A plea to boaters...

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: A plea to boaters...

Post by WalterWhite »

totoramona wrote:The Provincial Park boat launch at Soorimpt between Penticton and Summerland is open. There has been no request by the province to refrain from boating. There is absolutely no reason to keep a fishing boat off an 84 mile long lake.

Again, because there was no formal request from the municipalities. This isn't about fishing boats, canoes, kayaks, sailboats - and you know that.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

totoramona wrote:Fishing boats, party barges, sailboats, jet skis, ski boats.... all different uses and purposes but all capable of going slowly, avoiding shorelines, being careful and respectful. Publicly shaming a person for being on the lake is wrong. In the last couple days I have seen sailboats, a fishing boat and one ski boat on the lake. Just sitting there. What's wrong with that?

All of the above, not leaving a wake...no problem.
Any of them creating a wake COULD cause a problem..

Intentionally causing a wake near flooded areas is just plain ignorant..

It would be poetic justice, if that boat were to he found and someone drilled dozen of holes in the hull, while saying..He can afford it... :200:
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

WalterWhite wrote:
totoramona wrote:The Provincial Park boat launch at Soorimpt between Penticton and Summerland is open. There has been no request by the province to refrain from boating. There is absolutely no reason to keep a fishing boat off an 84 mile long lake.

Again, because there was no formal request from the municipalities. This isn't about fishing boats, canoes, kayaks, sailboats - and you know that.

It IS about that when they close the boat launch because many fishing vessels are on trailers. And many people use large boats to fish, park, swim, sun bathe and just plain enjoy the lake without causing any harm. Those people are being shamed if they even dare to BE on the lake. Shamed by mayors and people oh so willing to judge normal thoughtful, empathetic citizens as idiots who would purposely destroy property.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Just goes to show how one bad apple spoils it for the rest. No wake means exactly that and you'd be surprised as to the speed that causes a wake. Trolling is obviously very slow but I wonder how many fishing boats would take the time to troll to their favourite fishing spot.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I an not seeing that.. It seems many are staying off, simply to avoid the hassle and possible damage...
Plus maybe they dont enjoy going much slower , to keep the wake down..
So if you must go fishing go ahead.. But I think it can be done without a large boat.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

WalterWhite wrote:

totoramona wrote:It IS about that when they close the boat launch because many fishing vessels are on trailers. And many people use large boats to fish, park, swim, sun bathe and just plain enjoy the lake without causing any harm. Those people are being shamed if they even dare to BE on the lake. Shamed by mayors and people oh so willing to judge normal thoughtful, empathetic citizens as idiots who would purposely destroy property.

The shaming as you call it is because they are simply being lumped in with the few ignorant asshats as previously noted that ruin it for the majority. That's human nature. Everyone I know with a boat is fully aware of the situation and why they've been requested to stay off the lake and have no issues doing so - even though they are also fully aware there's nothing stopping them. As far as those with boats on trailers no matter the size, bluntly I say that's too bad. Small inconvenience in the big picture for what will ultimately be an overall short time in an effort to simply do all we can to minimize the damage being inflicted to property owners and the foreshore in general with this current situation. It's a never before seen occurrence on this lake, and I for one have no issue with measures to reduce further damage. There's a hundred other lakes within very short distance from the valley for the same activities, however as I stated before, the tourism machine is going full out to ensure people come here to spend their dollars come hell or high water - literally.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

If the population consisted of people that exercise common sense and respect for each other, then of course having the lake and all boat launches open would be acceptable.

Those of you that feel it should not on account of the simplicity of being respectful need to take a look at the attitudes of the few here that have little to no regard for others in their personal crisis state.

It's on account of such idiocy, that those of us capable of reason and exercising that common sense factor see that it is on account of the few that the majority should not be allowed to use the public launches, nor should they be allowed access to the lake with their boats or their "scatty" attitude.

It's the voices of UN-reason I see posting here that have convinced me that a shut down of the lake to power boats is necessary and justified.

Those who think the tourism relies on access to the lake need to give their head a shake. Of course it will affect tourism. Guffahhhh.
That fact is no reason to put people's homes or the shoreline in jeopardy.
Our beautiful valley should NOT be reliant on tourism. We NEED to get back to being a food producing valley with a focus on sustainability. Deal with that.

