More Flooding Imminent

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: More Flooding Imminent

Post by tsayta »

danmartin wrote:So letting more water out and flooding everything downstream from Okanagan Lake would be the answer to OUR problems? We are letting out the maximum amount that is allowed and likely more.

I think the gates are likely fully open. What's inhibiting water flow is channel depth.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:I think the gates are likely fully open. What's inhibiting water flow is channel depth.

The gates are NOT fully open! They will only be fully open if the lake hits flood stage. Same goes for Kal Lake. the lake is rising, and they are throttling back the outflow.
OkanaganRiver.png
Last edited by Glacier on May 25th, 2017, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Glacier for Mayor

just sayin'
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Graham Adder wrote:Glacier for Mayor

just sayin'

Who is actually in charge of water levels . I imagine it rests with the Americans.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Jflem1983 wrote:Who is actually in charge of water levels . I imagine it rests with the Americans.

The USA would like to think they have that much power and control, but they are wrong.

Mother Nature is actually in charge of water levels, and the sooner we start to pay attention to that, the sooner we'll start getting along with Her.

This little tweak here, little tweak there ego-driven-stupidity serves only to keep our feet wet and our fibreglass pink soggy with poowater.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

As far as I know the only dam is at Zosel Saw Mill in Oroville and they won't be closing that because it is to the south of town and that would cause Oroville to get a much needed bath. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

So has Okanagan Lake matched 1948 yet?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I don't think so. Last word was 2cm to 343. Needs another 15 or so to get there. Creek inputs are way down now
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Mr. QK asked that exact question just seconds ago.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

CORD just issued an emergency alert to prepare for water levels 2 feet higher than we are right now? That doesn't sound right
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Two feet? Nope, does not.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Queen K wrote:Two feet? Nope, does not.

Nvm. I read it wrong. Ima dork...

"Property owners are still encouraged to protect their structures and properties to the recommended level of 343.6 metres.  That 60 additional centimeter buffer allows for potential wave action, weather related conditions and any additional levels that may fluctuate around the 343 metre mark that was initially predicted for Okanagan Lake"
WW
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

tsayta wrote:I don't think so. Last word was 2cm to 343. Needs another 15 or so to get there. Creek inputs are way down now

I read that this morning so it's been going up all day since then, and Mill Creek is apparently overflowing and putting more into the lake.

I assume it should be above 343 by now, and that's where they said last week that it would peak.

30°C in the forecast with 90% of the higher elevation snow to melt yet, so I think they will be adjusting that figure.

Possibility of rain too, so let's hope that doesn't materialize.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

I'm no expert but I'm beginning to think we've close to peaked. That snow pillow data is at a very high elevation. The truth is there is not that much 'square kilometrage' of area with that much pack. As Glacier noted earlier, most of the mid pack snow is gone. That means the bulk of the water. Snow pack is logarithmic up (higher you go the deeper the snow), and logarithmic down (lower you go, the more area there is). Fact of the matter is there just isn't as much land mass at those higher elevs
WW
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I don't know about peaked, but as I suspected it has passed the mark they predicted.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197939

Considering the rate at which it's rising, and that the temps will increase flow in Mission Creek, I suspect they just may see a new record set for the lake.

Return to “Flooding 2017”