A plea to boaters...

Poindexter
Guru

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Poindexter »

Just knowing that your little bit of fun is coming at someone else's expense should be enough to keep boats away but if selfish people also need a reason, debris in the lake will hopefully convince them to do the right thing, even if it's for a less altruistic reason.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Drove by the boat launch in Ok Center last evening.
A guy was trying to back his trailer to the ramp to get his boat, which his wife was patiently waiting in.
He was having real difficulties backing in. Kept jack knifing.
I was about to offer to lend a hand, when my partner tuned me in.
She said, "That yelling buffoon is just getting in off the water from boating. Do you think he deserves your help loading his boat?"
As I drove past him on my way out, I heard him scream very loud in frustration.

I smiled and waved as I drove off.

She was (again) correct. There was a reason he was yelling. It's the same reason he was boating.
He's an asp-hole.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Mrs Adder. Your voice-of-reason
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

tsayta wrote:Mrs Adder. Your voice-of-reason

yes
same voice of reason that just made me change my post
lol
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Poindexter wrote:Just knowing that your little bit of fun is coming at someone else's expense should be enough to keep boats away but if selfish people also need a reason, debris in the lake will hopefully convince them to do the right thing, even if it's for a less altruistic reason.

What is the expense? Please post a video of a boat wake from Okanagan Lake of a boat in the middle of the lake causing a catastrophic event. If people are driving close to your property, call the police, I heard they have been patrolling the shores and have it under control.

As for the debris, try boating Stave Lake in Mission BC, or Pitt Lake in Pitt Meadows BC. Both have a far worse debris condition than what I have seen on Okanagan Lake in its current state. Boats have been going out on the lake recently and obviously taking proper precautions as no major boat articles about damage to boats or bodily harm to occupants have been reported.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Poindexter wrote:Just knowing that your little bit of fun is coming at someone else's expense should be enough to keep boats away but if selfish people also need a reason, debris in the lake will hopefully convince them to do the right thing, even if it's for a less altruistic reason.

Sparki55 wrote:What is the expense? Please post a video of a boat wake from Okanagan Lake of a boat in the middle of the lake causing a catastrophic event. If people are driving close to your property, call the police, I heard they have been patrolling the shores and have it under control.

As for the debris, try boating Stave Lake in Mission BC, or Pitt Lake in Pitt Meadows BC. Both have a far worse debris condition than what I have seen on Okanagan Lake in its current state. Boats have been going out on the lake recently and obviously taking proper precautions as no major boat articles about damage to boats or bodily harm to occupants have been reported.

Again - why are some so adamant at being defiant to what is a request not to boat at this time? The "expense" is it further exacerbates the erosion to the foreshore as well as damages structures. Take a look at any of the photos from last week's wind damage. No, you can't stop Mother Nature - but they can request boats stay off the lake - not just because of wave damage, but the tons of debris littering the entire lake. The request is simply appealing to the public to exercise some common sense. Think of it like a winter advisory commonly issued for the Coquihalla. When there's reports of white out conditions and drifting snow - they advise drivers to stay off due to the extreme conditions. Again - most drivers with common sense heed the warnings - but there's always a few that go blasting down to the coast regardless. They don't all crash and burn in their attempts - but there's always some that do. Why risk your boat and you and your passenger' safety?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

WalterWhite wrote:The "expense" is it further exacerbates the erosion to the foreshore as well as damages structures. Take a look at any of the photos from last week's wind damage. No, you can't stop Mother Nature - but they can request boats stay off the lake - not just because of wave damage, but the tons of debris littering the entire lake.

It does not further exacerbate the erosion unless you go full speed 50 feet from shore; a wake from the center of the lake will not reach the shoreline in any measurable amount. Yes the wind caused damage, if you want to prove boats are as well please post a video of a wake coming form the center of the lake. The people on this forum thread have made it clear they enjoy the piece and quiet. If there were a real threat from boats, the city would have put a ban on them. Yes there are always idiots and these are the same idiots that pile their cars up on the highway when it snows. For the rest of the regular folks that take it easy in the snow, most never seem to have a problem. Same will go for the responsible people in their boats, someone trolling for fish will cause no harm to their boat or your property.

