Kaleden Fire

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Kaleden Fire

Post by Fancy »

Yes we know so I posted the link on the appropriate thread and we know this fire was also human caused.

UPDATE 10:30 a.m.

Kaleden Fire Chief Denis Gaudry says it will be “days” before they will confidently be able to say the fire is completely out.

“We are doing mop up on it from the perimeter in, you won’t see much smoke, but there is lots of sort of hidden spot fires,” Gaudry said.

The Fire Department will be taking a look at the 18 homes under a mandatory evacuation order this afternoon and making a decision on if residents can return home.

In addition to the one home and one out-building, Gaudry said they may learn of additional losses of sheds and other outbuildings once residents return home.

“The things is, we are in extreme fire danger, if we get wind on it this afternoon, we could get relights,” he said.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201045
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

pentona wrote:That was in West Kelowna; this thread is about the Kaleden fire. Cause yet to be determined or announced in Kaleden.

I was asked a questioned and answered it. What is wrong with that?
As for the yet to be determined..... human caused.
Occam's razor
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

JagXKR wrote:
I was asked a questioned and answered it. What is wrong with that?
As for the yet to be determined..... human caused.
Occam's razor

I still don't see any reports of how the fire started; just rumors. The links do not state much.

Stories are trickling out of Kaleden, from residents who had their homes saved by the hard work of the B.C. Wildfire Service and Kaleden, Penticton and Naramata Fire Departments.

The wildfire sparked in a stand of trees on Oak Ave., and quickly exploded to 6.5 hectares, swallowing one home and an outbuilding.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

pentona wrote:I still don't see any reports of how the fire started; just rumors. The links do not state much.

There was no lightning (see first post).
The fire is believed to have been human-caused and started in a stand of trees on Oak Avenue.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... 9b06c.html
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Fancy wrote:There was no lightning (see first post).
The fire is believed to have been human-caused and started in a stand of trees on Oak Avenue.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... 9b06c.html

Not disputing that there was no lightning; pretty obvious. There are other ways for fires to start without being human caused, however. Plus there is a huge difference between deliberately caused and accidentally. Leave it up to the experts to determine.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

pentona wrote:Not disputing that there was no lightning; pretty obvious. There are other ways for fires to start without being human caused, however. Plus there is a huge difference between deliberately caused and accidentally. Leave it up to the experts to determine.

Who said anything about being deliberate? But please enlighten readers as to possible causes that aren't human related.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Fancy wrote:Who said anything about being deliberate? But please enlighten readers as to possible causes that aren't human related.

Natural fires are generally started by lightning, with a very small percentage started by spontaneous combustion of dry fuel such as sawdust and leaves. Could have also been a power line that ran thru a tree; compost pile. I would be sure before stating human caused.

The power line sector is at fault for nearly half of all industry-caused large wildfires. Wind is routinely the co-conspirator, felling trees that snap active cables. I suppose you could say (but I wouldn't) that a fire caused by a powerline down was human caused because a human put the line up? Nope, not buying it til a definite cause is stated.
Last edited by pentona on Jul 5th, 2017, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

pentona wrote:Natural fires are generally started by lightning, with a very small percentage started by spontaneous combustion of dry fuel such as sawdust and leaves. Could have also been a power line that ran thru a tree; compost pile. I would be sure before stating human caused.

I will defer to the experts that have spoken out thank you.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

JBX wrote:Kaleden ostridge farm was hit may be a total loss. Damnit. They are good people.

This is not true. In the photo of the fire damage, the ostrich farm is in the upper left corner and safe from the fire. It came somewhat close though.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Bunnyhop wrote:
JBX wrote:Kaleden ostridge farm was hit may be a total loss. Damnit. They are good people.

This is not true. In the photo of the fire damage, the ostrich farm is in the upper left corner and safe from the fire. It came somewhat close though.

Yup! Was very happy to find out last night that it was mis-information. One of the people who is involved with getting said bird meat onto the menu at a winery we are involved with was told they had evacuated because it was on fire and well, you know how it goes from there.

Always happy to hear something didn't burn thats for sure!
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

pentona wrote:
Not disputing that there was no lightning; pretty obvious. There are other ways for fires to start without being human caused, however. Plus there is a huge difference between deliberately caused and accidentally. Leave it up to the experts to determine.

No one, except you, has mentioned "deliberately". The tiny percentage of fires naturally caused by non lightning are so infinitesimally small as to make them all but ignorable.
It is human caused and most people will agree. Determining exactly what caused it is indeed a job for investigators and I would never suppose to how, but natural no way.
Again...Occam's Razer.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
The "Examples" about the trees makes my point.

I'm done arguing with you.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

JagXKR wrote:
pentona wrote:

No one, except you, has mentioned "deliberately". The tiny percentage of fires naturally caused by non lightning are so infinitesimally small as to make them all but ignorable.
It is human caused and most people will agree. Determining exactly what caused it is indeed a job for investigators and I would never suppose to how, but natural no way.
Again...Occam's Razer.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
The "Examples" about the trees makes my point.

I'm done arguing with you.

Except for the famous lightning caused fire of 2003 that was the most devastating. How was the fort McMurray fire started?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Suspected to be human caused.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

The power line sector is at fault for nearly half of all industry-caused large wildfires. Wind is routinely the co-conspirator, felling trees that snap active cables. I suppose you could say (but I wouldn't) that a fire caused by a powerline down was human caused because a human put the line up? Nope, not buying it til a definite cause is stated.

Since the fire appears to have started in an orchard with trees, and being close to the roadway, its quite possible that a branch (remember, it was very windy that day) could have broken off and fell onto the lines. I wasn't there; no were most of you armchair experts. Leave it to those with experience in the field.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I enjoy how every fire thread turns into the same bickering about human causes.

[/s]
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”