A plea to boaters...

LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by LTD »

Fancy wrote:
LTD wrote:I wouldn't call it a crisis either an inconvenience for a select group that can afford to live on the lake yes but a crisis ,I don't think so, it would have to effect a lot more people to become a crisis in my opinion

This is an attitude that so many seem to believe yet it's not always true. There are hundreds of people affected by the high water that aren't rich - look at those at the head of the lake living in trailers/mobile homes/small modest houses. People have been evacuated that really have limited options as to where to go. How about the cleanup and restoration?

fair enough bad choice of words on my part didn't mean just the rich the reality is I still don't think its a crisis an inconvenience is more realistic than a crisis if the water level gets to Gordon we can start using terms like crisis and disaster
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If it got to Richter it'd affect hundreds more. First of all it isn't so let's not go into hyperbole.
But it is a crisis and many are suffering.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#198919
A disaster continues to unfold at Head of the Lake on Okanagan Indian Band land in the North Okanagan, as lake water creeps into homes and washes away roads.

A total of 220 residences, including permanent and seasonal homes, are on evacuation order.

People are having problems up and down the lake - from Penticton to Vernon. This isn't just about the City of Kelowna.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The flood threat Friday morning is said to be critical at the Redwing gated community on the shores of Okanagan Lake near Penticton.

That assessment from city engineer Mitch Moroziuk who says immediate action is required to reinforce a dike structure built last weekend to protect the development.

“The wall is holding but the water level is quickly approaching the spillover point on parts of the structure,” said Moroziuk in a news release. “It must be raised immediately or a large section of the community will flood.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/3498326/flood ... velopment/

Take a look at the photos - people are sandbagging like crazy huge walls - unprecedented - and for boaters to deliberately try to undermine the work is unforgivable. Mother Nature is bad enough to worry about but boater action is preventable.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:fair enough bad choice of words on my part didn't mean just the rich the reality is I still don't think its a crisis an inconvenience is more realistic than a crisis if the water level gets to Gordon we can start using terms like crisis and disaster

I'm surprised you think flooded homes are merely an inconvenience.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

that's what it is I have a couple buddies with homes on the water who would agree one lost his dock and that's exactly what he calls it an inconvenience theres no life or death situation that makes it a crisis its material possesions that can easily be repaired or replaced don't get me wrong it sucks and I feel for them and my boat is still parked but in my opinion not a crisis

I once had a crawl space flood with a foot of water it to was an inconvenience but we dealt with it
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

LTD wrote:that's what it is I have a couple buddies with homes on the water who would agree one lost his dock and that's exactly what he calls it an inconvenience theres no life or death situation that makes it a crisis its material possesions that can easily be repaired or replaced don't get me wrong it sucks and I feel for them and my boat is still parked but in my opinion not a crisis

I once had a crawl space flood with a foot of water it to was an inconvenience but we dealt with it

You are using two examples that conveniently do not address the scope of the situation.

If your friend with the dock doesn't care, then of course he wouldn't view it as a crisis. If you had a foot of water in your crawlspace due to some unanticipated issue and it didn't bother you, then I'm sure that wasn't a crisis either.

However, ask the people in Lake Country who are heavily impacted or the people everywhere else within the areas affected and who are in danger of extreme damage to their homes.
I am sure that living for a month or two not knowing if they will be able to afford to remediate the damages would constitute a crisis for them.

Let's keep it real rather than using irrelevant examples. The notion that the only issue is the loss of luxury items by the super wealthy is absurd.
You and 71 others Like this post
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

deleted
Last edited by LTD on Jun 8th, 2017, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't wander too far off topic please! Thanks!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

if it makes you guys feel better my boat hasn't moved throughout this inconvenient crisis nor will it :up:
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Fancy wrote:
"We have had about six boaters and a Jet Ski rush by within 100 metres of our home in just the past two days," said Dan Beveau.

"One boater rode by on his boat and gave me the finger, said a nasty word and said that I could afford it," Beveau said.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#198951

Just a sickening attitude and totally clueless by these boaters.

Unbelievable what a do#che....(I'll save you all from seeing my pic ;) notice how he commented the property owner "could afford it"!!! This is the attitude I just can't believe and see it is more and more prevalent.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Temet Nosce wrote:

Unbelievable what a do#che....(I'll save you all from seeing my pic ;) notice how he commented the property owner "could afford it"!!! This is the attitude I just can't believe and see it is more and more prevalent.

Karma is a you know what, he will get his. Perhaps his drain plug will be loose next time and he will discover that when he is in the middle of the lake.

And on the 'property owner can afford it' well most can't afford boats either so he can go f himself. Good on the property owner for having his financial house in order ( I assume this of course)
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Yea, it's just rich lakefront property owners dealing with flooding.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/19 ... t-the-lake

We're left shaking our heads and feel a low simmering boil of frustration, because most people simply aren't wired this way. Unfortunately, having witnessed the growth of our area over many years, this attitude (of the boater) it seems this is not only becoming more prevalent - it's becoming more the norm. It's not an excuse, but I lay part of the blame for situations like this to occur because municipalities are too afraid of losing an almighty tourist's dollar that they refused to shut down the lake to motorized vessels, opting instead for cute YouTube fodder from a flowery mayor asking nicely while at the same time imploring visitors to open their wallets and keep the cash flowing - like, say uh, erm, um at boat rental companies. It's like the mayor of Amity refusing to close the beaches in Jaws - except he wore the clothes better. Ed Hardy shirts, tattoos, F350's or Beamers and a wakeboat - there ya go phabulous Phred - all the components required for the best city logo ever.
Last edited by WalterWhite on Jun 8th, 2017, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
04FX4

Post by 04FX4 »

My thoughts, if you don't like hot weather move, if you don't like cold weather move, if you don't like flooding move.... etc etc I think you get the point..I don't agree with people purposely wrecking other people's property but you can't expect people to stay off the lake. They may live here because of the lake and also pay a lot of money to live here and for there boat they want to enjoy. Can't go to Disneyland and say you can't go on the rides.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I can have horrible thoughts occasionally and in this topic I most certainly do. I hope that one of these ultramaroons hits a dead head. I have seen what can happen at relatively slow speeds decades ago while at the coast. High speed could be beyond serious injury and may include death. But maybe on their last dying breath they can proudly hold up their middle finger one last time.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Flooding 2017”