Have you taken out a boat and first hand seen the debris? If not I will fill you in and let you know there isn't much for debris in the middle of the lake.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Sparki55 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:The "expense" is it further exacerbates the erosion to the foreshore as well as damages structures. Take a look at any of the photos from last week's wind damage. No, you can't stop Mother Nature - but they can request boats stay off the lake - not just because of wave damage, but the tons of debris littering the entire lake.

It does not further exacerbate the erosion unless you go full speed 50 feet from shore; a wake from the center of the lake will not reach the shoreline in any measurable amount. Yes the wind caused damage, if you want to prove boats are as well please post a video of a wake coming form the center of the lake. The people on this forum thread have made it clear they enjoy the piece and quiet. If there were a real threat from boats, the city would have put a ban on them. Yes there are always idiots and these are the same idiots that pile their cars up on the highway when it snows. For the rest of the regular folks that take it easy in the snow, most never seem to have a problem. Same will go for the responsible people in their boats, someone trolling for fish will cause no harm to their boat or your property.

Have you taken out a boat and first hand seen the debris? If not I will fill you in and let you know there isn't much for debris in the middle of the lake.

Like I said - there is always those that simply don't feel warnings apply to them. As for the debris - I've lived here long enough and spent enough years on this lake for both work and pleasure to know debris of any size can literally be anywhere this time of year - and have no interest nor feel any need to prove anything. Lastly - I strongly suggest you consider Googling a few videos on wave dynamics and see what actually happens to a wake formed in the middle of a lake of this size relative to your typical pleasure boat by the time it reaches the shoreline. FYI - full speed creates a substantially smaller wake than a slower speed with a boat off-plane whether in the middle of the lake or close to shore. But hey, you carry on and enjoy the lake practically all to yourself. Just remember that also means far less people to come to your aid when that deadhead punches a 2 foot hole in your hull.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

WalterWhite, this is simply where we part. There is a lack of understanding. I feel for those who don't understand common sense and how to apply it and rather blindly follow a herd of folk thinking the lake is all of a sudden a giant pit of death.

FYI these guys think the lake is perfectly fine. Fine enough to risk their expensive electric rentals out on the water.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-198191-1-.htm#198191
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Sparki55 wrote:WalterWhite, this is simply where we part. There is a lack of understanding. I feel for those who don't understand common sense and how to apply it and rather blindly follow a herd of folk thinking the lake is all of a sudden a giant pit of death.

FYI these guys think the lake is perfectly fine. Fine enough to risk their expensive electric rentals out on the water.

First... Wakeboard boats require very little speed to create... you guessed it a wake (only 16km/h are needed to throw a decent size wake). Pleasure boats, including pontoon boats actually create substantial wakes, which most definitely have a negative effect on an already damaged shore.

If we were talking one boat moving at low speed you may have only minor impact but multiple and you get a wake/wave pattern which can amplify one another.

I feel for the operators of rentals and watersports service providers, but the lake has huge trees, roots, branches, and other debris in it. You can see a variety of the stuff floating around without having to search for it.

If your boat is electric or gas makes little difference, as the displacement, hull design, and ballast placement creates the wake, not the type of fuel.

In general the lake is still a beautiful place, but powerboats currently have no business on it for their own safety or that of the shore. Just because you do not see a tsunami, doesn't mean that damage isn't done...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I wouldn't hesitate to put my boat in if the lake wasn't so high the logs and sticks are out there every spring you just have to pay attention
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Sparki55 wrote:WalterWhite, this is simply where we part. There is a lack of understanding. I feel for those who don't understand common sense and how to apply it and rather blindly follow a herd of folk thinking the lake is all of a sudden a giant pit of death.

Lol - yup, you're right. If that's the level of expertise you're relying on, then yes - this is simply where we part.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

The lack of understanding comes from you.
The lack of understanding common sense comes from you.
The only blind follower is you.
The reference to the lake being a pit of death comes from you.
The BUSINESS that wants to rent their INSURED boats runs a BUSINESS. Of COURSE they want their boats on the water.
Are you aware of how business works?
That conclusion would be well listed under common sense.
Last edited by Graham Adder on May 30th, 2017, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Spark if you are out there trolling your lure no problem..
if you are trolling us..then its a problem..

Why do you compare apples to oranges ? Flooded lake here with folks fighting to keep water off their property vs Stave Lake.. Or the Fraser. ... Maybe that is where you should be.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Flooding 2017”