What would you put there? A pondless fountain? Plants?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
mmt

What would you put there? A pondless fountain? Plants?

Post by mmt »

I'm new to gardening and had killed some,lol, including placing some phlox here on that rock mounded area, putting soil on the tarp and recover with rocks after. The area looks so empty, what should I do? I'm thinking of pondless fountain so to produce some moisture for other plants around, how much approximately cost for a medium size including labor for a low maintenance one?
The ground under the tarp is so hard and netted with roots, hard to dig. And the spot got almost full day sun which could kill a plant easily.
Attachments
rs2 copy.jpg
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: What would you put there? A pondless fountain? Plants?

Post by Queen K »

I'd buy nice big pots and grow plants in the pots. Lots of colour spilling out over the edges and a few taller plants at the back or in the in middle.

Personally I have eight wheelbarrows full of red and white flowers (for Canada's 150th Bday) in the front, but unless you want a rustic look, I would not go with that. My decor suits the house here.

I suggest pots because you can change the annuals for different colour combinations each year. Just an idea.

:biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I would also do pots. You could do your water feature in a pot as well.
The variety of sizes and shapes of pots is so great. I'd add some huge rocks in for interest as well.

Hot, dry, hard soil is always a challenge and pots would just be easier.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
mmt

Post by mmt »

Thank you QueenK and pbear, I use to put 4 flowering annuals pots (that you see on the side and the're thick ceramic) in the middle of that spot, I think because of the heat, they will go collepse around 1 pm if I forget to water in the morning however the sprinkler autowater evrey midnight before. But again, I agree it's least work idea and I think I will put more pots together to keep the temperature cooler. Hope they live. :biggrin:

QueenK, 8 wheelbarrowfull of plants is a lot,where do you plantshop? Asking many questions,I'm new to this town and still browsing :biggrin: so far my favourite shop and the greenery on Rifle. ArtKnapp plants seems healthier and stronger but man, they are pricy and I lost their point card from Vancouver shop.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I plant shop everywhere and anywhere. Garage sales even, that's how I got my yellow climbing rose. I even plant shop friends yards. ha ha.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

mmt wrote:Thank you QueenK and pbear, I use to put 4 flowering annuals pots (that you see on the side and the're thick ceramic) in the middle of that spot, I think because of the heat, they will go collepse around 1 pm if I forget to water in the morning however the sprinkler autowater evrey midnight before. But again, I agree it's least work idea and I think I will put more pots together to keep the temperature cooler. Hope they live. :biggrin:

QueenK, 8 wheelbarrowfull of plants is a lot,where do you plantshop? Asking many questions,I'm new to this town and still browsing :biggrin: so far my favourite shop and the greenery on Rifle. ArtKnapp plants seems healthier and stronger but man, they are pricy and I lost their point card from Vancouver shop.

You might want to try sedums for that area, there's a xeriscape society in town where you can get info. Not sure how to contact them though. Ah, Google my friend - here we go http://okanaganxeriscape.org/ some good info. QK has some sedums to share, and if you pop by Independent Grocers and Superstore, they're closing out their stock. Can Tire should be having their sales too though I haven't been by.

I love the Greenery also, and always feel sad when they close for the season. I got some pricey food plants at Art Knapps and boy howdy are they producing! I've had 5 cucumbers off my plants so far, though one might have been off one of my Greenery ones.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”