Sandbagging thread.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Sandbagging thread.

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Most of them are likely hoping f9r damage as the payouts will be astronomical. Just like in 03
That is just ludicrous as I highly doubt that anyone experiencing first hand this flooding event is hoping for damage - on the contrary.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Fancy wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Most of them are likely hoping f9r damage as the payouts will be astronomical. Just like in 03
That is just ludicrous as I highly doubt that anyone experiencing first hand this flooding event is hoping for damage - on the contrary.

*removed*

It wasn't even an available insurance option until 2013, Canada wide, and only 10-15% of Canadians have added it to their policies since.

So the majority of people directly affected by the flooding have no coverage, so no astronomical payout. Their only hope is government assistance, which will cover way less than the actual damage costs.

2003 was a FIRE. Everyone has fire insurance. Yes, many people who lost their homes in the 2003 fire, milked the crap out of their insurance companies, and ended up getting million dollar upgraded houses. I say that's on the insurance companies for not doing any research to see what the original house was, before just letting the homeowner rebuild, basically no questions asked.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 9th, 2017, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Yes if you live on the lake you are richer than God. Yes the folks who do live on the lake are very fortunate . Yes they certainly can afford to hire someone .

Unfortunately. We all can guess they likely have top notch insurance . Most of them are likely hoping f9r damage as the payouts will be astronomical. Just like in 03

first, no one has flood insurance. These people will all lose a good chunk of money if their houses are affected.

I come from a pretty well off, old school Kelowna family. I inherited a nice house on the lake on Abbott. My family owned it for 50 years. But no, it doesn't mean we're rich. We just happened to be here first, and bought the land for very little.

I had to sell the family house on the lake because I couldn't afford to pay the property taxes.

So yeah...I owned a house on the lake, so I must be richer than God.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hey Onestop, good to see you..
We are changing the name of one of the beaches you are familiar with.
Its no longer Hot Sands Beach..its What Sands ? Beach...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

totoramona wrote:I am surprised that many lakefront homeowners seem to be relying solely on volunteers, emergency personnel and charity groups for their sandbagging. Maybe it's just not making the news, but I know if my home was being threatened by floodwaters, I wouldn't be leaving it up to the goodwill of others to protect my investment. I would think there are contractors or handyman companies that would appreciate the work and maybe even do a more effective job of building a secure sandbag wall.

WalterWhite wrote:Not everyone can afford the expense - despite the assumptions by a number of posters that anyone living on the lake has more money than they know what to do with. Sandbagging also isn't exactly a trade - and I've personally never heard of anything like the "Okanagan Sandbagging Corp." Anyone in the building sector is already going flat out and not in need of the additional work - especially sandbagging.

Jflem1983 wrote:Yes if you live on the lake you are richer than God. Yes the folks who do live on the lake are very fortunate . Yes they certainly can afford to hire someone .

Unfortunately. We all can guess they likely have top notch insurance . Most of them are likely hoping f9r damage as the payouts will be astronomical. Just like in 03

Your ridiculous assumptions are so far from reality it's not worth debating. Do yourself a favor, and visit a beach access along Abbott this weekend, and take a moment to chat with some of the abutting property owners. They'll be easy to find out working continuously trying to save one of if not their biggest investments in their life - their home. smh
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Doesn't have to be Abbott - there are tons of places along the lake that don't warrant "they must be rich" notion. This isn't just about Kelowna and evacuation orders have been given elsewhere. Sandbagging has been going on up and down the lake.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i think its gone from boaters causing waves to an actual flood. i think money should come in form of disaster relief . once water gets highenough boats dont mattter . water level does .. i am for disaster relief :smt045
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Any type of wave action matters - pushes debris into other structures. People still filling sandbags.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A North Okanagan woman who hasn't left her property since May 23rd continues efforts to protect her home in one of the areas hardest hit by Okanagan Lake floodwater.

Cindy Brassard and her husband are on an evacuation order at the Louis Estates on Okanagan Indian Band land. That northern section of shoreline has more than 200 residences – both permanent and seasonal – under the evacuation order. The Louis Estates holds 67 of those residences.

“We're one of the few still standing,” said Brassard. “I haven't left here since the first big storm.”

With two, one-metre-high walls of sandbags standing around their house to create a moat and eight pumps going, the Brassards have been able to keep the water from the main floor of the house.

At least 6,000 sandbags have been used and Brassard praised all the people who have volunteered over the last number of weeks.

At the top of the list were the land's leaseholders, Ceil and Carol Louis.

