Campfire ban

okanaganforesttaskforce

Campfire ban

Post by okanaganforesttaskforce »

All campfires will be banned throughout Central Okanagan municipalities and electoral areas, effective noon Friday.

Rural areas outside a fire protection area and provincial parks are not included in the ban.

Those violating the ban could be fined and charged the cost of the fire department's response to a burning complaint.

Smoking materials should be carefully extinguished and motorists are reminded never to toss butts out of a moving vehicle.

If you see smoke please call 911 or
Report a Wildfire. To report a wildfire or irresponsible behaviour call 1 800 663-5555 or *5555 from a cell phone.
How hard is it to pick up after your self in the forest!!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Campfire ban

Post by GordonH »

^^^ as well those who tend to throw their cigarette butts out as they drive, please use a ashtray instead.
If your vehicle does not have one then go to any dollar store & get one.
Last edited by GordonH on Jul 6th, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Expect many more areas to implement bans in the next day or so.
I wish it would help but I fear the stupidity of humans will be just too much and up in flames we go.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

JagXKR wrote:Expect many more areas to implement bans in the next day or so.
I wish it would help but I fear the stupidity of humans will be just too much and up in flames we go.

It would help a lot if all areas would implement the ban at the same time. The TV news made it sound like it was anything within the CORD, which is not true at all. Only the lower areas covered by fire protection I believe have a ban in place; leaving the unprotected areas above very dangerous.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

pentona wrote:
JagXKR wrote:Expect many more areas to implement bans in the next day or so.

It would help a lot if all areas would implement the ban at the same time. The TV news made it sound like it was anything within the CORD, which is not true at all. Only the lower areas covered by fire protection I believe have a ban in place; leaving the unprotected areas above very dangerous.

Agree
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

So now the Southeast has banned campfires, along with the Coastal region, yet one of the driest areas (the Kamloops/Okanagan) still allows them (other than CORD)? What is with these decision makers; someone is asleep at the switch.

⚠ CAMPFIRE BAN ⚠
Effective at noon Pacific time on Friday, July 7, 2017, campfires will be prohibited throughout the Southeast Fire Centre to help prevent human-caused wildfires and protect public safety
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

pentona wrote:So now the Southeast has banned campfires, along with the Coastal region, yet one of the driest areas (the Kamloops/Okanagan) still allows them (other than CORD)? What is with these decision makers; someone is asleep at the switch.

⚠ CAMPFIRE BAN ⚠
Effective at noon Pacific time on Friday, July 7, 2017, campfires will be prohibited throughout the Southeast Fire Centre to help prevent human-caused wildfires and protect public safety

It's the same guy that was in charge of the dam at Okanagan Lake
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp

Interesting. I thought I heard about the Kamloops fire centre having a campfire ban as of noon today. That said, it's been hot for two weeks. I think the Ban should have come in 2 weeks ago.

during the 2003 fire storm in Kelowna, (I didn't live here at the time). I had a friend of mine tell me that he was stuck in a long line of cars all trying to get out of the mission. Smoke everywhere, and you could see the red of the fire in his mirror. And in front of him he see's a guy smoking and toss his cigarette butt out the window. It's really unbelievable how stupid people are. I have to wonder if that guy has the mentality that fires are lightning caused or something.

I've worked enough fires that originated on the side of road. In and around towns, that is how fires are often started. Human carelessness.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

youjustcomplain wrote:http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Bans.asp

Interesting. I thought I heard about the Kamloops fire centre having a campfire ban as of noon today. That said, it's been hot for two weeks. I think the Ban should have come in 2 weeks ago.

during the 2003 fire storm in Kelowna, (I didn't live here at the time). I had a friend of mine tell me that he was stuck in a long line of cars all trying to get out of the mission. Smoke everywhere, and you could see the red of the fire in his mirror. And in front of him he see's a guy smoking and toss his cigarette butt out the window. It's really unbelievable how stupid people are. I have to wonder if that guy has the mentality that fires are lightning caused or something.

I've worked enough fires that originated on the side of road. In and around towns, that is how fires are often started. Human carelessness.

way more human caused fires are from cigarettes, not campfires. the ban does not need to come the first day of nice weather
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

do have any clue as to how dry the bush is right now
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

LTD wrote:do have any clue as to how dry the bush is right now

i'm not saying we shouldn't have a campfire ban now. I agree with it completely. And yes I know how dry it is

I was just saying there is no need on the first day of nice weather as youjustcomplain suggests
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

sadly there will still be the intelligent ones out there lighting campfires anyway
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

again, i'd be more concerned about cigarettes than campfires. Why do so many fires start on the side of the road
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Finally the province has woken up. Bans cover our entire area now; about time.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#201260
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

gman313 wrote:
LTD wrote:do have any clue as to how dry the bush is right now

i'm not saying we shouldn't have a campfire ban now. I agree with it completely. And yes I know how dry it is

I was just saying there is no need on the first day of nice weather as youjustcomplain suggests

Oh, I guess I was unclear. Two weeks ago the forests were dry in the Central Okanagan. That is why I feel the campfire ban should have been in place then. Not because hot weather was on its way. Most camp fires aren't the problem anyhow. We always have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

As for cigarettes, we already have a ban on tossing burning stuff from our car windows. Short of building a large buffer zone on the sides of the highway that would be wide enough to capture burning materials tossed out of windows, I'm not sure there is a solution for stupid. :(

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”