A plea to boaters...

User avatar
lightspeed
Guru
Posts: 7037
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by lightspeed »

GalaxyzAway wrote:Hate to admit it but it's just hard to find empathy for people in million dollar homes :135:


Jealousy and schadenfreude, huh.

$1m is nothing in the scale of things. Not sure why someone would be jealous of a $1m home. Or a nice car. Or a nice life. Or a successful career. But they are. Human nature I guess.

Personally I hope everyone's home - rich or poor, lakeshore or downtown - survive ok.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
Posts: 29026
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 10:05 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Bpeep »

A million dollar home is nothing special anymore.
Neither is being a millionaire.

You can't even have a nice retirement on a mill.

Not having empathy for someone just because of what they own or its value is absurd.

All people are equal.
But some are more equal than others.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
User avatar
Temet Nosce
Board Meister
Posts: 690
Joined: Feb 21st, 2015, 10:36 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Temet Nosce »

lightspeed wrote:
GalaxyzAway wrote:Hate to admit it but it's just hard to find empathy for people in million dollar homes :135:


Jealousy and schadenfreude, huh.

$1m is nothing in the scale of things. Not sure why someone would be jealous of a $1m home. Or a nice car. Or a nice life. Or a successful career. But they are. Human nature I guess.

Personally I hope everyone's home - rich or poor, lakeshore or downtown - survive ok.


Agreed!
More and more it seems this attitude is becoming prevalent--those who have accumulated some wealth are somehow undeserving or viewed in a negative light. I was reading a letter on CN and the writer was making a plea to boaters and throughout the letter I noticed the writer repeatedly qualified how they are not "the wealthy" in their plight to gain empathy (can't remember exact wording) anyway the point is the writer talked about how they purchased their lake front many years ago when prices were lower and continue to work hard etc. etc. I found myself reading and thinking why do they feel the need to justify that they are not "wealthy" in their plea to boaters to take care not to cause damage. I am sick of hearing the negative comments and attitude toward anyone who has some wealth--it is getting really old. MANY have worked their whole life and made good decisions and many are not 20 or 30 years old. But this attitude IMO is mostly among the late 20's--30ish demographic. IF only they would focus some of that energy on their own future and life instead of 'blaming' the wealthy they may improve their own circumstances--in whatever way they value. Rant over....
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6277
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Poindexter »

Misery loves company and threads like this demonstrate that we have quite a few miserable posters.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
LordEd
Guru
Posts: 9351
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by LordEd »

With the lack of empathy and outright spite directed to the "million dollar home" owners, I wonder how many of them, as people who probably have means to help somebody in need, will have less empathy to donate next time somebody less fortunate is in need.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
User avatar
Graham Adder
Guru
Posts: 5492
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Graham Adder »

LordEd wrote:With the lack of empathy and outright spite directed to the "million dollar home" owners, I wonder how many of them, as people who probably have means to help somebody in need, will have less empathy to donate next time somebody less fortunate is in need.

this is assuming "they" have donated in the past
User avatar
lightspeed
Guru
Posts: 7037
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by lightspeed »

Graham Adder wrote:
LordEd wrote:With the lack of empathy and outright spite directed to the "million dollar home" owners, I wonder how many of them, as people who probably have means to help somebody in need, will have less empathy to donate next time somebody less fortunate is in need.

this is assuming "they" have donated in the past


With the prevailing attitudes being shown, "they" probably gave up a while ago.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
User avatar
Graham Adder
Guru
Posts: 5492
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Graham Adder »

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Jun 1st, 2017, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
User avatar
lightspeed
Guru
Posts: 7037
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by lightspeed »

Response to off topic comment
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Jun 1st, 2017, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71381
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Fancy »

GalaxyzAway wrote:Hate to admit it but it's just hard to find empathy for people in million dollar homes :135:

