Cherry Spraying

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
slootman
Übergod

Cherry Spraying

Post by slootman »

Its that time of year when spraying is needed to avoid having to share cherries with worms :) I have used sevin in the past for my cherry tree, but I don't believe its being sold to the public anymore. I have enough sevin left for this year but likely not next, so will need a new solution or a back alley pesticide dealer ;)

Have people had success using something else? Had them sprayed professionally that didn't break the bank?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Cherry Spraying

Post by TylerM4 »

Diazinon was the traditional spray used for controlling fruit fly used for many years. I've always been on commercial farms tho with access to commercial sprays - not sure what's restricted or not. Cherry is 1 fruit tree I'll never own/plant in my yard due to the requirement for spraying. As you know - you must spray some pretty nasty insecticides (and usually more than once) or your cherries WILL have worms.

When it comes to fruit trees, care, and spraying - government of BC does an excellent job of creating and sharing information for growers. Here's their article on cherry fruit fly. It contains a list of spray recommendations including organic (tho the organic sprays only work for killing flies in the larval stages):
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farmin ... -flies.pdf
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

make friends with a vineyard manager of one of the wineries - they will give you some
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

slootman wrote:Its that time of year when spraying is needed to avoid having to share cherries with worms :) I have used sevin in the past for my cherry tree, but I don't believe its being sold to the public anymore. I have enough sevin left for this year but likely not next, so will need a new solution or a back alley pesticide dealer ;)

Have people had success using something else? Had them sprayed professionally that didn't break the bank?

Sloot, cherry spraying report?
Is anything on fire yet?
Or did the hazmat suit cause your neighbours to call the police? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

I'll be good for spraying this year but probably not next. Cherries are all turning pink. Probably 2-3 weeks they'll be ready.

For next year...I'm not sure. Its not worth the cost to have one tree sprayed professionally. It might be time to look at replacing it with something else. Maybe another peach tree. Or those weird trees with 42 kinds of fruit on them.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”