Airtanker Help?

gman313
Lord of the Board

Airtanker Help?

Post by gman313 »

During the bad fire years if there are enough pickups from the lake it can bring the lake level down.

I wonder if enough large tankers worked on it could they make a measureable difference on the lake and mitigate flooding?

The water could easily be dropped on Rutland (or more realistically in the middle of nowhere) either way would it work?
Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Airtanker Help?

Post by Graham Adder »

5,600,000,000 litres / day
5700 Olympic Swimming Pools

2,500,000 Litres in an Olympic Pool

45,000 Litres capacity in a DC-10 Airtanker
55 trips to drain one pool.

If each Airtanker did an amazing 55 trips per day (impossible) to drain one pool, we would need 5700 Airtankers doing that many fills each day.

I don't think air tankers are gonna help.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Evaporation probably more helpful than air tankers
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

All local brewers, wineries and spirit companies need to do their part.

Make MORE

When the SHTF for real, we can drown our sorrows together, as a community.

:130:

Floodwater Brew
High Water Wine
Volumizer Vodka
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Graham Adder wrote:All local brewers, wineries and spirit companies need to do their part.

Make MORE

When the SHTF for real, we can drown our sorrows together, as a community.

:130:

Floodwater Brew
High Water Wine
Volumizer Vodka

Also remember to drink lots and hold your pee
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

And just where do think water dumped in the hills would end up ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Graham Adder wrote:5,600,000,000 litres / day
5700 Olympic Swimming Pools

2,500,000 Litres in an Olympic Pool

45,000 Litres capacity in a DC-10 Airtanker
55 trips to drain one pool.

If each Airtanker did an amazing 55 trips per day (impossible) to drain one pool, we would need 5700 Airtankers doing that many fills each day.

I don't think air tankers are gonna help.

In one thread, your own, you say that one solution makes you sick, watering golf courses.
But here, you say you don't "think" it's going to help to have airtanker water removal.
So someone has proposed a solution.
No more.
No less.
So why not have a solution?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I'd like to see us humans use our technology to look after each other globally.

I don't think for one second that there is a solution inside the parameters of what this mess of a society would allow.. This is nature washing the bung hole of this barrel we call The Okanagan.
Blast the hell out of the spillway and stop trying to tweak nature. Be a part of it rather than a thorn in it.

Or:

Stop talking monetary cost. Stop talking taxes. Do whatever needs to be done to utilize this incredible natural resource for the betterment of humanity rather than feed the detriment.
Last edited by Graham Adder on May 27th, 2017, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

There's a solution.
Not.
I didn't intend to offer a solution because I know that I don't have one other than tearing apart what has been built...wrongly.

I intended only to offer a reply to the idea of using tankers.
gypsy68

Post by gypsy68 »

Like I posted on the other thread, totally agree with this, wondering why they aren't already using them for the forest fires, like up in Lumby, down in Washington state, and how bout areas that are just at high risk, maybe some preventative measures, and not all water runs back into the lake some of it is actually absorbed by the ground, and every idea like this one and lifting water restrictions for those of us on septic and for outdoor watering who don't live near the lake is another good idea, every bit helps, negativity doesn't.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Using logic and commonsense need not be considered negativity.
It's just being realistic, rather than reactionary.
To say every little bit helps, doesn't address the resources required to operate huge planes or the manpower and hidden resources to get them in the air.
It doesn't address the risk you are expecting pilots to take in exceptionally busy skies, under exceptionally stressful times.
The idea holds no footing in logic or reality.
That's just fact, not negativity.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

gypsy68 wrote:Like I posted on the other thread, totally agree with this, wondering why they aren't already using them for the forest fires, like up in Lumby, down in Washington state, and how bout areas that are just at high risk, maybe some preventative measures, and not all water runs back into the lake some of it is actually absorbed by the ground, and every idea like this one and lifting water restrictions for those of us on septic and for outdoor watering who don't live near the lake is another good idea, every bit helps, negativity doesn't.

With the amount of sizable debris scattered across the lake from one end to another, I highly doubt anyone is willing to risk an aircraft, let alone it's crew simply based on the potential for contact.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Graham Adder wrote:There's a solution.
Not.
I didn't intend to offer a solution because I know that I don't have one other than tearing apart what has been built...wrongly.

I intended only to offer a reply to the idea of using tankers.

all good Kelowna was just having my usual fun with rutland and I love planes. I too found the Wikipedia article with the DC10 tank size and did the same math. When I worked for KF I got to jumpseat in the DC10s they have for cargo - neat machines....

But I digress - back to crazy ideas - who has one
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

gman313 wrote:back to crazy ideas - who has one

Guinness Record breaking Grow Op?
Good strains require lots of water to make the magic happen.
I'd volunteer to be a magician.
Or a magician's helper.

How about we use ginseng tarps to set up an evaporative cooling system to cool the temperatures and add some moisture to the valley bottom.

If everyone gets the large bubble makers, and we all blow bubbles into the wind, some of the water content will be carried in the structure of the bubble up, up and awayyyyy over the mountains, through the valleys and into the prairies. Calgary could use a good soapy scrub.

Puff-puff-pass.

stay tuned for more incredibly ridiculous/clever ideas by G.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Graham Adder wrote:Guinness Record breaking Grow Op?
Good strains require lots of water to make the magic happen.
I'd volunteer to be a magician.
Or a magician's helper.

How about we use ginseng tarps to set up an evaporative cooling system to cool the temperatures and add some moisture to the valley bottom.

If everyone gets the large bubble makers, and we all blow bubbles into the wind, some of the water content will be carried in the structure of the bubble up, up and awayyyyy over the mountains, through the valleys and into the prairies. Calgary could use a good soapy scrub.

Puff-puff-pass.

stay tuned for more incredibly ridiculous/clever ideas by G.

see I was thinking we just need to pull the plug. Somewhere down there has got to be a little tiny bath plug.....then it's china's problem

Return to “Flooding 2017”