Shut it down, and put boxes of kleenex by the gate for all the cry baby out-of-towners with no respect.
:cuss: 'em.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Graham Adder wrote:Those of you that feel it should not on account of the simplicity of being respectful need to take a look at the attitudes of the few here that have little to no regard for others in their personal crisis state.

That goes for you too:
Anyone that takes our shorelines for themselves by way of deck, dock, fence or boathouse can kiss my rose when their structures get taken away.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Fancy wrote:
Graham Adder wrote:Those of you that feel it should not on account of the simplicity of being respectful need to take a look at the attitudes of the few here that have little to no regard for others in their personal crisis state.

That goes for you too:
Anyone that takes our shorelines for themselves by way of deck, dock, fence or boathouse can kiss my rose when their structures get taken away.

Lol^^^

Interesting that updates to estimates of remaining snowpacks indicate most has melted, with only high level snow remaining - yet these guys are still skiing the telemark trails in Vernon.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/19 ... ng-in-June
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Fancy wrote:

That goes for you too:

Not sure what point you're trying to get across, but I'll stand by both of those posts I've made.

In one I am making reference to nature taking away what should not have been there. I still hold to that.

In the next I am stating that we need to recognize the fact that as a whole, we are not capable of showing respect for each other, and therefore should not be granted access to the lake.

The attitudes of the few I refer to are those that would with intent, go against the better judgement of the majority and drive their boats at speed or cruise to close to shore with no regard for those who are trying to protect themselves against that very issue.

You see, I'm Okay with Mother Nature taking back, but I do not condone people acting against each other in destructive manners.

Care to explain the point you intended to make, Fancy? It's unclear to me.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Fancy wrote:

That goes for you too:
Graham Adder wrote:Care to explain the point you intended to make, Fancy? It's unclear to me.

I'm being genuine.
I find your intended point to be unclear.
If you'd rather not further the conversation, I understand.
I just want to be clear that I intend no antagonism, but am being open to understanding your intended point.
:bethecoffee:
EZGuy

Post by EZGuy »

Lots of central Okanagan lake shorelines are not developed and a good percentage of the shorelines are rocky (except for Wood Lake). There are certainly opportunities for boating in the Okanagan without damaging sensitive shorelines however most all of the boat launches are closed. This past Friday I saw maybe 5 boats from the Pandosy area to the mill north of downtown - truely an unusual situation. They were going nice and slow and were well off shore. There was so much debris at Eldorado last time I was there the few folks with boats left them on the trailers and went home or to,try another location.

RDCO and municipalities had best get their collective "wisdom" working overtime because in 2 weeks Alberta and Vancouver tourists will arrive with their boats out of storage and expect to get 'em wet. If the powers that be know the launches are not going to be available get the word out NOW - The Okanagan is not open for business for boating and beaching. There is no shame in putting this out so people can make alternate arrangements ( go somewhere else or just don't expect to boat or enjoy the beach). It is shameful on the other hand if visitors show up unforewarned and have a lousy experience.

As a 20 year Okanagan boater I sure hope that the flooding situation rectifies soon! the 3 launches I have personally seen will need extensive and expensive repairs as the launch, maneuvering aprons, roadways and parking areas are eroded to the extent that they will require weeks of work after the water recedes.

Also the people in charge of setting Okanagan lake levels should be held accountable only if they didn't properly anticipate the high snow pack runoff and seasonal storms correctly. Very likely all of this damage, rehabilitation cost and loss of revenues could have been avoided by dropping levels in April. The costs of docks and launch repairs alone will be in the tens or hundreds of millions. Would historic lake level graphs be available and if so did they draw down enough. Ellison and Wood lakes are not managed right. Kalamalka Lake is managed in Coldstream. Let's ensure better forecasting in the future. Psssttt anyone wanna buy a boat?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

EZGuy, did you see the one at Lake Country on Okanagan Lake?

We photographed the damages and they are extensive. Closed obviously. And the quiet down there was something a local had said she hasn't experienced at this time of year, ever.

It's like November down there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Traffic comes to a stop when a boat launch is closed.
Imagine that.

Return to “Flooding 2017”