A plea to boaters...

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by Catri »

He deserves to return to find his vehicle towed at the very least. It's completely unbelievable how stupid and selfish some people are.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I plan to do the same thing myself, except I won't leave the truck there.
If some one wants to go out and enjoy some quiet fishing how is he supposed to get his boat in the water ?
Black Dogs Matter
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

dogspoiler wrote:I plan to do the same thing myself, except I won't leave the truck there.
If some one wants to go out and enjoy some quiet fishing how is he supposed to get his boat in the water ?

There literally is no where to launch, get over it. We went to Peachland last weekend with our car topper and ended up driving up to Peachland Lake instead. Came back with the kayaks the next day, carried them into the water and then parked the truck a block back from the beach. So many other Lakes around to fish it seems a bit pig headed to make a pain of yourself when other locations for fishing are available.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Why anyone thinks it's okay to enter a closed area and park on the beach just baffles me.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

W105 wrote:he deserves a public shaming....what a dummy

I cannot say 100% as the licence plate isn't visible BUT i am pretty sure this is the guy who lives on Beach Ave right next to Trapanier creek where the road closure starts. That guy has same model and colour of SUV and has boat and trailer. He also had locals shouting at him on the weekend when he drove along the closed section of Beach over the pump out hoses. He could easily have come in the other end and wouldn't have needed to drive more than 3 feet to his door.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

When some people see boats on the lake, their reaction is "if they can, so can I. That is not justification... just the reality of things for people who don't seem capable of thinking their way through these kinds of situations. Interestingly, today when coming across the Bennett bridge, I see the guy who tows people in parachutes behind his boat, out on the lake doing just that. His is a big boat and [of course] he has to travel at some speed in order to get his clients airborne and to keep them up there. Seems a bit irresponsible to me given the request that people not operate their boats on the lake during this high water crisis. Sure he is running a business, and this is the time of the year that it operates, but seems a bit selfish is it not?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Classic 'me versus them' scenario
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

"during this high water crisis"

too funny :)
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Poindexter wrote:
dogspoiler wrote:I plan to do the same thing myself, except I won't leave the truck there.

There literally is no where to launch, get over it. We went to Peachland last weekend with our car topper and ended up driving up to Peachland Lake instead. Came back with the kayaks the next day, carried them into the water and then parked the truck a block back from the beach. So many other Lakes around to fish it seems a bit pig headed to make a pain of yourself when other locations for fishing are available.

Actually the Provincial boat launch at Soorimpt between Summerland and Penticton is wide open. Saw a boat launching just the other day. The lake is 84 miles long and up to 5 miles wide. There are miles of unpopulated shoreline. Yes, there is a request to stay off the lake, but I think the request should simply be to go slow and stay miles away from shore. I see sailboats out there. Other boats can go just as slow and still enjoy the lake. Cruise to the middle of the lake and sun-bathe and swim. Why not? And fishing! Why the hell not! It's ludicrous to try to close the entire lake! The reports are that the lake will not fall to normal full pool levels until AT LEAST the middle of July. To shut down the lake to tourists with boats will absolutely have an effect on tourism. And it is not necessary. The boats just need to be smart and respectful. Go slow and stop, fish, suntan or stay on plane and miles from shore. An attempt at a complete shutdown actually does infringe on people's rights, thus the I don't care attitude. And especially because a shutdown of launches only attempts to keep boat owners who don't have a marina slip off the water.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

"We have had about six boaters and a Jet Ski rush by within 100 metres of our home in just the past two days," said Dan Beveau.

"One boater rode by on his boat and gave me the finger, said a nasty word and said that I could afford it," Beveau said.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#198951

Just a sickening attitude and totally clueless by these boaters.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:"during this high water crisis"

Why is this "too funny"?

It is a record high water year.
It is causing extensive problems throughout the valley.
Using the term "crisis" would be an acceptable term to describe such widespread problems.
We are still in the midst of the situation, so the word "during" would be accurate.

You are amused by something other than the statement itself.....what would that be?
You and 71 others Like this post
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I wouldn't call it a crisis either an inconvenience for a select group that can afford to live on the lake yes but a crisis ,I don't think so, it would have to effect a lot more people to become a crisis in my opinion
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:I wouldn't call it a crisis either an inconvenience for a select group that can afford to live on the lake yes but a crisis ,I don't think so, it would have to effect a lot more people to become a crisis in my opinion

This is an attitude that so many seem to believe yet it's not always true. There are hundreds of people affected by the high water that aren't rich - look at those at the head of the lake living in trailers/mobile homes/small modest houses. People have been evacuated that really have limited options as to where to go. How about the cleanup and restoration?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

*removed*
Please drive down to where people are working hard to save their homes from basement flooding and offer to lend a hand during their fake "high water crisis."

LTD wrote:I wouldn't call it a crisis either an inconvenience for a select group that can afford to live on the lake yes but a crisis ,I don't think so, it would have to effect a lot more people to become a crisis in my opinion

:-X You too. I'm shocked to think you don't believe this isn't affect hundreds of people and no, they aren't all rich.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 8th, 2017, 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Don't make it personal please.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Yes it is a crisis and another attitude that shows zero empathy for those that are in a losing battle with the water. People have put in a lot of hard work for days and weeks to try and save their structures and some are losing that battle. Boaters that thumb their noses at those that are struggling just shows their ignorance and clearly don't understand, can't understand and clearly just don't care what some of the people are going through. Not everyone can afford it.

Return to “Flooding 2017”