Shoreline Eco-systems

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Shoreline Eco-systems

Post by Queen K »

Okay just got back from Rotary Marsh and it's clear there are winners and losers with this flooding.

Losing are certain plants which normally would never get so much water around their roots.
Certain tree leaves are turning yellow and brown and curling. Obviously the roots sustained the high water for a while but now their losing their battle.

Thistles are dying due to be inudated with water. These provide a major food source for American Gold Finch and other small seed eating birds. For five years now I've been fortunate to photograph Gold Finch in seedheads. Sure they're be some which survive, but the food source is obviously going to be greatly diminished.

Red-Wing Black birds nest low in bullrushes. But this year? Their nests are either drowned out or close to it. We did witness a nest go from well above water level to below water level. With eggs in it.

Obviously some plants and animals aren't affected at all, or it's all relative. Mallards seem to be mocking us.

Is anyone else able to give some insight to shoreline ecology in this flood?
Last edited by Queen K on Jun 5th, 2017, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Re: Shoreline Eco-systems

Post by Temet Nosce »

Great post....may serve to educate others who have the narrow minded focus on 'wealthy property owners'. And....Happy Birthday Queen K :130:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thanks for the Bday Wishes :D

I was also thinking of the Evely campsite near Fintry as we've photographed spawing fish there and now that spawning site will be well below 2-3 feet of water by now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I would think red-winged blackbirds and the like will have an expanded nesting ground - they like marshes, wetlands and rank weedy fields so they will adapt. Not sure how many species build more than one nest (robins and mourning doves for example) so it's possible some will rebuild in more suitable places. Bottom feeding fish have just found new feeding grounds for now. Mosquitoes are abundant and that may bring in a higher bat population.
Happy Birthday to you too!!
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm thinking the Red-Wings built nests pre-flood and have either been flooded out and have to rebuild or are too close to water now. I was photographing them this morning.

Also, Rotary seems eeriely quiet. When the water is in it's normal state, there is actual shoreline to be seen from the boardwalks. We've seen shoreline birds such as Yellow legs and a others which are now completely flooded out as the mud they feed from is completely absent.

I did photograph a Lake Otter last week but alas have not seen one before that for six years and now I haven't seen it since.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Happy Birthday, gracious Queen!!! :birthday2: :sunshine:

Great thread!!!

The goldfinch population up here is thriving...and it's costing me $200 + a month in niger seed to support it!!! :up:

Sadly, folks rarely think of what these dynamics do to the shoreline Eco-systems.

Think this year will be a struggle for some and a bounty for others.

Good news for you...the creeks up this way are slowing down and aren't near as full.
Last edited by Barney Google on Jun 16th, 2017, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

This just reminded me of the flood of '72. :D My dad was walking around checking the damage to the property below our house (our place was safe) and saw two little "somethings" come running towards him. He bent down with his hands open and two baby ducks ran into his hands. :D We raised them. They had a little pen outside and every night dad took them into the garden with him and they caught grasshoppers. Our evening entertainment was putting water in the bathtub and watching the ducks zoom around under water. hahaha In the fall we took them to a lake and let them go. :cry:

Anyway, Mother Nature is smart. This might be just what the shoreline needs. A good cleaning and scrubbing.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I didn't let so many sunflowers live along my fence as last year and now I know the birds have reduced feed on the shore and here. Might have to buy that Niger seed to make it up to them.

Nice duck story Ferri, they really knew their lives would be spoiled rotten, kinda like a certain doggie I've met.
:D
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

This would possibly explain why we have more finches at our feeder with nyjer seeds in it. Last year, it was much quieter at the feeder and we thought we may have to switch out to a different birdseed.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The thistles aren't blooming yet and usually do so by the end of July and go to seed quickly. All I'm saying is that if the water level doesn't recede in time the thistles growing now are likely to get drowned out and die, thus reducing a food source. And my bird photography. :-X Best photos I have are of the goldfinch seed eating at the Marsh.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Great thread Queen and happy belated.

Have a beaver question. There's a family of beavers that have a lodge on the lake that we've seen quite a bit over the years. Had the baby follow when we were kayaking a few years ago, followed us into a bay and kept swimming under our kayaks and popping up the other side, then slap it's miniscule tail and repeat. Not sure if he was playing with us or telling us to hit the road, either way it was adorable and we didn't over stay our welcome.

My question is, are Beaver lodges similar to diver's bells where the water can raise above the height of the lodge and they stay dry inside? Currently the water is over the top of the lodge and we're wondering how our little buddies are making out.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good question Poindexter, I understand from wayyy back that they are like diver's bells. We have photographed a large beaver swimming around a few times in the last couple of days. Seems this high water level just has them chewing down different trees. I haven't seen two beavers, just one so far. We have wondered what they are making of this high water, is it making life difficult for them or not?

That the water is over their lodge now is yet another scenerio I hadn't thought of myself so I have no insight to this. Hoping someone does.
Last edited by Queen K on Jun 5th, 2017, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#198692

More bad news for shoreline dependent plants and animals. Or is it time for this?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You might find this of interest:
http://artfuldogger.blogspot.ca/2015/01 ... lodge.html

They have a ventilation shaft from what I understand though I haven't been able to view an active beaver's lodge in the winter to verify.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Fancy wrote:You might find this of interest:
http://artfuldogger.blogspot.ca/2015/01 ... lodge.html

They have a ventilation shaft from what I understand though I haven't been able to view an active beaver's lodge in the winter to verify.

Appreciate the info even of it's not the news I was hoping for, alot of coyotes where they live. Hoping they found a way to stay safe until the water level drops.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Flooding 2017”