A plea to boaters...

Graham Adder
Guru

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Graham Adder »

Temet Nosce wrote: YTD have donated over 2,000. to local causes helping those less fortunate with housing... and yourself?

I do my part when and where I can to help those in need.
What I don't do is tell others how much money I give, nor question them on what they do.
Perhaps a bit of reading into the topic and educating yourself would fetch the answers you wish for, but I'll not seize this as an opportunity to brag nor dig for accolades.

lightspeed wrote:
Graham Adder wrote:
What evidence?

One name... Al Stober.

I know of many many people either brought up here or moved here that donate time money resources and efforts to the benefit of the wider community. Also bequeath money and such like. Every one of them has a house worth more than $1m.

The generosity of some moneyed folks (not all, mind) would astound you. There are some truly amazing people in the community. Many of them prefer anonymity, private donations, no publicity, and absolute discretion.

Dropping names is not evidence.
I am aware of the generosity of some.
I am also aware that it is not all.

I am not easily astounded.
I too prefer anonymity regarding my giving side.
I don't ask nor expect anything in return. That included a tax receipt.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Despite numerous warnings and pleas for boaters to slow down on Okanagan Lake, it would appear some people are just not getting the message.

Many residents have posted 'No wake' signs near the shoreline and officials from various levels of government and emergency agencies have also pleaded with boaters to go slow so as not to create wakes that damage sandbag barriers and flood homes.

Now the RCMP are issuing a warning after several cases of speeding boats were reported in the North Okanagan.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/19 ... ng-message
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 2nd, 2017, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 2nd, 2017, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's too bad that boaters feel the need to tamper with the barricades and hope anyone that sees them takes photos and reports them (they can be fined).
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

The Eldorado boat launch was blocked off as of 9:30 this morning when I passed. Haven't seen any official notice of it being closed. May just be temporary due to accommodate the dock work next door - although that also appears to be understandably stalled with the high water.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy wrote:It's too bad that boaters feel the need to tamper with the barricades and hope anyone that sees them takes photos and reports them (they can be fined).

Not sure if that's just a comment in general Fancy, or if it's in regard to the guy (so-called bozo) caught launching on the westside? I saw that on another news source, and there was a follow up on it revealing he was in fact given permission to access the launch :

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 7th, 2017, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: News site other than Castanet.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Fancy, another Kelowna news website had an article about West Kelowna's Mayor taking pictures of someone removing the barricades at a boat launch, and putting a boat and 2 jet skis in the water..

he called the guy a "bozo"...anyways, of course everyone was upset about it and were saying some nasty things in the comment section...

BUT, apparently the guy worked at a Marina and HAD permission from West Kelowna to use that boat launch to only test the boat and jet skis..

the Mayor should have known that or at the very least asked the guy what he was doing before he accused him of being a "bozo"...and...

there's an open boat launch a few minutes away, so why didn't West Kelowna tell that company to use that one instead of using the one that had a barricade ???

(you beat me to it Walter, but this forum won't allow you to post other Kelowna websites, it will bleep it out)
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 2nd, 2017, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This should be done via private message!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

So WHO gave him permission?? Our lake and foreshore are in crisis mode, yet they think its important that these boats get tested ? Then where do the plan on using them ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

WalterWhite wrote:*removed*

It's in the forum rules. And it was not that particular incident I was talking about.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:So WHO gave him permission?? Our lake and foreshore are in crisis mode, yet they think its important that these boats get tested ? Then where do the plan on using them ?

He received permission from the city of West Kelowna. He didn't take the boat out - but was merely checking the depth sounder operation while on the trailer. The jet skis were only transferred from one trailer to another.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Informative!

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

This is turning into a tourism PR nightmare. On one hand some authorities are "discouraging" boating - while rental companies are stating it's business as usual to tourists. Other municipalities have closed their boat launches. Why is Kelowna so reluctant to close the Eldorado launch and announce no motorized vessels capable of creating a wake? Confused unsuspecting tourists that do venture out are subject to ridicule. It's one or the other Mayor Sugarplum - make the call and close the launch.

Return to “Flooding 2017”