How we can help drain the lake!!

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: How we can help drain the lake!!

Post by dogspoiler »

OFF TOPIC
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on May 29th, 2017, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OFF TOPIC
Black Dogs Matter
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Back on topic or warnings will come next.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Off Topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on May 29th, 2017, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OFF TOPIC
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

How can we help drain the lake?

Why should we have to? And we can't can't, unless we let it revert back to natural courses; even then, floods happen naturally every so often.

Whining about lake shores, whining about the rich, whining about gov't/municipal/council

*bleep*. I'm annoyed by this thread lol
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

So is diesel haha
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

My employees and I were standing around this morning coming up with ideas on how to lower the lake. Here are a select few:

1. Drink more water.
2. Drink more local beer.
3. Flush the toilet constantly.
4. Dig the lake 2m deeper.
5. More fundraising car washes for youth sport teams.

Our $0.02.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

marooned wrote:My employees and I were standing around this morning coming up with ideas on how to lower the lake. Here are a select few:

1. Drink more water.
2. Drink more local beer.
3. Flush the toilet constantly.
4. Dig the lake 2m deeper.
5. More fundraising car washes for youth sport teams.

Our $0.02.

Except you NEVER waste water that isn't turned to steam. Flushing your toilet, washing cars, and watering your grass merely puts the water back into the ground from whence it came.

Start a beer making place, and then export it before anyone drinks it (and pees the water back into the lake via the sewer). You could also evaporate billions of litres of the stuff with 47 new nuclear power plants or coal power plants, but then again, those would take a decade to get up and running.

I suppose another option would be to hire ISIS to blow up the dam at Penticton, which allow a lot more water to leave the lake.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Nuke the lake, that should flash boil a lot of the water.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Your constant baiting is growing old awful fast. Consider this your final warning as next time you'll receive a vacation from the sight.
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on May 30th, 2017, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

TheDeuce wrote:I have an idea for what to do with the excess lake water. We should get some sort of tankers to fill with water from the lake. They could possibly be stored at the airport. Not only would be removing water from the lake, we could save the water for use during forest fire season, or to pump back into the lake when we are on water restrictions and have low water levels

Post some comments or other ideas.

I just read this.
Not a bad idea.
Peeps can drive to the lake and fill jerry cans and bring them home, use them to fill rain barrels.
Maybe a couple of the local castanet engineers can plan a pumping and piping system to pump it uphill and the lake will have a chance to drain a bit before the water makes its way back down.

And Nestle always needs water. Someone can harness it and sell it to them. They're willing to pay, I hear.

Damn that damned dam.
There's a solution for everything.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Free swimming pools for everybody!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I think before anyone posts more ideas..
Go watch Mission Creek for a full minute.. Then think about how much water your idea would move..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think before anyone posts more ideas..
Go watch Mission Creek for a full minute.. Then think about how much water your idea would move..

I checked it out. It's flowing almost as fast with almost as much volume as my Friday night beers.
That's pretty fast n furious.

Treat the excess water like a garage sale.
Junk at garage sales doesn't sell if it's free. People just walk right on by. They don't want your free junk.
Put a ridiculous price on it, and they'll risk life and limb to steal it.
Let's put a value of $1.00/L on our water. At that price, someone will come along in the dark and steal it all.
I don't know how they'd do it, but I assure you it would be gone by morning without a trace (at least not one the RCMP can find).

BEST idea yet
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

As this blog points out and as this Castanet article confirms, the lake is high largely because of the low snowpack over winter caused the operator to allow the lake to fill until about a month before the flooding hit hard. By then it was too late to stop the flooding since they are mandated to prevent flooding of the river.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

It is well within existing technology to install a system that would move the water out of Okanagan Lake, but what problems would happen downstream ?
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Flooding 2017”