What about those that are renting older homes or cabins? This plea isn't just for a select few - it's up and down the valley. It's obvious there are more than a few that do not understand what's really happening and the stress people are under because of the weather. There has been substantial damage and work that is constantly being done to maintain property and many are under evacuation orders. No empathy?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Temet Nosce
Board Meister
Posts: 690
Joined: Feb 21st, 2015, 10:36 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Temet Nosce »

Graham Adder wrote:
LordEd wrote:With the lack of empathy and outright spite directed to the "million dollar home" owners, I wonder how many of them, as people who probably have means to help somebody in need, will have less empathy to donate next time somebody less fortunate is in need.

this is assuming "they" have donated in the past


I know a few of those home owners being referred to in this thread and who's properties are potentially affected by the flooding and trust me "they" have dedicated not only TONS of money to those who are less fortunate but also considerable time and money--including many animal causes. And....they are some of the hardest working and most generous people I know. I could give many examples but I won't bother because those who project blame onto others will likely continue to do so even faced with evidence to the contrary.
User avatar
Graham Adder
Guru
Posts: 5492
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Graham Adder »

Temet Nosce wrote:... I could give many examples but I won't bother because those who project blame onto others will likely continue to do so even faced with evidence to the contrary.


What evidence?
Is it your post that you refer to as evidence?
I see no evidence, but rather an anonymous poster bolstering through text those they wish to support.

I also know people that live on this lake that have absolutely no care for others. Which example shall we use? I suppose that depends on the agenda you intend to fulfill.

I'm still going to say this is assuming "they" have donated in the past.

It's all assumptions until someone spills some REAL evidence.
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 71381
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Fancy »

Temet Nosce wrote: because those who project blame onto others will likely continue to do so even faced with evidence to the contrary.
I would agree and wouldn't post evidence as you wouldn't want anyone identified by chance.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Temet Nosce
Board Meister
Posts: 690
Joined: Feb 21st, 2015, 10:36 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Temet Nosce »

Graham Adder wrote:
Temet Nosce wrote:... I could give many examples but I won't bother because those who project blame onto others will likely continue to do so even faced with evidence to the contrary.


What evidence?
Is it your post that you refer to as evidence?
I see no evidence, but rather an anonymous poster bolstering through text those they wish to support.

I also know people that live on this lake that have absolutely no care for others. Which example shall we use? I suppose that depends on the agenda you intend to fulfill.

I'm still going to say this is assuming "they" have donated in the past.

It's all assumptions until someone spills some REAL evidence.


Okay I see your point... you do realize though you could just review some local news that would illustrate my claim that many with wealth have donated in the OK-- time and money ...
Myself (and I am not one of the wealthy on waterfront BTW) YTD have donated over 2,000. to local causes helping those less fortunate with housing... and yourself?
And one waterfront friend has provided free housing to a single father for the past 5-6 years... I could go on but again read... educate yourself on some of those with wealth who donate in this community it might surprise you...
Further...of course I am sure you are right some wealthy don't help others... but good and bad in every tax bracket....
User avatar
lightspeed
Guru
Posts: 7037
Joined: Jan 13th, 2016, 9:58 am

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by lightspeed »

Graham Adder wrote:
What evidence?
Is it your post that you refer to as evidence?
I see no evidence, but rather an anonymous poster bolstering through text those they wish to support.

I also know people that live on this lake that have absolutely no care for others. Which example shall we use? I suppose that depends on the agenda you intend to fulfill.

I'm still going to say this is assuming "they" have donated in the past.

It's all assumptions until someone spills some REAL evidence.


One name... Al Stober.

I know of many many people either brought up here or moved here that donate time money resources and efforts to the benefit of the wider community. Also bequeath money and such like. Every one of them has a house worth more than $1m.

The generosity of some moneyed folks (not all, mind) would astound you. There are some truly amazing people in the community. Many of them prefer anonymity, private donations, no publicity, and absolute discretion.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...

Return to “Flooding 2017”