Compensation for flooding??

tw1nm3t3or

Compensation for flooding??

Post by tw1nm3t3or »

Compensation for flooding?

Yes because mother nature totally owes you one.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Compensation for flooding??

Post by GordonH »

impo compensation should go to thoses who's property was effected if it was outside (above) the flood plain.
Those who purchased property in a known flood plain, should have done there homework beforehand. Any Provincial land office would have that information or directly asking the restate agent.
Or getting that particular type of flood insurance that covers this type of flooding.

Sorry don't mean come across cold, sooner or later living on the flood plain will come back to bite you in the ars :cuss:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

you mean it doesn't make ya all warm and fuzzy knowing the tax payer will get stuck paying for repairs on multi million dollar homes
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

LTD wrote:you mean it doesn't make ya all warm and fuzzy knowing the tax payer will get stuck paying for repairs on multi million dollar homes

Not really, especially knowing at one time building on the flood plain was not permitted. For this very reason.

I am sorry to those effected, please don't expect (or want) BC taxpayers to fix your homes.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Think we should acknowledge the possibility that city infrastructure and other properties are protected by flood protection installed by those living on the lake or creeks. If the water was able to get onto one property there isn't much to stop it from flowing into the street and into other homes. So I could see in some cases where neighbours and possibly the city or province, may want to pitch in to cover expenses if a homeowner spent a lot and in doing so protected others.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It's all about fault.

If the damage is mother nature's fault - you're SOL.

If the damage is a result of improper home construction - builder could be found at least partially at fault, although the example given by the lawyer of basement waterproofing isn't correct. It's "damp proofing", code requirements are not designed to prevent water intrusion as a result of a flood. It's designed to prevent water intrusion after a heavy rain or snowmelt.

Similar - if you can prove that your home got flooded as a result of mismanagement and/or negligence by regional governance. An example could be "They knew the snowpack was above normal and they knew the lake was already high. If things were properly managed you would have opened up the outflow weeks sooner than you did."

But yeah - in most cases, there's nobody to blame except nature, and she's not going to pay up.
Last edited by TylerM4 on May 31st, 2017, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

LTD wrote:you mean it doesn't make ya all warm and fuzzy knowing the tax payer will get stuck paying for repairs on multi million dollar homes

Who says we are paying..? If you feel so inclined, go right ahead..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

well when insurance doesn't cover it and the government steps up and starts shelling out money from the disaster relief fund where do ya think it comes from the magic money tree out back
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Just take compensation out of the Ft. McMurray Fund.
That was and still is one bottomless pit of money to be tossed about. Surely if we ask them nicely, they'll help rebuild homes and infrastructure here, where most of their workforce live.
It's worth a try.
Isn't it?

:biggrin:
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

im sure we will end up footing the bill for a bunch of illegal docks to be rebuilt too. probably give mayor sugarplum time to grant them retroactive permits and make them legal too
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Houses should NEVER be allowed on any lakeshore that could possibly flood. It should be left as parkland. Nothing raises my blood pressure like some rich folks having their expensive lakefront property and then wanting the public to fund their insurance. When there is a flood along a river or a lake, the entire base of taxpayers funds that.

Earthquake, forest fire..... sure you deserve compensation. Building on a flood plain..... no.

It's always been too easy to get property rezoned. p.s. I live up on a hill.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Interesting to see not one, but two articles about this recently. Who is seriously asking this question? I own a house between Mission and Mill Creeks, and I consider the risk of a rising water table my own. I either get insurance, or not - I don't turn to the city, regional district, province (which has made emergency funds available), or feds to try to lay blame.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

The ONLY compensation for flooding should be an info-pack informing how to stack sandbags and what flood zone, high water and snowpack mean.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Graham Adder wrote:The ONLY compensation for flooding should be an info-pack informing how to stack sandbags and what flood zone, high water and snowpack mean.
That's not compensation and video on how to sandbag was already posted online.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

marooned wrote:Interesting to see not one, but two articles about this recently. Who is seriously asking this question? I own a house between Mission and Mill Creeks, and I consider the risk of a rising water table my own. I either get insurance, or not - I don't turn to the city, regional district, province (which has made emergency funds available), or feds to try to lay blame.

I'm in the middle of one of the flood zones and could have tossed a stone into the flood waters a few weeks ago.
Not once was I considering calling on anyone but myself to do what needed to be done.
These people that can't look after themselves make me shudder.
Once upon a time, they'd go for a walk on a cold and snowy night because their uselessness serves no just purpose to the community. People these days pride them,selves on being useless. Trading in life skills for a fat *bleep* and a worn faux suede office chair. Get up from the chair and go for a walk. Maybe wait 'til it gets colder.

Return to “Flooding 2017”