Do away with the METRIC for this Urgent period

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Do away with the METRIC for this Urgent period

Post by Hassel99 »

I disagree.

If you don't understand what a meter or a centimeter you have bigger problems then flooding confusion.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

neilsimon wrote:If imperial measurements are so great, why are both yards and pounds defined in metric measurements (1 yard=914.4mm and 1 pound = 453.59237g exactly):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units
Basically, when you are using imperial, you're using a system designed as a transition system between the old imperial system and the metric system. And don't worry, the vast majority of engineers, scientists, and people who are making the big decisions are using metric, and thankfully so.

Architects tend to use imperial units. Engineers are a mix. Scientists use mostly metric. It all depends on the application.

And no, they aren't making big decisions using metric, so I have no idea why you're thankful about that. They are making big decisions using math. It matters not one iota what system they use to make decisions. Zero. Zip. Zilch. If you're using pounds or Newton-meters to design your bridge, it's going to be equally safe in either case.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Metric is better for:
1) Making your gas prices look lower.
2) Making your penis size sound bigger. (In fact, if you ask your friends that married Americans, you'll find that the woman is the American most of the time... probably because the man told her it was well over 12 cm long).
3) Dealing with abstract concepts for which there is no physical reference like electrical usage (kWh).

Standard units are better for:
1) Cooking and other applications where well established concepts have been around for 100s and 1000s of years. (cup, table spoon, inch, foot, etc.)
2) Bragging about the temperature when it's below -40.
3) Expressing dismay with how hot it is outside when it's really hot.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Glacier wrote:
neilsimon wrote:If imperial measurements are so great, why are both yards and pounds defined in metric measurements (1 yard=914.4mm and 1 pound = 453.59237g exactly):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units
Basically, when you are using imperial, you're using a system designed as a transition system between the old imperial system and the metric system. And don't worry, the vast majority of engineers, scientists, and people who are making the big decisions are using metric, and thankfully so.

Architects tend to use imperial units.

Maybe in Canada, though even then I wouldn't be so sure
Engineers are a mix.

Again, maybe in Canada, but the vast majority of mechanical, chemical, and industrial engineers will use metric and I would be surprised if Canadian engineers were significantly different. In fairness, most engineers I know aren't Canadian and all Canadian ones I know use metric in preference and in general.

Scientists use mostly metric. It all depends on the application.

I have yet to meet a scientist using imperial in anything other than a presentation to people who might not understand metric.

And no, they aren't making big decisions using metric, so I have no idea why you're thankful about that. They are making big decisions using math. It matters not one iota what system they use to make decisions. Zero. Zip. Zilch. If you're using pounds or Newton-meters to design your bridge, it's going to be equally safe in either case.

Yes, but if you are mixing units, you are likely to run into safety or round-off issues. It is safer to use one common system and since the internationally accepted standard is metric, it just makes sense to stick with that. Imperial should have died by the end of the Great War. It is a significantly more needlessly complicated system without any benefit except that a some people hold on to it because of an unwillingness to progress with the times.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^^ You don't live in Canada? If you're dealing with, say HVAC, you use tons and BTUs. If you're an engineer, you're bi, so it's no problemo. As in you speak both metric and standard fluently, so you'll never make mistakes switching from one language to the other.
- Douglas Murray
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Glacier wrote:^^ You don't live in Canada? If you're dealing with, say HVAC, you use tons and BTUs. If you're an engineer, you're bi, so it's no problemo. As in you speak both metric and standard fluently, so you'll never make mistakes switching from one language to the other.

Yes, I live in Canada, but most engineers work internationally and therefore have to be able to work both, yes, but prefer in general to work in metric and usually do.
As for never making mistakes, that's a laugh:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Ummm Glacier.... 40 below F is also minus 40 in metric...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

neilsimon wrote:Yes, I live in Canada, but most engineers work internationally and therefore have to be able to work both, yes, but prefer in general to work in metric and usually do.

Yup, that's why you specify units. I'm familiar with that one, but I've never seen it happen.
Last edited by Glacier on May 26th, 2017, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Ummm Glacier.... 40 below F is also minus 40 in metric...

Yes, that's why I said below -40. Back in 1947 it was -80F which is -63C. Sounds colder to say it was -80 outside.
- Douglas Murray
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Glacier wrote:
neilsimon wrote:Yes, I live in Canada, but most engineers work internationally and therefore have to be able to work both, yes, but prefer in general to work in metric and usually do.

Yup, that's why you specify units. I'm familiar with that one, but I've never seen it happen.

You have "seen" with the gimli glider. AFAIK the entire aero space industry switched to metric to prevent that from happening again. Am I wrong there?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Try aviation in one weather report you have statue miles visibility
, knots, metric temps, metric and QNH pressure reading and cloud heights are reported in a metric conversion which equals feet above ground.
Good luck with that.

IMG_0348.PNG
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

What_the wrote:You have "seen" with the gimli glider. AFAIK the entire aero space industry switched to metric to prevent that from happening again. Am I wrong there?

Seen as in at work.
- Douglas Murray
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I don't know about anyone else, but when the tape measure reading is less than a sixteenth of an inch, I start referring to it as a #### hair...or look at the metric side.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

The amount of disdain one has for the metric system, depends on their stage of life when it was brought in.
I had to calculate both, as I started my learning in Imperial measure, then in my early grades, after gaining a grasp of measures, we went to this foreign messed up European system that was nothing but a pain, and...stupid.
Now that I'm as wee bit older, I totally see the value in using metric.
I worked in a manufacturing shop a few years ago that used metric. Once I was onto using it, I saw the value in a system governed by increments of ten. I also saw the value in detail work. Millimeters are more accurate than Imperial's 1/16. Using the Imperial system, one has to resort to fractions, whereas with metric they are whole numbers, divisible by ten.

Since I learned to use both growing up, I am able to quickly calculate that 30 cm is roughly a foot. That makes 60 and 90 easy to figure. I also know a pound is around 454 g. That's also easy because in my greasy world, a 454 is a great engine to put in small cars. (lol)
2.2 pounds to a kg (roughly), and the 2.2L engine, was a dud. Easy.

The ONLY place I just can't do metric, is in figuring my fuel consumption.
I can only relate to MPG. This L/100Km doesn't compute.
When someone says, "My truck uses 14L/100kms." I glaze over and change the subject.

As for the OP wanting to do away with metric during their period of stress:
Nah.
Better that you jot down some easy translations, so when they talk metric, you have some idea of what they are referring to. It's easier than you think, when you have a plan of attack.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:Anyway it only will bother some of us ol farts and not those brought up in the metric system.

Those brought up in the metric system, couldn't add two plus two without the use of a calculator anyway, so who cares? :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Flooding 2017”