Do away with the METRIC for this Urgent period

cfriedemann

Do away with the METRIC for this Urgent period

Post by cfriedemann »

Yes, it is easier to calculate with. But IS it RELEVANT?

Really, when was the last time you hauled a Jerry can of 1 Liter of gas around? NEVER. People know what a 5 gallon Jerry can is because there were so many...so we still know GALLONS. We also know what a Quart is(which is still larger than a Liter but the closest thing to it, but we bought GAS and Paint (and vinegar, bleach, wine & more) by the "IMPERIAL GALLON".

So, if you want to impress us with numbers, measure in GALLONS (NOT QUARTS). This what we are familiar with(not many people KNOW what an OLYMPIC SIZED SWIMMING POOL IS so that measure has NO MEANING as well.

You are still sticking with imperial measure(though you will hotly deny it) yet you consistently use 2.5 centimeters as a common measure. TELL THE PEOPLE "THAT IS AN INCH" and most people that own homes(the adults) know what that is. By spreading their thumb and pointer finger apart they know about what an inch is by eyeballing it.

Meaning they also know what a FOOT is more than they know that 30 cm= 1 foot.

Many rulers , yardsticks, and tape measures are STILL in inches. Many are marked 50/50. Very few are pure metric. Many "carpenters and house builders use inch tape measures OVER metric, same can be the same for the plumbers and the electricians.

This is an "URGENT TIME RIGHT NOW". So QUIT with metric already. I know my car holds 10 gallons of gas. People know that because that is what they deal with every couple of days. I also know that a burner barrel holds 45 Imp Gal of oil because there is tons of them floating around as they are still in use.

Otherwise start Reporting in French. Very few will understand.
What_the
Übergod

Re: Do away with the METRIC for this Urgent period

Post by What_the »

I disagree.
I have know idea how much a quart is, but I can visualize a litre and four litres.

Blame the Americans for refusing to adopt the metric system, while the rest of the world uses metric.

I only use distance imperial for wood work and building since all lumber is milled by the lineal foot...for Americans
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

What_the wrote:I disagree.
I have know idea how much a quart is, but I can visualize a litre and four litres.

Blame the Americans for refusing to adopt the metric system, while the rest of the world uses metric.

I only use distance imperial for wood work and building since all lumber is milled by the lineal foot...for Americans

Blame whomever you like, I bet you discuss your height and weight in feet, inches and pounds. In 37 years, I've yet to hear anyone in this country tell me they're 180cm tall. I'm PARTLY with our crotchety neighbour up top there. An inch is an inch.
Although, I don't think it's the catastrophe he's making it out to be. Perhaps he ought to learn both systems and take an anti anxiety pill until this all drains off.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have no (not know) idea how many gallons of fuel my car holds. It holds $60+ when almost empty.

I know that 2.5 cms is an inch and am quite capable of converting in my head when necessary because I learned math in school.

It's interesting though that most stores show the cost of meat and produce in both types of measurement.

When Canada moved to the Metric system it bothered me that all business's had to change their weighing systems over but the Post Office refused. (for awhile) Many other Gov't offices did not convert their (postal) scales either.

Anyway it only will bother some of us ol farts and not those brought up in the metric system.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I was just coming back to amend, thinking about this, to say my height and weight also. So ingrained at this point after 40 odd years.

And yes suds, I do know the difference, no need to poke me in the eye with a stick ;)
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It is not that difficult to know more than one system of measure. After a while of using conversions, a person should really be able to deal with it all. Unfortunately, when there is non-standardization, there is more room for human error.

Human error like what happened with the Gimli Glider. Lbs, Kilos... it matters.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Imperial Gallons or US Gallons?

That one always ticks me off :cuss:
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Only 3 countries do not use the Metric system they are Burma, Liberia, and the US
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

LeadingEdgeGlass wrote:Imperial Gallons or US Gallons?

Exactly, isn't any more simple, there'll be always conversion until we all fully adopt metric
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

What_the wrote:Exactly, isn't any more simple, there'll be always conversion until we all fully adopt metric

Knowing that vast majority of cellphone users have smartphones, should be a bunch of free conversion apps.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I'm still trying to figure out what this "urgent time" is.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

GordonH wrote:

What_the wrote:Exactly, isn't any more simple, there'll be always conversion until we all fully adopt metric

Knowing that vast majority of cellphone users have smartphones, should be a bunch of free conversion apps.

Indeed.
I have two.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

cfriedemann wrote:Yes, it is easier to calculate with. But IS it RELEVANT?

Really, when was the last time you hauled a Jerry can of 1 Liter of gas around? NEVER. People know what a 5 gallon Jerry can is because there were so many...so we still know GALLONS. We also know what a Quart is(which is still larger than a Liter but the closest thing to it, but we bought GAS and Paint (and vinegar, bleach, wine & more) by the "IMPERIAL GALLON".

So, if you want to impress us with numbers, measure in GALLONS (NOT QUARTS). This what we are familiar with(not many people KNOW what an OLYMPIC SIZED SWIMMING POOL IS so that measure has NO MEANING as well.

You are still sticking with imperial measure(though you will hotly deny it) yet you consistently use 2.5 centimeters as a common measure. TELL THE PEOPLE "THAT IS AN INCH" and most people that own homes(the adults) know what that is. By spreading their thumb and pointer finger apart they know about what an inch is by eyeballing it.

Meaning they also know what a FOOT is more than they know that 30 cm= 1 foot.

Many rulers , yardsticks, and tape measures are STILL in inches. Many are marked 50/50. Very few are pure metric. Many "carpenters and house builders use inch tape measures OVER metric, same can be the same for the plumbers and the electricians.

This is an "URGENT TIME RIGHT NOW". So QUIT with metric already. I know my car holds 10 gallons of gas. People know that because that is what they deal with every couple of days. I also know that a burner barrel holds 45 Imp Gal of oil because there is tons of them floating around as they are still in use.

Otherwise start Reporting in French. Very few will understand.

If imperial measurements are so great, why are both yards and pounds defined in metric measurements (1 yard=914.4mm and 1 pound = 453.59237g exactly):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units
Basically, when you are using imperial, you're using a system designed as a transition system between the old imperial system and the metric system. And don't worry, the vast majority of engineers, scientists, and people who are making the big decisions are using metric, and thankfully so.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What_the wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what this "urgent time" is.

Maybe he has to Pee really bad and is not sure whether it's going to be in Metric or Imperial. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Biggest winner in change over back in the 70s was Oil Companies, gasoline went from 25 cent a imperial gallon to 25 cents per/litre.

Return to “Flooding 2017”