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I'm tired of all the talk of more vs less "democratic" forms of voting. What is undemocratic about one person, one vote, one local representative per riding? The big advantage of fptp is that it's simple. Few enough people can be *bleep* to get out and vote, an alternative voting system that makes it more convoluted is only going to discourage those who are inclined not to bother even more. I simply do not feel the current system is broken, or at least it's not broken in a way that changing how we vote will fix.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

If the ndp win I expect it to be 4 really tough years for the province . Look at the mess in Alberta
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 25th, 2017, 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: baiting
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Didn't we just listen to six months of Christy bragging about how strong BC's economy and job creation was doing ?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197804
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Jflem1983 wrote:If the ndp win I expect it to be 4 really tough years for the province . Look at the mess in Alberta

You mean the mess where all the right-wingers harumph and pretend that their economy wasn't already in the toilet on account of the price of oil before they elected the NDP so they can blame Premier Notley for all their ills?
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Catri wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:If the ndp win I expect it to be 4 really tough years for the province . Look at the mess in Alberta

You mean the mess where all the right-wingers harumph and pretend that their economy wasn't already in the toilet on account of the price of oil before they elected the NDP so they can blame Premier Notley for all their ills?

Well that's all they got. It has to be the evil NDP who has mismanaged alberta over the last 40 years. Right wing hypocrisy at it's finest.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 25th, 2017, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

*removed*
Reason: response to removed post
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*I'm getting the Queue ready. Who wants to be first one on it? Stay on topic.*
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I'll be on topic then.

The NDP didn't win. However, they don't care and hope to bribe the greens so they can win.

This is seen as totally fine by NDP supporters however if the Liberals bribe them it will be "corruption"

I would rather see the NDP try to actually bargain a middle ground for the bulk of the BC voters than try to take power with bribes for a minority of the voters just to get their way.......but then again who ever thought the NDP were any less corrupt than the Liberals......

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”