“They have tirelessly sandbagged here and at the band office. They've helped everybody. They've brought equipment here. I can't say enough.”

Brassard said many in her neighbourhood had given up the flood fight and a number had water inside their homes.

The departure of residents brought some unexpected company for a few nights in a row when unknown people were seen approaching the flooded homes. Security has been brought in since then to ensure the houses are protected from thieves.

“We've lived here 18 years and the high water is not usually until the end of June. We never expected it to get like this,” she said, adding they have sandbagged only twice before and not to the same extent.

The moat actually saved the couple's house during last Thursday's windstorm, knocking out a part of one sandbag wall but not the one closest to the residence.

Brassard praised the groups of volunteers who came out to sandbag, while others brought in food and water, stating that her house wouldn't have had a chance without their help.

“People from all over stopped by to help and we're going to keep on fighting.”

The list of those she wished to thank included:

Electric Ninja and Mechanical
Shockproof Electric
Great West Equipment
Blenz Coffee Vernon
North Okanagan Hot Air Balloon Society
Cecil and Carol Louis from Louis Estates
Keisenwetter Trucking
Okanagan Indian Band Volunteer Fire Department
Vernon Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Clinic
“They have been wonderful,” Brassard said.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199199
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just got back from a trip around Okanagan Lake. We photographed as much as possible at several sites on Westside Road and Lake Country. Can't wait to see the pix. For those wondering about the old house at Kopje Park, it's not affected. They haven't even sandbagged it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

BC Wildfire Service firefighters have been working tirelessly on flood protection barriers since first setting up camp 38 days ago in West Kelowna.

Crews from 30 different regions across the province were called in shortly after Mayor Colin Basran’s urgent message to residents warning them of the impact flood water could have on their homes.

Hundreds of green and blue tents have taken over Westbank First Nation Land and has become home base for the firefighters on rotation.

Firefighters have been sandbagging for 10 hours a day, seven days a week. Curfew is 11 p.m. at the camp, meals are prepared and served on the land, and no alcohol is to be consumed at any point when crews are in town.,

“This is a pretty standard set up for us,” said Colby Olsen, Wildfire Crew Supervisor.

He added the camp is very similar to what they would experience fighting fires, but the work is quite different.

“We don’t often get a chance to work out in the communities like this and interacting with the people that we helping out so that has been really positive working right in people’s backyard and urban areas is a little different for us,” Olsen said.

The white pick-up trucks filled with individuals decked in red shirts and blue pants has been a comforting sight for many residents over the past few weeks.

Firefighter Stefan Nicholishen said sandbagging is very meticulous work but that it is nice to be around the public and help out when they can.

“Our fingers and hand gets really sore and our lower back, but you warm up through the day and it gets better,” he said.

Many of the firefighters have taken a beating from the repetitive work.

West Kelowna Assistant Fire Chief Darren Lee said they are seeing a lot of aggravated backs, wrists and fingers and asked many of them to make sure you are managing their injuries.

“It’s early in your fire season and I want you guys to be healthy so you can help the rest of the province out and not burn yourself out here in West Kelowna.”

It is not yet determined when the firefighters will complete their work in Kelowna and many have already started their second rotation.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199209

A big thanks to these great people who have worked alongside residents and helping those that couldn't do the work.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They had to go back to medieval times to find a solution, but a couple that used a moat system to save their Okanagan Lake property appear to be winning the battle.

While back in the day moats were sometimes filled with water to keep marauders out, in this case Cindy and Jerry Brassard have used a moat to keep the marauding waters of the lake from their door in the Louis Estates, at the north end of the lake near Vernon.

“You learn,” said Cindy Brassard. “You have a wall and then you have an area which is your moat and then you have another wall so if (the water) knocks down or comes over the first one and you have the pumps in the middle, if you have enough pumps you can keep the water out.”

It has taken 6,000 sandbags, a lot of hard work and the help of many volunteers, including the leaseholders, Ceil and Carol Louis who've battled to help save the 67 homes on that portion of Okanagan Indian Band land.

The damage is enormous and many of the Brassards' neighbours have given up the battle, some of whom fought until last Thursday's big storm wiped out their sandbag walls, leaving behind security guards to keep watch.

But they didn't have a moat.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199271
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

What happens to the sandbags after all this? Where do they all go?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Best case scenario - hired workers/homeowners etc. separate bags and sand at a sandpit.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

“We may very well dig holes in certain areas and just dump our sand in there and bury it,” said Weeber. “That was one of the plans discussed.”

http://www.keremeosreview.com/news/what ... -sandbags/

Return to “Flooding 2017”